Gros Ventre Campground

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by MileHigh, Jul 16, 2014.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

Anyone been here recently? We are leaving for Yellowstone on Friday and planning on stopping here the first night about 3:00PM or so. I know that it typically doesn't fill but would like some recent comments from anyone...

2. dcel

dcel New Member

We were there on June 18th. Really liked how close it was to Jackson and the Tetons! After that trip, I think we will do a Tetons every year, and only do Yellowstone on the closing dates (because it is so crowded).

The immediate scenery in the Gros Ventre campground did not impress me, unless you love sage bushes. Our site probably could have been better, maybe you can find one on the river?

3. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

UT stayed there last summer and really liked it. When we were visiting him an elk wandered by. We have been in the area the past two summers and when we were in Yellowstone we stayed in Yellowstone. It was too good to pass up.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I was there for several days last summer. I liked it very much. It is FCFS and rarely fills up. We were at the outside end of one of the loops so we did not look out at any other campers from our site, just at a meadow and then a line of trees that stood along the river. Not only saw elk but several moose went by in the meadow during our stay there. We had trees on our site so there was some shade. It is in a convenient place for the entire south end of the Grand Tetons National Park and to the town of Jackson. HERE is my campground report on it including pictures. I'll definitely stay there again next time we go to the Tetons.

5. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

We liked it there when we stayed last September. Here is our site and some friends that were spotted near our campsite.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It rained while we were there and we really enjoyed watching the Mountain Bluebirds playing in the puddles.

6. TCwheels

TCwheels "All who wander are not lost..."

UT and Novagirl give great advise! We rode our bikes through Gros Ventre end of May this year. Not really our cup of tea, but lots of people love it. We stayed up in Colter Bay Campground and that worked well for us.

7. Sussya

Sussya Member

We were just there June 5, and it was empty. The scenery was not what I was expecting, and at first I was unimpressed. It grew on us, though, and we liked how close the campground was to Jackson and the Teton Visitor's Center in Moose. Mormon Row isn't far either, if you want to snap some cool pictures of old homesteads. The campground staff were SUPER friendly and accommodating.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also saw several moose in the campground, which was very cool. We were in Tetons & Yellowstone for a week, and the only time we saw moose was in Gros Ventre Campground. It is one of our favorite memories. Have fun! We loved it and can't wait to go back.