Grizzly grip roof job

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by bnalley, Apr 17, 2013.

1. bnalley

bnalley New Member

Well, my 2 gallons of grizzly grip in snow white came in yesterday. Now I'm just waiting on my new roof to body seal to start the roof job on my '99 coleman westlake. It's roof is in good shape now with only a couple of very minor cracks, but I thought I'd get ahead of future problembs before they arise. I'll probably do it this weekend and I'll be sure to get lots of pics of the process for anyone who might be considering the same fix.

2. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

please do take pics and post. It's on my list for this year also. Just a few minor cracks but if water gets in it's the begining of the end.

3. cma7777

cma7777 Member

X2

We use to live near Forest City Arkansas. You have a lot more heat [SUN] than we do in North Carolina.

4. dpatnode

dpatnode New Member

Are you going to fix the cracks first? Make sure that any lamination issues are fixed. [2C]

I just finished mine in March and it looks good. Used 2 gallons of snow white on my 12' roof. [8D]

5. Camping Popup

Camping Popup New Member

Has anyone removed the abs roof before applying grizzly grip? I'm not handy at all and my brother in law has been gracious enough to volunteer to fix my roof. The whole thing has delaminated and cracked. I've been reading lots of posts about fixing the cracks first but he wants to remove the abs and then apply the gg. I'm not gonna argue with him, my camper has been sitting way too long, I wanna go camping. What do you guys think?

6. NeedtoRoam

NeedtoRoam Colorfull Colorado

Keep us posted on the Grizzly Grip repair. I think it's a good idea to apply it over the ABS before it is totally damaged. I would think cutting around the cracked area's removing the ASB and apply extra amounts of GG to those areas to get it level with the rest of the roof maybe the way to do it.
    Good luck, I'm interested in the out come of this repair.
    Fred

7. dpatnode

dpatnode New Member

The abs is critical to the structure of the roof and should not be removed. Fix the lamination issues with gorilla glue and the fix the cracks with plastic weld before applying the grizzly grip.

8. Camping Popup

Camping Popup New Member

I don't really have the ability to fix the abs myself and my brother in law want's to just take off the abs and apply the gg. I have sent him other conversations about saving the abs but he just doesn't want to go that route. I guess I will just hope for the best. What do you think will happen without fixing the abs?

9. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

I have a 2000 Coleman Westlake. Seems like I'm always chasing cracks. Ah...the love of ABS roofs! Where did you purchase the "grizzly grip"? Never heard of that stuff.

10. dpatnode

dpatnode New Member

Without the ABS the roof will start sagging. The ABS roof gets its strength from the lamination of the ABS to the foam. I am unsure whether the grizzly grip will provide the same strength. [RTM]

11. momma j

momma j New Member

I too was thinking of removing the outer abs layer from my pop up and applying grizzly grip. I say a video on youtube where a guy did this and it looked great when he finished. The abs layer of my pop up is falling to pieces, is already completely separated from the rest of the roof and the roof is sagging pretty bad. I would say it's too late to repair the abs layer because it's missing huge pieces. I just don't know how I will fix the sagging even if the grizzly grip does the trick for sealing the outside. Any suggestions from anyone who may have faced this problem? Thanks!

12. Sam III

Sam III New Member

I'm with MommaJ...
    Mine is already sagging terribly and the only way I know to fix it is to get another two inside AC brackets.
    Raise the roof a few feet. Set the AC brackets inside with 2x4's under them and let the weight of the roof rest of them for a few days to let it settle to the shape of the AC brackets. Then mount the brackets all the way through to the top to another hunk of metal or wood
    Then coat the whole roof with a sealant.
    The benefit is you will be able to use the new pieces in the top as mounting points for other things......

13. momma j

momma j New Member

Thanks Sam III,

Good idea with the brackets. Do you think the grizzly grip coating is going to be sufficient protection for the outside layer if I remove the abs material? Like I said I really don't feel I have much choice at this point because there are large sections already missing on the sides. Thanks for the advice!

14. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

What is this "Grizzly Grip" that you speak of? I'm not familiar.

15. momma j

momma j New Member

It's the stuff that they put on truck bed liners. Go to www.grizzlygrip.com for more info.

16. goblinn2

goblinn2 Midlothian, VA

I have pictures posted of where I removed the ABS roof first. It worked great and we are not worried abput the roof anymore.

John & Fran

17. momma j

momma j New Member

To anyone who has applied Grizzly Grip to the outside of their PUP:

Did you apply to the foam layer that's underneath the ABS? I have a 97 Coleman PUP and what appears to be under the ABS is a layer of foam. Someone from Grizzly Grip told me that the GG would eat the foam if directly applied over it. Does anyone know if this is true?

I have no choice but to remove the ABS layer because it is falling off by the pieces and large pieces are now missing so I couldn't piece it back together if I wanted to.

I just don't want to waste money on the GG and then have it eat my foam layer making my problem even worse.

Please advise!

18. Waterdoctor

Waterdoctor New Member

The guys at GG are correct. The solvent base in GG will most certainly melt the foam insulation layer. I wish I had an alternative suggestion for you to apply some kind of sealer or coating that would resist the solvent, yet give something for the GG to adhere to when you did apply it. I know fiberglass has been mentioned on the boards in the past, but if memory serves, it is too brittle to withstand the longterm flexing that the roof undergoes while in transit, as well as, the incessant expansion and contraction while exposed to normal temperature fluctuations between day and night. Additionally, I'm not sure GG would even be able to get a good adhesion to last very long. Maybe something like flexseal or similar RV rubberized roof coating may work for the short-term. Just my thoughts. It's certainly worth some additional research. I'm sure there are those here that may be much more enlightened than I am. Hopefully they will chime in and give you some guidance.

Steve

19. NWevo1

NWevo1 New Member

Any current stories/advice for using grizzly grip on the filon roof?

20. RKMHD

RKMHD Member

I pulled my abs off completely. I painted chassis saver over the foam to seal it and then that acted like a bonding agent for my Monstaliner. Check out my thread. Search my name you will see many pics. It turned out amazing. Looks factory. No leaks no issues. You just need to buy gorilla glue to bond the metal hold down plates back in the original spot and also buy an inexpensive track for your awning. That is held in place by threaded plastic drywall anchors will gorilla glue every 4 inches. I then used the Monstaliner over top of the entire thing for a little extra bond. I used the popup this weekend for the first time with 20 mph gusts and all is good. Give Eric a call at magnet paints and try it out he sells the chassis saver also