Guitar Players

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by camper2009, Dec 2, 2012.

1. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

It was mentioned in passing on another topic, as to how many people on the portal are guitar players.

So the question is .. How many of us ( you) are guitar players plus a little info.

Ill start. Play acoustic guitar for fun. go to Bluegrass Festivals and Jam and have one lot of fun. Have 4 acoustic guitars and one electric I built from a kit. have bought sold a few guitars over the years..
    G

2. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

I have a dobro that I plunk on now and then. I'm a big fan of Bashful Brother Oswald's music. I waited until I was over 60 to try to learn to play one. I don't have the drive to put a lot of effort into learning, but I can play a few tunes on it.

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I play the guitar. I was in a band in high school and college and made enough money to cover much of my college tuition. Haven't played professionally since then but still strum on it a bit from time to time.

4. dfab

dfab New Member

Back when I was a teen my grandmother gave me a guitar and amp , took lessons but never took it seriously. Now I'm having a small midlife crisis and own a epiphone gs with a cheep amp. I plan on lessons when money and time allowes but for now I'm trying to teach myself to play Lake of fire by Nirvana.

5. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

Not exactly a guitar player but I'll chime in because I played the bass guitar. Heavy metal band back in the 80's. We never got signed but it was some of the funnest few years I have ever had.

6. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

AHhhhhhhh mid life crisis, thats what causes it [LOL]

I took lessons when I was young and played acoustic through my teens. Then for about 25/30 years never picked a guitar back up. About 3 years ago I realized I could afford to buy decent equipment, which I could not do in my teens, and then the mid life crisis kicked in. I now have 3 Fender electrics, an Epiphone electric, a Peavey electric, 2 Fender elec/acoustics, a Yamaha elec/acoustic and an old Washburn acoustic. Also an assortment of amps, a pa system, and pedals and processors, loopers, most of which I do not even know all that they will do. All that aside I am really not too good due to lack of practice. In the winter I get better, but come around end of March camping and fishing take over and have to deal with work all the time. Another thing I've found is that guitar and amp purchases tend to start domestic arguments go figure? [;)]

I also have a good friend who is a hardcore guitar collector. He has his own jam room / recording studio where we try and play once a week during the winter. We usually have 2 or 3 guitar players, a bass player, a keyboard guy and a drummer. We seldomy have a good singer though. Just a bunch of old farts trying to be a rock and roll band.

As far as music I like all of it. Right now I am on an Allman Brothers and Gov't Mule kick with guitar.

7. rattlehead

rattlehead New Member

yup i play and nothing to me sounds better then a dimed out Marshall.i've played in a few cover bands over the years.and yes over the years my DW would ask"how many guitars do you need, you can only play one at a time"

8. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

After graduation my band and I hit the road, played 6 days a week 2 shows a day for 11 months. Had some cool opening gigs and to quote Buffett "made enough money to buy Miami but I pissed it away so fast" after spending 24x7 with the same person (drummer) I decided to hang it up (it was either that or go to prison...I would have killed him) when I came "home" I didn't open a case other than to check humidity for two years. Five years later I lost the tips of two fingers on my left hand. I was primarily a singer and bassist but losing the ability to play guitar really hurt my writing. Seems like every fall I get the urge to do the band thing again...thankfully that passes rather quickly :p Still sing and occasionaly jam with my musician friends but that's about it for now...of course dd2 doesn't stop singing and ds2 started playing one finger piano at 11 months so I'm probably not done

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

9. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I play(d) classical since I was about 12. Was ok at it, can pick, strum, finger and pluck. Used to be a fair reader, could probably pick it back up with some lessons but play mostly by ear. I tootle around with it occasionally and currently have three, no, four. My newest being a Samick, all acoustic. If I were having a MLC, I'd take up a girlfriend since I already have a guitar and a wife (wife would probably use the guitar on me if I did however. Gives new meaning to "stringing it up").

Actually, if, when, I hit my MLC, I may seek a choir to join up with. On one of my campin trips this last summer, I got roped into doing an impromptu barbershop jam session with a group that was camping near us. They invited me in after DW threw me under the bus when we stopped to watch and hear. i must have been ok cause they gave me a solo after the second song and they didn't throw rocks at me. Maybe I'll do both. Who knows...??

Happy Campin'

J

10. eckertsbrew

eckertsbrew Member

I started out playing classical at 12, then when in high school got some influence from others to play electric. I ended up doing nothing but play guitar outside of school. I continued my classical and played many restaurants, hotels and dinning places with a buddy. We only made some tips and free food at this. As for my electric thing, I played in a few different bands in and out of the 80's 90's playing mostly glam and metal. I played in and out of LA and Orange County. It was a great time and would never change it. To this day I still play and have a fantastic wife who can sing about anything. She has pushed me over last 10 years to start singing, so my playing has changed a bit. I am not so much into the shredding thing and more into writing songs.

