Guitar Players

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by camper2009, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Ok, My DS (18 yrs old) is the guitar player in the house hold. American Fender Strat, Washburn House of Blues (this actually sounds pretty good), a Fender six string acoustic and my DW's old Ovation six string acoustic, . He does pretty good with these.

I was the 5 string banjo bluegrass picker when I could still play. I had an offer to join a country band way back in the 80's but declined, I didn't think I was good enough. Jammed with the Good Brothers once or twice. That was in a different lifetime though. Carpel tunnel surgery in both wrists and now trigger finger in both of my middle fingers requiring surgery has put an end to it all a long time ago. [:(]

Old Geezer, thats a great looking collection.

2. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

I picked up an acoustical guitar in high school and taught myself on a basic level. Never got very good at it though. Mostly entertained myself during high school and college. Haven't touched it much since. It is still in the coat closet. Wish I had taken it more seriously years ago.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

3. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

I picked up my first guitar when I was 12(?) after listening to a friend playing Black Sabbath tunes one day after school...on a guitar he borrowed. I tore up my fingers on a cheap acoustic weeks later. Never took a lesson, still can't read music- done it all by ear. Now 40, I can look back on a half dozen cover & original bands, a summer tour or two, my name on a CD or three, countless open-mike nights, dozens of basses/guitars/amps. I still break out the axe(s) on occasion and belt out a few favorites when the DW isn't home so I can crank it up a bit. I enjoy singing and playing the acoustic round' the fire on occasion, or just in the man cave to amuse myself or reflect on days gone by.

4. catmanblue

catmanblue Only thing better then fishin is campin and fishin

[Guitar] Are you planning on bringing it to the Illinois Rally in May? The DW and I love sitting around the campfire listening to good homegrown music instead of the radio. [Guitar]

5. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

We play a few instruments, guitar for me

[​IMG]

6. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

looks like Clifftop

7. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

or looks like a lotta fun

8. ADK Explorer

ADK Explorer Member

Ive played for 20+ years. More of a collector than gigging player these days. Camp guitar is a '93 Taylor 412.
    Main guitar is a '13 Taylor custom GAce (Sinker Redwood over Macassar Ebony [emoji847])
    Old Reliable is an '06 Taylor 814ce.
    There are also 2 Baby Taylor's (one rosewood and one koa(
    And the there's the 1996 Gibson Chet Atkins SST. Quite literally, the black sheep of the family.

9. Singinmom

Singinmom New Member

We are new to pop up camping, but have camped once or twice a year for decades. My DH is the guitarist, I am the singer. He can play anything. Jazz, Latin, rock, classical.... He usually brings a not so nice guitar along. He gets frustrated not having one of his nicer guitars to play, but doesn't want to the chance of damaging one that he likes. Instruments don't like extreme temperatures. I hope people enjoy our very quiet campfire music. Although we are both musicians and music teachers (I currently teach 4th grade), I don't like when people play radios at a campground. In general, I don't like when people play their music loud enough to invade other people's spaces. Also, I totally agree that camping is a great time to bring your guitar along even if you are a beginner; however, years ago we went to this very small out of the way campground. There was this teenager or 20 something in his tent playing an ELECTRIC guitar. He was a beginner and playing "Smoke on the Water" pretty badly. I guess he had some kind of battery operated amp, because there was spcertainly no power. So, guitarists, please don't bring amplification! Or turn it WAY, WAY, WAY down. Haha.

10. rognkat

rognkat Member

Ok, from reading these I gather quite a few people bring instruments camping. I'm going to be "camping" at my dad's place at the end of the month(hopefully). I have a question regarding guitars especially acoustics. How do you store your guitar for the trip and while you're camping? I have a hard case for my Yamaha acoustic and plan on using it for travel but once I get there will it be ok stored in the case due to possible change in temps i.e. warm days,cool nights? What other precautions should I take to keep moisture/heat at bay? Thanks.

11. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

Rognkat- Keeping your guitar in the case and out of the sun will be the best you can do. Your guitar will acclimate itself as temps rise and fall with outdoor conditions. You won't be able to control humidity either, so don't put a lot of effort into that while your axe is with you on the trip. [:D]

12. flat_twin

flat_twin Member

Somewhere I read "If you're comfortable, so is your guitar". My better guitar is a Larrivee OM-19 and my beater is my Mom's old nylon string classical with a laminated top. It came to me with a couple of cracks but still plays and sounds good. I keep it as comfortable as possible but I don't worry about it like I would the Larrivee. Extreme swings in temperature and humidity are really hard on them. Especially if the guitar is a light build.

13. StageLover

StageLover Member

Fifty years back, we were camping on Cape Breton and a family from Richmond, VA came in with their PUP. My dad and I went over and helped with the set up. The dad mentioned that his daughter and niece, both my age, were along and looking for something to do. I said to tell them to go down to the cookhouse after dinner and look for the guy with the guitar. So, that night, there I am playing some Bob Dylan when in wander two girls. One, a golden blond comes up and asks "Are y'all Barry?" Well, as soon as I heard that honeysuckle accent, I was smitten as only a 16 year old can be. Thanks to the car throwing a con rod, we had to stay an extra week! Once we got home, we corresponded with plans to meet up the next year. Sadly, at the end of the summer, we ended up moving back to Vancouver from New Brunswick. While she and I still exchanged letters for a while, 4000 miles seemed like an impossible distance in the 60's and eventually the letters stopped.

