Grizzly grip roof job

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by bnalley, Apr 17, 2013.

1. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

How does one go about finding out what material their roof is anyway?

2. bubba

bubba New Member

I think the grizzley grip option is great and is in fact what I did with mine. In the process, however, I picked up a parts camper and now have an extra ABS roof available. It is in very good shape with no sag, no delamination, and no cracks. Also includes the AC brace. Fits a 12' box. I would hate to see it go to waste.

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/rvs/5283982102.html

3. AZbubs

AZbubs Member

Bubba - If you do not get any response here from someone interested in the ABS roof, you can contact Beckley's (www.colemanpopupparts.com) or Canvas Replacements (www.canvasreplacements.com) as they both sell parts like this and would probably either consign it for you or buy it for resale.

4. edh

edh Active Member

RKMHD-- I searched for your handle and monstaliner and came up with seven or eight threads; which one best shows the overall process that you used?

I had considered monstaliner originally but was leaning towards grizzly grip because, until you, not many people here seem to have experience with the monstaliner. Monstaliner doesn't have rubber chunks in it if I recall correctly, which seems like a plus.

How was Magnet paints to work with? How was the application process--any hassles?

5. Shaun-Camper

Shaun-Camper New Member

I recently competed my roof with the GG and found it was not the best to work with. The rollers that were sent with the GG fell apart within 5 mins of the first use of the GG I then had foam blue pieces all over. I had to sand it down the. I reapplied with a chemical based roller and it worked well. Only thing I regret is that there was not enough to re coat the whole roof after I sanded to get the old roller out of mess. I think I would need another gallon to finish it up. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. edh

edh Active Member

Shaun-Camper,
    Seems like I read a post somewhere about Grizzly Grip having a problem with their rollers at some point; most don't seem to have had that problem, but some clearly did. Might be worth a call to explain what happened, see if they will supply the additional GG given that the roller problem is what caused you to need more (would only seem fair). Please let us know what you find out.

7. Shaun-Camper

Shaun-Camper New Member

Thanks. I shot them an email and we will see what they say.

8. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

Just throwing this out there.....white electromastic roof coating.......I have been reading about the uses and function of the material and I think this might be the stuff I am going to try on my full roof rebuild after i seal the whole thing.......

9. edh

edh Active Member

I suggest searching here for others who used elastomeric coatings a year or more ago to see how they held up.

10. rschmidgall

rschmidgall New Member

I actually posted on another subject, but this one is far more active, so I want to follow up here as well.

I have a 2002 Coleman Cheyenne with the ABS roof. My roof has been cracking for a while, but I never realized it was an issue until a little piece started to delaminate. The good news is that even though it's covered in hairline cracks, only about 1 sq ft in one spot has actually started to lift, and that portion hasn't actually flown off yet.

So, I'm going to go with doing the roof job. It's sounding like the MonstaLiner might be the best option. I've seen several posts and no one has said anything negative about it. I'm interested in continued thoughts on that.

Should I just glue down the small portion of laminate that started to peel, and then apply the truck liner?

What should I use to clean the top and what else should I do to prep it to receive the truck liner application?

I have an AC unit on top. Can I just remove the plastic cover and apply around it, or do I actually need to figure out how to pull the AC (hopefully not)?

One more question: when I apply the truck liner, is it important for it to have the texture effect, or can I just skip that part?

Thank you for the help! I was so bummed to realize my predicament, but am starting to feel encouraged again because of this potential solution!

Thanks!

11. Shaun-Camper

Shaun-Camper New Member

I cleaned out all my cracks with a dremal and then sealed them all up with the MEK and ABS bb's. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I then Coates get with the Grizzly Grip and it turned out awesome. I had some issues with my rollers but he company made that right.

12. edh

edh Active Member

The rollers impart a textured effect as you roll it on. You can see pictures of it here and on the GG site. It looks sort of like a pebbled surface, similar to what you see on FRP at the home depot.

I'm not sure about grizzly grip, but I think monstaliner comes in coarser and smoother texture versions.

13. rschmidgall

rschmidgall New Member

Thanks for all the help! Here is my biggest challenge: most of the front 1/3 and back 1/3 are literally covered in these cracks! All of them, except for maybe one small spot, are still laminated (attached and adhering to the roof). I don't see any way for me to dremal them ALL out and fill them. I'm wondering if I can just cover them. Or, is there some other method I can use to pretreat? Thoughts?

Attached Files:

14. Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe 2002 Colman Niagara

I've read a lot of the how to threads and have learned a lot. I do have some questions before tackling this winter project.

1) I'm also curious about the hairline cracks as mentioned above. I want to just roll over them with the GG.

2) I would also like to not remove the gasket around the roof. Just tape it off and GG around it. Similar with the a.c. unit.

3) Sounds like a different roller should be used for the GG. Any suggestions on size and type? I want to have all the items I need before starting.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yukon Joe

15. Shaun-Camper

Shaun-Camper New Member

I had some cracks like this as well
    [​IMG] cleaned them out the best I could then wiped them down with the MEK and then rolled right over them with the GG. Looks very good now and solid.

16. Shaun-Camper

Shaun-Camper New Member

1. Just clean the cracks the best you can with MEK and just go right over them
    2. I regret removing my gasket because it would not go back on. I just got the new one yesterday and will install Wednesday for our trip to Disney Fort Wilderness
    3. GG kits come with the rollers already. If your concerned ask for a few extras with your order and the company stands behind their product!!

17. Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe 2002 Colman Niagara

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I replaced my roof gasket a few years back and don't want to take the chance of ruining it. That is also when I noticed the hairline cracks.
    Now that center crack I would definitely clean out and repair, but the smaller ones of to the side are more what I was referring to. Looking at that photo, it makes sense to clean and go over them. Thanks for the confirmation.

What color grizzly grip did you go with? Reading their product description, it seems it only had a shelf life of about 1 month. I am planning on ordering the GG once I get the roof prepped.

Thanks
    Yukon Joe

18. Shaun-Camper

Shaun-Camper New Member

Hello Yukon Joe - I used the pearl white. If I had to do it again I think I would have gone with the a slightly darker shade. I mean right now my pup looks like a giant white box when closed. To much white.

19. rschmidgall

rschmidgall New Member

Shaun-Camper - Did you just use one 4x8 kit from GG, or did you also purchase a second gallon? The single kit is rated to cover 90sq ft, but I often find that is overstated. What was your experience with coverage?

20. Shaun-Camper

Shaun-Camper New Member

The 4x8 kit would have been enough to cover with a little left over of I didn't have the roller issue. I applied two coats. You could use the left over to apply to abs end panels.