Gut check on Ram 1500 TV

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by anothersmith, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Nick81

Nick81 New Member

I dont have figures in front of me but my daily driver and TV is a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 with 4.7. It has the tow package. Camper is a 2001 Jayco 14 SO. Tows great. I dont know gas use pulling but not that much more it seems. On road not towing is 17mgp
    In town 15. Almost dont know i am pulling camper.

2. RonDad

RonDad New Member

Once, I had a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with the smaller V8 engine option. I wouldn't recommend it for towing. On the MPG front, the smaller engine had to work so much harder (frequent downshifting) than the larger option, I often got worse MPG when compared to friends. I imagine you'll find the same results with the V6 vs V8 unless there's something to compensate (like Ford's ecoboost). I'm not familiar with newer RAM's solution to better MPG, but the GMC V8's will disable half the cylinders when at cruising speed. In that case, you have the power when you need it. With a V6 no-turbos, you get what you get. :)

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Thats is the MDS system that have been on the Hemis since 2008.. They call it Eco mode.. since 2010 (I believe) they added an eco icon to the digital multifunction odometer, because other then the feel, people didn't know it was on and working..

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I found the GMC thing to be crap, its basicly there to save on MPG so they can hit the numbers needed to satisfy the goverment. I do belive thats why my truck sucked at accelerating, there was a slight delay in hitting the gas pedal and the engine responding. On a pup it wasn't a problem, with my TT it made it harder to gain speed to enter hyways. I dont have that problem anymore, the 2500 dont have to be under any emitions standerds, so hit the gas and go.

5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Having driven manuals all my life that and the weakness of engine braking were the hardest things to get used to learning to drive the Silvey. It seems to shut off when you pull it down into 3rd gear so when I think I'm going to need throttle response or engine braking I typically drive in 3rd, using overdrive only when cruising. I use the shifter a lot more than I would have expected a few years ago.

6. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

If the payload is ok and the rest of the truck is good jump on it. A friend of mine has a copy of the truck I have 2018 4.6 F150 crew cab 3.55 gears. I joke about mine slowing down when I get on the gas then slowly gaining speed. His was about the same. He changed the rear end to a 3.73 and it runs like a rocket. The factory is going to put the highest gear they can. He claims that he gets 1 mpg better with it. I am planning on changing to the 3.73 gears and installing an Eaton electric locker. Around town a lower gear will not hurt and my highway travel will be towing or if not towing we go in the JK.

7. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

NO, NOPE, dont do it. That V6 is underpowered in the smaller Jeeps that it came it. You'll have to hold it to the floor to get anywhere with a trailer like that.

xxxapache likes this.
  8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

If you have a 2018 F150 with a V8, you have a 5.0, not a 4.6.

9. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

I posted that wrong The old fat finger curse it is a 20018. Sorry about that.

10. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

I pulled the trigger on a Ram 1500 Express with the Hemi V8. Towed the PUP with it and it’s great!
    Our poor minivan can rest easy now that the truck has taken over the towing duties.

thanks for the input all.

Attached Files:

11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

A few months ago we were looking at a new Ram 2500 with the Hemi. This is because we were leaning to getting a TT. We plan on going out west and a lot thru the mountains. So getting a 1500 with the V6 was out of the question! But we ended up not getting it because we saw a Class C we really liked and then we were going back and forth. So, for now, it's all on the back burner. And now I might be retiring at the end of this year, so that changes our decision making as well.

We have driven thru Colorado thru the mountains and we tow with our 2012 Ford Explorer with our pup and passed F150's / and 1500's with V6's and they were towing TT's...By the sound of the engine as we passed them....the engines were screaming!! If you are planning on going thru mountain passes get the bigger engine! Get the V8! Why put more strain on a V6...

That's just my opinion!!