A few years later, a friend wanted to learn guitar so I taught him and we had a garage band going for a while. Then, he moved up north to play bar gigs and his girlfriend somehow became my girlfriend and we lost touch. Two years later, she dumped me. I went to a party and there was Chuck, back from the north. He had a band going and invited me to join. We were the house band at a local steak house. Later, another steak house wanted a band so he suggested that I head up that band. I thought about what my future path might be and decided to finish my electronics training and work in that field instead.

Then I got married to someone who felt my music was a waste of time and that all ceased. I did, at least, get to teach guitar to my younger son and he became better than I ever was. However, he never followed that path either.

Fast forward to 12 1/2 years ago. The marriage was on its last legs and I had been taking my guitar to the beach to hang out and do a little writing (nothing outstanding, more therapeutic than anything). I was sitting with some friends, playing my latest song and noticed a pretty woman hovering nearby. She was there again the next day so we got to talking and I started playing my songs for her. Soon after, my mother passed away which became the catalyst for my exit from the marriage. Dar and I have been together ever since. One of the many great things about Dar is that she loves camping whereas my ex hated it.

A few yeas ago. a group of us at work formed a band and played at 3 of the company Christmas parties. Other than that, the guitar has been mostly silent, although, after reading this thread, I did pull one out, tuned it and strummed a few chords. Now I have to harden up these fingertips.

14. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

A lifelong regret was giving up guitar at a young age but my pre-teen hands and an adult sized Yamaha acoustic just didn't mesh. So a couple of years ago I was walking through an antique store looking at bamboo fly rods when I saw a Epiphone Les Paul Jr minus the pickups and strings. $20 later I walked out with the LPjr gutted it and started learning how to rebuild and set it up thanks to some friends that do have a band. A Squire Strat, Silvertone SS3, and an Echo Modelo 12string later, I'm rebuilding, refinishing them, and learning to play. Love the Blues of Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Albert and Freddie King and so on. The dog however seems to be overly critical!!

Attached Files:

• lp.jpg
      lp.jpg
      File size:
      82.8 KB
      Views:
  15. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I've been playing for a little over 40 years. I recently saw a t-shirt that best describes my abilities: World's Okayest Guitar Player! I now own the guitars that I will die with: 1978 Stratocaster, a Takamine 12 String, and a Martin SWDGT.

16. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

From a storage practicality point, I built a 3 string CGB and will be taking it with us this weekend. Not worried about being too careful or theft since the box cost a buck and I had the tuners and strings laying around :)
    http://www.cigarboxnation.com/

17. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I've always been more of a choir geek. Nothing better to my ears than some cathedral chamber music! That being said, I learned a few songs in HS on a $20 pawnshop special. Mom bought me a decent Ibanez acoustic later that year for Christmas. 25 years later, it stills looks as good as the day I unwrapped it! Got rid of the cardboard case and put it in a hard case last summer. I bought a $20 special for my kids to learn on, and when they showed talent/interest, I moved them up accordingly. I love karaoke and performing, so I've had a few PA systems over the years. My son and I will be running the live sound for our local Farmer's Market this summer. His first paid gig! So far this is what our collection consists of:

Me: Ibanez PF-50, 12ch stereo PA system with 12in cabinet speakers
    DD: Washburn acoustic/electric with cut-out, Alida tenor ukulele acoustic/electric with cut-out
    DS1:Fender acoustic/electric with cut-out, Yamaha TRBX174 bass
    DS2: (inherited) $20 pawnshop special, Yamaha piano/midi controller, Novation Launchpad

18. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I am happy to see one or two others in my situation. I started playing when I was 13. Took lessons for a few years. Went to college and really started playing more, and learned a lot. After I graduated, I played a little bit, but life changed my priorities, and I stopped playing. Fast forward 25 years, and my daughter is 13, and is now taking lessons, and I have renewed my love for it. Luckily I never got rid of any of my equipment, even though the wife tried. I am now finding out that the rust is very heavy and fingers don't move like they used to, but I am getting better, and having fun with it. I really regret not sticking with it in the first place though. I have a few guitars, an Alvarez 12 string acoustic, a Guild Madera 6 string acoustic, an Ibenez thinline acoustic/electric, my original Westone electric from 1985 still looks like new, an ESP/LTD 1000FM Les Paul, and am now saving money to buy a PRS custom 24. Still have my Peavey Bandit 65 amp, and now a Fender Mustang II amp (which I really like) and also several pedals. My daughter has a cheaper but nice Jameson thinline acoustic/electric as well.

19. dirkdabass

dirkdabass Member

I always go camping with my acoustic bass guitar. Always. No point in leaving it behind; no point in leaving the house if they won't let me take my bass. It's better than a "beater" but I leave the good stuff at home. Somewhere in the back of the TV there's a battery Pignose. I always look forward to finding guitar players at a campsite. I always ask around. They almost never say no. Lotsa bluegrass festivals. Lotsa jams. For me, that's what it's about. Bring your darned instruments to the campsite. We're bound to meet up sometime.

inthedirt likes this.