Gulf State Park, AL

Discussion in 'Alabama' started by smoreking, Jan 13, 2012.

1. smoreking

smoreking Member

Does anyone have anything to say about this park? I had reservations there a couple years ago but canceled because of the oil spill. I can't find any good pictures and wonder if it has any shaded sites. Of course you don't go to the beach to sit in the shade but I went to Myrtle Beach State Park before and you could walk to the beach or be completely shaded at your camp site. If anyone could comment and possibly give specific site numbers for shaded spots to reserve that would be great. Thanks

2. smoreking

smoreking Member

Bump

3. rarin 2 go

rarin 2 go New Member

We just returned from Gulf State Park, after spending the Holidays there.
    The beach is about a mile away from the campground.
    The sites are not shaded because of Hurricane damage and some careless
    camper that left a grill unattended and burned 950 acres this past June.
    Most sites have shrubs and natural vegetation around them.
    They have also built a new swimming pool right at the campground.
    We try to go there each year and have always enjoyed ourselves.

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I was thinking of going there but did not want to make a long trip without knowing it would be a good place to camp out. I went to several two campgrounds in Myrtle Beach, SC Loved the Pirateland Campground.... it is a family oriented campground. I parked my popup 3 rows away from beachfront. Apache was pretty good... it had severe sewer spill into the beach...

5. smoreking

smoreking Member

Thanks for the replies. I think Gulf Shores is probably the closest beach to me, but I can certainly say only good things about Myrtle Beach State Park,SC. I may have to go the extra miles again knowing for sure we will have a great time.

6. jmbrunson

jmbrunson New Member

did you go?? tell us about it... want to go to the beach Christmas holidays

7. smoreking

smoreking Member

Still have not gone to Gulf State Park. We did go again to Myrtle Beach State Park SC. If you search the name, I did post some pics of our site and the beach. That may be further than you want to go. We looked online at Grayton Beach State Park, FL. It isn't far from Gulf Shores and we may check it out in the future.

8. missnanc

missnanc Give me the fresh outdoors!

We visited Gulf Shores SP in May. It was great! nice clean park, level lots, full hookups, pleasant staff. large pool, a short drive to the beach and fishing pier. About 25 miles to NAS Penascola, had to go see the Blue Angels while we were there. Down side, no fires and very few trees (lost to a hurricane a few years ago). But we do plan to go back again, we had a fantastic time..

9. coach2006

coach2006 Member

Gulf State Park is very beautiful and affordable. Absolutely clean and kid friendly with lots of campground friendly activities. Love Gulf Shores, go every year! :)

10. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

For about the same distance check our Big Lagoon in the Pensacola area. We have been to both parks and Big Lagoon is shaded and a close walk to the beach. The beach is on the Intercoastal waterway and not the Gulf, but the waves are there and pleanty of shade.