Guitar allowed in radio free area? (Ontario Provincial Parks)

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by pmt, Aug 9, 2020.

What do you think about playing guitars in a radio free campground?

1. It's against the rules and not OK

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. It's technically OK, but bad etiquette

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. It's OK

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. Other (Please explain)

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. pmt

pmt New Member

Searched but couldn't find other threads on this topic. Hope it's not a duplicate.

I'm staying in a radio free zone in an Ontario Provincial Park. I prefer non-electric radio free areas as they tend to be a bit quieter.

Some people a few campsites away pulled out an acoustic guitar and started playing. I'd say it's just as loud or even louder than a radio.

Wondering what the forum thinks: Do you think a guitar is against the radio free rules? Is it technically allowed or just bad etiquette? Or do you think it's OK? Poll is below :)

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

It's a lot better if they know how to play.

3. Greg H

Greg H Member

I would think it wouldn’t be allowed, but call the PP and ask. If it’s not allowed, ask them to send someone by to explain the rules to your neighbors, or walk over and explain it to them yourself if you’re in a good mood lol. I’m curious either way.

pmt likes this.
  4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Well, it ain't a radio and it's not amplified like a radio...

Never heard of a radio free zone in a campground.

Becky Roque and kcsa75 like this.
  5. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Member

i play guitar. i know when i have an acoustic it's not very loud. but rules are rules and i would definitely assess the particular situation before having a jam session outside.

6. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Doesn't sound like it's against the letter of the rules.

Would you be as upset if that campsite were singing kid friendly campfire songs? That's still not a radio, but is still making noise.

Milemaker13, myride and xxxapache like this.
  7. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I assume radio free zones are created for people who enjoy quiet while camping. I would treat any sounds coming from a campsite as violating the intent of creating a radio free zone. But even without that restriction I try not to allow any sounds or light to leave my campsite.

Having said this, I was in a Texas State Park, I believe Lost Maples, and walked over to the next campsite and asked if they could please play louder. The singer was really good and the group was trying really hard to not disturb anyone. We were enjoying the concert.

Strawhouse, pmt and 1380ken like this.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

From the parks website:

Operation of an audio device (such as a radio, stereo, TV, etc.) in a radio-free area is prohibited.

So, technically it is not prohibited. But I think it's in bad taste - the idea of radio free zones is so that campers don't have to listen to others' music, etc. Playing an instrument, singing, etc., defeats that purpose.

Keating likes this.
  9. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

Usually noise that is unreasonable to neighbors, especially during quiet time is not allowed in MN state parks.

Best to ask your local campground host or park ranger what they consider reasonable

I play acoustic guitar and people seem to appreciate the soothing soft fingerpicking sound around a crackling campfire. Some wave or clap. I don’t play loud rock songs or use a pick when camping. I always stop at quiet time or before.

Once a person came with an electric amp and that was not reasonable. But enough disapproving looks from passerby campers and he got the hint

pmt and Indiobravo like this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Only the campground could tell you if it’s against the rules.

whether or not I would like it depends on a lot of factors. Time of day, length of playing, type of music, etc.

xxxapache likes this.
  11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Is it okay to fart loud in a library?

JiffyPopJunkie and Jack Sprat like this.
  12. WrkrBee

As long as it sounds like shhhhhhhhhhhh.

Steveo4090 and rdyck like this.
  13. WrkrBee

Music has lost a lot since it was electrified and amplified.

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Radio free campground is a first for me as well, but yeah I agree a guitar probably does break those rules. Although me personally as long as they are playing softly I really wouldn’t care. Now extend that past into quiet hours yep, I would take notice then.

pmt likes this.
  15. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Music of any kind doesn't bother me one bit.
    Generators don't bother me.
    Couples yelling at each other and their kids all weekend does.
    Dogs barking all weekend because they are tied up and ignored
    all weekend is the worst.

xxxapache and pmt like this.
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

An ex co-worker told me how her husband would play his guitar around the campfire - people would come by and say "oh, I thought that was a radio". She thought it was a compliment...

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

By definition from Ontario Parks, radio free means zero noise, this includes guitar playing outside of the trailer. Now that said, I have accidentally a couple times booked into a radio free zone. I usually have a radio or Ipod playing all day, not loud enough to hear to hear at the roadway, but loud enough you can clearly hear it at the firepit. When I have been in those radio free zones, I have still had the music on, but low enough you could barely hear anything if you were more then 8ft from the speaker (to clarify, my speaker is a powered speaker that I plug the phone, Ipod or sat. radio into and it sits on a table beside the ice maker, so the front of the trailer is 8ft away from the speaker).. I have asked the park people the first time I ended up in to radio free zone about it, told them the radio was on, if it was real quiet, and they listened hard, they could just hear enough to say "yes it was on".. as soon as my a/c kicked on it was drowned out.. at that time they said" as long as it can't be heard past the front of the trailer, it was ok).. so I follow that rule when I do end up in a radio free zone..

pmt likes this.
  18. pmt

pmt New Member

They weren't that good at the guitar lol

I actually didn't mind it too much and they put the guitar away before 9 or so. Seemed pretty reasonable.

They left the next day so everything was good.

19. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Two of my kids play guitar. Best times around the camp fire listening to them taking turns playing. Last year my 14 year old son wanted to take his amp and electric guitar. That was a no go.

xxxapache likes this.
  20. mandinga

mandinga Active Member

I have often wondered that. They should call the area "noise free" if its purely for quiet. I was at Bon Echo, and went for a walk through the RF area. There were three campers in the area running their very loud construction generators. At the time it stuck me as disrespectful since I have never heard a generator, let alone a loud one in a provincial park, and it was in the radio free zone. The three campsites seemed to know each other.

pmt likes this.