Gulf Coast Camping this weekend?

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by disneysandi, Sep 1, 2011.

Should I cancel my maiden voyage to the Gulf Coast this weekend?

  1. Yes, cancel now.

    2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Wait to see what they say later today.

    1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. No, life is an adventure.

    1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. No, they generally exaggerate the risks.

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. disneysandi

    disneysandi New Member

    Messages:
    341
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2011
    Well, our maiden voyage is with a group of friends to Buccaneer State Park on the beach in Waveland, MS. Our actual size is about a block or so from the beach, not directly on the beach. Everyone else in the group are either in 5th wheels or bunkhouses. They are waiting to see what the weather plane says later today. This morning, my bf called me as soon as he woke up (waking me up as well) to tell me that weather channel has a forecast that worries him. He does not want me out there with my kiddos, especially since he won't be there. A little rain does not worry me, the high wind and possible tornado warning do. I tend to go with my bf's gut and will more than likely yield to his advice as I normally do. I don't want him worrying about me all weekend.

    Now, the standard policy at this state park is that this late in the game is that you get a 50% voucher for what you have paid good for the next 12 months. I am not sure if it is good for any state park, only MS state parks, or only this particular state park. I paid $72. I would get a $36 voucher. Not a big financial loss considering the possible danger. I plan to call to cancel and see if they will give me an actual refund or at least a voucher for the full amount. I think they should do that considering the weather risk. Do they really want a FULL campground should a major weather event occur. There is a lot of road construction. I can't see them getting all those campers out safely in short notice.

    OK, I am pretty sure I know what I am going to do but just want to hear from the "experts" on here.
     
  2. disneysandi

    disneysandi New Member

    Messages:
    341
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2011
    I called the state park today, which is in Hancock County if I am not mistaken, and they said there were "no advisories issued so only standard cancellation policy". Well, according to Weather Channel, there are several advisories issued and I feel that they should be offering full refunds. They said that they have had a ton of cancellations. I think it is just BAD customer service to be following standard cancellation policy when there is a potential TS, which could be a potential hurricane, although unlikely, sitting out in the Gulf. I have seen storms organize quite quickly. This SP was destroyed by Katrina, how can they be so cold? She said, "call back at 8 in the morning and we will have more information." I have not officially cancelled because I am hoping that they come to their senses and humanity and allow a full refund, not just 50% voucher.
     
  3. Travelhoveler

    Travelhoveler New Member

    Messages:
    2,337
    Likes Received:
    9
    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2011
    As far as I can tell from the news reports, the forecast now is just for heavy rain, and no hurricane, not even a tropical storm. I can understand the park maintaining its policy until a tropical storm is formally declared. Personally, I'd go camping unless the forecast worsens.
     

Share This Page