Guy's Day Out - November 28, 2009

Discussion in 'Biking' started by themanfromvan, Nov 29, 2009.

1. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

The ladies in the family went to a craft show yesterday, so Robert and I decided to hit the great outdoors before it is taken over by deer hunters on Monday. In all we hiked just over three miles. About 5000 steps for me - twice as many for him. Check out our pictures by clicking HERE

I've subtitled this album, "Dave Takes Macro Photos Of Everything That Is Dead Or Will Hold Still". [LOL] [LOL]

2. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

Good job you were only shooting pictures, by looking at those pics you almost hit everthing thing insight [LOL] [LOL]

3. themanfromvan

Apparently, he was so impressed with the scenery and the God Rock, he had to take his mother and I back there today. We covered the same 3.4 miles today.

4. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

Great pictures. Time with your kids is aways great.

5. obnoxiousblue

obnoxiousblue New Member

Whats up with that Rock? How do people scribe thier names in?! Id be sitting there all day trying to leave a mark LOL
    Very cool though that it seems to transcend time what with names there from 1891!

6. themanfromvan

Actually, the Indian God Rock holds great historical significance to our area. Originally, the rock was carved by Native Americans with petroglyphs dating back to 1200 A.D. But, with erosion of the rock due to weather and high water, nearly all the original carvings are gone.

As far as adding your own inscription? A hammer - a chisel - and a hell of a lot of patience. [;)] [;)]

If you'd like to learn more about the Indian God Rock, check out this link - http://venango.pa-roots.com/indiangodrock1.html It is important to note that the Indian God Rock is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Here is a photo I took of the rock by wading out into the Allegheny River, about chest deep in the water -

[​IMG]

7. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    That is something really special. If I get back out to western Pa. I'll have to check it out.