Grrr.....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by silverfz, Aug 8, 2013.

1. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Too many hello threads :)

I am from Mass , First time popup camper shoper.

I have a 2011 explorer without the tow packages. the tow package is a rarity in this one. it includes a tow lock-overdrive lock for transmission , cooler and a transmission oil cooler.....
    needless to say bumbed. anyway i installed a class III hitch at the dealer. As per dealer , the car without including occupants and luggage is rated for 2000 lbs.

so i am looking at a camper in the 1700-1800 lbs range. any ideas?

2. ex-tenters

ex-tenters New Member

Welcome from the NW 'Burbs of Chicago.

WL

3. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

We used to face a 2002 Coleman Taos which was 1750 lbs. We towed with a Jeep Wrangled. Look for popups with 6(rare) or 8 foot boxes.

Good luck to you.

4. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

I'm not suggesting you exceed a 1700lb camper, even that would be tight when you consider the weight of passengers and gear.

But you can have a auxilliary tranny cooler installed, they cost under $100 and the labour should be about an hour.

As for the tow lockout, simply do what most of us do and manually lock out the highest gear when towing - in my 4 speed auto tranny, I just set it to 3 and go from there. This prevents some of the constant shifting that happens under load, which does increase the heat.

As for PUPs, there are a few 10 foot models without slides or bathrooms in that weight range, and if you pack light and don't carry water(fill up at the campground) it will help. My old Coleman is a 10 footer and weighs 1200 lbs.

5. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Ended up with a Utah Fleetwood 2010 .
    paid 9500$[No clue if its a good price], Dry weight is 2200 lbs. Call ford and they said the car will pull it easily with full load.

the car with a class 3 hitch,oil cooler , 5 adults[700-800 lbs] and 300 lbs of gear is rated for 5000 lbs towing.
    As i do not have the cooler , i was told by ford that 2200 lbs will not be an issue with fully loaded explorer. It will be maybe 600 lbs of people. 2 adults , 2 kids and a 8lbs dog.

if them temp raises i will add a cooler.

6. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Do you have a tranny temp warning light or guage ?

7. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

What's your GVWR? Which is the tow rating, the 2000 in your first post or the 5000 in your last post?

8. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Welcome from Central Mass!
    Check out the upcoming local PUP rallies on the PUP rally board!

9. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

My mistake - there is no transmission temp gauge.

speckhunter80 :
    The maximum total weight of the vehicle, trailer, cargo, etc. is 9920 pounds for FWD and 10096 pounds for AWD .Mine is a AWD

Vehicle weight : 4872 pounds in limited trim. Mine is XLT so some options are not there so its actually lighter .I do not know if it includes gas
    10096-4872 = 5132 pounds of combined occupant/cargo/towing weight

Say people and stuff 672 LBS [generous] - tow rating is 3500 lbs with a TOW Package [Mine does not have it].

Tow Package includes - Trailer brakes , Class 3 Hitch, Cooler [ I do not have this - hence the issue ]
    all i have - Trailer brakes and Class 3 hitch.

so from all the dealer and ford - i will be okay towing 2500 lbs .the car is rated for 2000 without the Class 3 hitch per manual. no one can tell me what is it witha class 3 hitch.we plan to take 2 cars and use the car to carry stuff and people.

currently this car will tow for a maxium of 50 miles or less on each trip

10. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Might want to check your numbers because all I am seeing is your GVWR is 6160 pounds

3080 GAWR front axle
    3300 GAWR rear axle

NEVERMIND, I SEE THAT YOU ARE POSTING THE GCWR NUMBERS

11. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Back from our first 3 day trip

Picked up the Popup on friday 11. The dealer gave me an orientation class for first time users. took an hour.

hooked it up and jumped on the highway back home and then to the camp site. total miles 100. the ford explorer engine noise was noticable when you hit the gas at the ramp to highway.
    i was doing 25 and merged at 65 mph with no issue. only noticeable thing was the engine noise when i stepped on it. drove up some very steep hill at the camp site. I did not notice the camper weight.

with little kids , wish we had a potty on our first trip. other than that a great trip

so paid 9k without tax and title. for a 2010 coleman utah. it had a little hot water tank and outside shower. sleeps like 6-8. we had me , my wife , 2 kids[3 and 5] and my motherinlaw with our dashhund. we did not even use the dinette or sofa beds.

we are hooked , just reserved a 4 day site for labour day.

thoughts :
    1) Having struggled back and forth with the size , we are happy as this package is easy to take down and tow. meaning we can take it out and set it up with no effort.
    2) the towing and size makes it very movable for long weekend trips and not tough for 2-3 day use.
    3) my friend brought a monster on sunday too, 33 ft for his first time camping trip[not camper - camping]. I mean we have atleast roughed it with tents. he has never. anyway it was tough to see a ram hemi 5.7 in first gear going up inclination. it weight is 7900 lbs . its a castle on wheels.But man it was hard to move that thing. furthur reinforcing that we brought a right size.
    4) IN a few years when it is time to replace my car , i will get a small truck and maybe upgrade to the hybrid which was just above our weight limit.
    5) Hard to find financing for such small amout. I financed 7k and most banks hit me with 10% intrest with a near 800 Credit Score. Called my credit union who gave me 5% .
    i guess RV financing is better for 10k plus purchase. I would brought cash if not for buying another motorcycle a month ago. the popup was a sudden thought and i did not want touch my emergency and regualr finances. next time i will plan ahead and pay cash.

12. kpic

kpic New Member

Welcome to the portal and to camping!

As you mentioned it twice, what do you mean by engine noise?

13. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

regular downshift and engine reving up. usually it hover around 1500 rpm to 2500 rpm.
    when i step on the gas , it rev`s to 3500 and with in a few secouds it gets to highway speed.

i expected alot of gear hunting, which it is not doing, which leads me to believe that ford is totalling low balling the tow capacity. even load with full a/c at 65 mph the engine never downshift and just lopping along on highway with grade.

btw, My eletric braket locks up in sand/gravel . On the road it too strong. not sure if this is the norm. Do you adjust it everytime after hookup. I turn it down and turn it up.
    it is so minute change. Is there is a way to fine tune this.

14. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Hello from Pennsylvania. Welcome to the site.