GVWR Question

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by thethird152, Mar 23, 2015.

1. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

So, I've been doing a bunch of reading and came up with a question I've not yet been able to find the answer to.

Does the GVWR of a camper apply only to when the camper is moving? In other words, must one stay below the GVWR whilst actively camping in the pup?

The dry weight on the pup I'm picking up on Wed is 2405 lbs. Cargo capacity is 1095 lbs for a GVWR of 3500 lbs.

Now, there is an AC installed on mine, as well as twin 20lb propane bottles, so that's going to up the weight some. I'm planning on taking it to a public scale shortly after purchase so I know what it weighs as-is, then monitoring what I load into it. However, as an example, let's say (just for argument's sake):

Trailer as is sits at 2,600 lbs. This gives me 900 lbs to play with (with the realization that pushing it right to the limit is not a great idea).

I load 500 lbs of dishes, tools, linens, etc into it, which puts me at 3100 lbs, leaving 400 to play with.

Once we get to the CG and get set up, do I need to make sure I don't have 4 grown adults inside at one time (if their combined weight is > 400 lbs)?

Thanks guys!

Paul

2. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

My understanding would be that it is the maximum weight that the trailer can weigh when loaded for towing.

When parked at a campsite or at home, your trailer could weigh more. However, there are limits to what the frame, axles, stabilizers, etc. can support. But, I don't think this is part of the GVWR.

3. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Don't count the people, only the loaded weight going down the road.

4. supton

supton New Member

When it's parked it has stabilizers to help take the load. Even more important, it is not bouncing over potholes; shock loading can multiply weight several times.

If you are really worried, change the tires out for a load range up, or change the tires up a range when it comes time for tire replacement. I'd be more concerned about keeping the tires properly inflated, and then keeping highway speeds to 65mph; weight matters but I think more problems revolve around tire overload and/or underinflation.