A few of my guitars are:

Taylor Baby (for camping)
    Taylor 714ce
    Taylor ns54
    Taylor 214
    53' Guild X175
    70's Musicman Sabre
    GMP Roxie times 2
    GMP Pawnshop (Les Paul)
    GMP Double Cut-a-way
    80's BcRich Gunslinger

Keith [Guitar]

11. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

^ Nice collection ! Love the Taylors !

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

12. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

acoustic, trying to learn how to play. i took some lesson but that didnt work out well ....but it looks pretty just never have time to dedicate my time to it! [:(]

13. Old_Geezer

I second the "nice collection" of eckertsbrew.

I take it you really like those GMP's Keith?

14. eckertsbrew

eckertsbrew Member

Yes, I do really like them. They are great guitars made by a small company in San Dimas California. The company was only open for 10 years and produced approximately 1100 guitars. I have been told someone bought the name and has reopened but I have not played any of them yet.

A few pics.

Double Cutaway
    [​IMG]
    Roxie Semi hollow body
    [​IMG]
    Roxie
    [​IMG]

15. ZPARTY

ZPARTY New Member

Still playing.... Started in the 80's Thrash Metal bands... You can find my band on FB "Magus Beast". Never made it big but my band has played with many national acts. We are playing with Queensryche in March. I have too many guitars, but the 1's you will see onstage with me most of the time are:
    Gibson Explorer
    Jackson USA custom Soloist
    Jackson King V
    ESP 7 String
    The 1 you will see with me around a campfire:
    Ovation shallow bowl all access acoustic/electric
    Though I must admit I always try to play the acoustic like my electrics and that never works out very well \m/ [:(O]\m/

16. MIPeaceDudeCamper

MIPeaceDudeCamper New Member

I don't play any instruments, but I really like hearing acoustical string music at campgrounds. On our first trip out close to home last year the kids were really stressed out and stressing me out, around dinner time our neighbors pulled out a violin and guitar and played some very nice music (bluegrass? folk?), the kids quieted right down and we had a nice relaxing dinner. My little boys were actually dancing and the baby kept peaking at them around the corner of the PUP. So... I'd like to encourage all you to bring your instruments out camping with you and use them (but leave the loud rock and amps at home).

17. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Earliest music memories are picking around on my grandads mandolin. Picked up a bass in highschool and played in a few garage rock bands, then went back to the family roots in old time music. I will be the first to tell you I am no muscian, but play a few tunes on guitar banjo fiddle ect.

18. Old_Geezer

Nowhere near the collection of eckertsbrew and some others in the thread, but here are most of mine.

Fender American Standard Strat, blocked bridge, EMG active SA pickups.
    [​IMG]

Fender Blacktop Telecaster - MIM
    [​IMG]

Fender Standard Telecaster MIM - Craigslist find - 1996
    [​IMG]

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
    [​IMG]

Yamaha APX500 II
    [​IMG]

Fender T Bucket 400CE
    [​IMG]

Fender DG10 CE, $20 Craigslist find.
    [​IMG]

19. eckertsbrew

eckertsbrew Member

Old_Geezer,

Nice collection. I really like the top on that T-Bucket.

Keith

20. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

I consider myself a middle-aged beginner. Like dfab, I think it was a mid-life crisis.

Always a music lover, never a musician, never played an instrument in school band or anything.

It all changed some years ago when I took my 5th grader to the music store to rent a trombone for his school band. There it was... the "wall of guitars."

I stood there staring "Uhhhh..."

"Come on Dad!" said #1 son. I wiped the drool from my face and we took care of the business of renting a trombone.

Next day, I told my colleague at work about the wall of guitars.
    "I always wanted to play the guitar" he said.
    "Me too! Let's go over there at lunch."

We went to the music store at lunchtime. This time two of us staring at the wall of guitars.
    "Uhhhh... "

Salesman asked if he could help us.
    "Uhhhh..."

Finally my colleague spoke. What would we buy if we wanted to learn to play guitar? The salesman starts his speil. "Waddaya lookin' for? "Acoustic, electric, solidbody, hollowbody, humbuckers, blah blah blah... "

"Uhhhh..."
    "We want electric guitars!"

"Ok, well here's a StratPack. Guitar, amp, strap, tuner, picks, all in one package for a nice price."
    We consider this and head back to work.

I pretty much forgot about it until months later when my phone rings on Christmas morning.
    My work colleague on the other end of the line says "Hey, listen to this..."
    "uhn uhn uhnnnnn, uhn uhn uhn uhnnnnnnn..." (Smoke on the Water riff)

Of course I had to run out and buy one, and thus began my musical journey.

That first guitar was an American Standard Strat along with a cheap Crate amp. We had a great time making noise until our wives kicked us out of the houses!

I later bought a Taylor 310CE and after worrying about taking it camping, a Korean made Breedlove dread that is my beater.

I've discovered no hidden prodigy inside and now I believe I'm facing diminishing motor skills [:D] and I still don't understand music, but it is a most relaxing and fun hobby! I do enjoy sitting around the campfire and strumming a few chords.