Gros Ventre CG, Grand Teton NP

Discussion in 'Wyoming' started by Unstable_Tripod, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Pronounced "Grow Vaughn," this CG is located in Grand Teton National Park, 11.5 miles southeast of Moose, Wyoming and 9 miles north of Jackson. Go south on Highway 89 out of Moose, take the Gros Ventre/Kelly turnoff and proceed to the campground entrance three miles ahead. The CG is FCFS (except for some reservable group sites) and has no hookups. It is operated by a concessionaire. The CG is arranged in a series of loops along the Gros Ventre River. There is an all-tent loop and a no generator loop. Generators can be used in the other loops from 8 AM to 8 PM. Quiet Time is 10 PM to 7 AM. The roads are paved but cracked or broken in some places. The pads are dirt/gravel and reasonably level. Many sites can easily accommodate trailers.

All campsites include a picnic table and fire pit. The bathrooms have flush toilets. There is a water spigot in front of each bathroom. The CG has trash collection and a dump station. There are no shower facilities but the Community Center and Anvil Motel in Jackson offer showers. Gros Ventre is the largest campground in the park and usually does not fill. When it does it is usually in the late evening. The CG is at 6,565 feet of elevation. The fee is $21 per night so I paid $10.50 with my Senior Access pass. We stayed there six nights, the longest stay in one place on our trip. One of the things we liked about this CG was that everyone actually got quiet at quiet time.

Our site, D-182, was on the outside of the loop so there was no one looking back at us. We had a clear view of the woods that were in front of the river. One morning DW was reading at the picnic table with her coffee and heard a clomping noise behind her, she looked up and saw a female moose only a few yards away. Other mornings and early evenings we saw two more female moose, one with one calf and one with two. The one with two calves also hung out at the registration station for a while one day.

Here is a picture of our site from the road.
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of the main "living quarters" of our site.
    [​IMG]

2. californiasgirl

californiasgirl New Member

[​IMG]

Here is our campsite at Gros V. Also, outside the loops facing the Teton Mountain range and fields. Except for the major SPUT(s) which are costing $750 to be fixed this week, it was a gorgeous place. We moved to Signal Mountain for the following three nights and scored a site overlooking the lake with electricity. Both campgrounds are really nice. Gros V doesn't fill up, but Signal is usually filled by 11 am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

We went to Signal Mountain first because we were coming from Yellowstone and I wanted to be by the lake. However, once into the Signal Mountain CG I didn't like it at all because the sites were quite small and all of them were crowded too close together. So, we bailed out and went to Gros Ventre instead. We are soooo glad we did. Your picture and mine show how spacious and far apart the sites are at Gros Ventre.

4. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Hope to stay at Gros Ventre on our current trip. Thanks for the write up UT.

5. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

And we did stay there while in the Tetons.

[​IMG]

Sites were good sized. We had a mountain view and the price was $10.50 with our America tge Beautiful Pass.

6. MickeySp

MickeySp Member

Anybody stayed here recently? This looks like a great campsite.