Grrr... just who does she think she is?!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Hanne, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Hanne

Hanne New Member

DH & I decided to pack up the PUP for her long winter's nap today. She's been popped up under a white canopy shelter for several weeks as we tended to some minor repairs and relocated some supplies into our NTU travel trailer.
    So I go in the PUP to tackle clean-up and removing anything fabric, when I notice a bit of bird poo on the dinette seat. Now why would DH have put the dinette cushion outside of the camper where it could get pooped on?
    A few minutes later, I picked up a small shipping box and peeked in the open end to see what it was. It was a board game I had ordered, and there was bird poo on the box. It dawned on me that something was not right. A few minutes later, I spied bird poo on the exposed styrofoam insulation on the window side of a bunk end. Aha! - apparently we had an uninvited guest inside the PUP!
    Not long after, I was back in the house and DH was pulling away with the PUP in tow, taking it to storage. Suddenly I heard quite a chirping racket, coming from the deck on the side of the house overlooking the PUP shelter, just as he was driving off. The racket went on for several minutes, and I finally went to have a look.
    Lo and behold, I found the little trespasser who had been pooping in the PUP! This sassy little Carolina Wren thinks she owns the place, and was scolding DH for driving off with her nice little play house! [LOL]

[​IMG]
    We believe she got inside through the gap in the canvas where we feed the propane hose inside for the Buddy heater. Apparently she was having a grand old time hopping around in the PUP and nibbling on stink bugs! She came around and perched near the garage door after DH came back, and started scolding him again! Maybe we should bring the PUP back and set it up again for her?! [;)]

2. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

I think find her a nice bird house with some hay inside it

3. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I guess it better than finding a mouse inside chewing on your wiring and screens and putting holes in the wood.

4. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

AAAAHHH that poor thing... she must have thought she had the perfect set up for the winter.

5. kpic

kpic New Member

Of course she was upset, she was evicted and lost all her furniture. [LOL]

6. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

what a shame for the bird, snow all over the ground and no where to hide now. It does make you feel bad but at the same time you can't have wildlife living in your investment. Maybe you could just purchase a birdhouse and place it in the area where you had the pup sitting and hope she will climb in and use it.

7. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Aww--I think she missed her flight South for the Winter. I thought wrens migrated....

8. Hanne

Hanne New Member

Carolina Wrens are quirky but so much fun to have around, because they're chatty and very playful - they think our patio furniture is their own private playground. They will totally ignore any birdhouse, but instead want to settle down in places like the wreath on your door, an empty watering can, a hose reel, the BBQ grill, the top of the house propane tank, a flower box 2 feet from the door to the deck - you get the picture! They just claim what they want!

Now she's hanging out under the deck, by the garage door fussing whenever we go in and out. I imagine since she was so rudely evicted from the PUP palace, she'll go back to her spot inside the top of the propane tank. DH said, "Maybe we should make up and give her some bread"? We ended up emptying the Shark "bug sucker" hand vac outside, so now she has a nice little pile of stink bugs to munch on.

I should also mention we live in the woods and have planted countless pine trees all around the property, so there is plenty of shelter for all the birds and wildlife. Right now there's plenty of food for them in the undergrowth, but as we move into the late winter months when the food gets scarce, we do put out seed to supplement their diet.

9. kpic

kpic New Member

We enjoy the birds also. The squirrels, aka the prince of thieves, supplement their diets more than the birds.

In winter, the deer will eat bird seed also, if they can reach it. [:D]

10. nycamper77

nycamper77 New Member

I guess birds like to camp too.

11. Hanne

Hanne New Member

Novagirl, I don't know? Maybe further north wrens migrate but this kind live year round in PA.
    Kpic, it's amazing how persistent those darn squirrels can be trying to get the bird feeder! Ours is on a thin pole 20 ft. off the ground and they still manage to get up to it. We usually end up putting out a corn pile elsewhere so they leave the feeder alone. That makes all the deer happy, too.

12. kpic

kpic New Member

Hanne,
    Squirrels are unstoppable, but the worst are raccoons. One of the machinists at work has a phone film of raccoons putting mud on their hands to climb a greased pole to get to the bird seed.

As birds cannot taste "heat," I thought I'd stop the raccoons. I put cayenne pepper in the trays and they ate the seed. Now, I was dead set and determined. I mixed a hell's brew of cayenne, flake red pepper, Jalapeno and Habenero sauces and they ate it.
    Finally, I took ammonia and put a splash in each tray on the feeder. It wasn't 10 minutes and one had his nose in it eating bird seed.
    At this point I capitulated and brought a plastic box at Wally world which worked with the raccoons until the squirrels ate holes in it. In total surrender, I bought a new plastic box set it by the door and brought the feeders in every night.

Humiliating... [;)] [;)] [;)]

Revenge was when I introduced them to firecrackers. [:D]

13. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Careful you are going to get a letter from PETA

14. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

PETA - pretty animals taste awesome! [;)]

I'd get out my old Daisy Red Ryder and have a little target practice. Give 'em a good welt... [}:)]

15. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I don't have any problem with squirrels. Get one of those bird feeders that has a spring loaded ring that shuts off the bird seed. They look the same as the bird feeders that spin off the squirrel but you can get them without that feature.

16. GeorgeHahnemann

GeorgeHahnemann Active Member

[8D] PETA-People Eating Tasty Animals [}:)] [LOL] [LOL]