Had I only known the expense to follow.....

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by sturedman, May 25, 2012.

1. The Postman

The Postman You gotta love Camping!!

Been there, done that for sure. We wanted a newer camper after we sold our older Starcraft. We found a real nice one on a dealer lot here, but wouldn't you know it the new one was 2x the weight of our old one. Oh, darn, we have to buy a bigger truck!!

2. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

I don;t think I'd need to upgrade my tow vehicle. It has has all the power, and towing capacity I need to tow my camper. And even though it's 22 years old and has 456,000 kms (285k miles), I have the utmost confidence that it would tow the camper across the country with no problems at all.

The only thing I would like is more carrying capacity. Being a former 3x station wagon owner in the past, going from 87 cu.ft to 15 cu.ft of cargo space puts a real dent in my ability to carry any sort of equipment, and I find that that small of a trunk sometimes just doesn't cut it. If only there was a way to make the rear seat fold down like a station wagon...

Other than that I wouldn't trade my Lincoln for anything in the world... except maybe for another station wagon.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

4. Ruger22

Ruger22 Living life to the fullest!

You're going to love the Trailblazer. We are in our 3rd year with ours and travel 1500+ miles in our annual trip to Sturgis SD. Very comfy even with 5 people in it!

5. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Guess I should consider myself fortunate in that I need a pickup for work. My Dakota's rated for 7K towing so no problem with a PUP. Kids are growing so the back seat's getting smaller. Next TV is probably a F-150 or Tundra in a yr or two.

6. gglplex

gglplex Jesus is Lord!

Funny you mention the Trailblazer. We traded our minivan in for an'07 TB because I liked the extra towing capacity. Then we sold our pup and eventually got a newer/bigger one (a little bigger than what I had planned but it was a good deal)--now, once again, our TV is towing at the top end of its capacity!

[​IMG]

Now I'm looking for a 4-door full-size pickup; once I get one, though, I can fully see myself looking at a (larger) hybrid camper. (sigh) the vicious cycle never stops! [8D]

7. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

We traded in our 06 Eddie Bauer Explorer for a 2011 F150. It pulled our 86 Skamper just fine but DH was always worried. We fell in to a great deal and ended up with our trade getting about 20K off the sticker. Now we have more towing capacity and want to upgrade. I want a hybrid DH wants a TT. I am sure I will win since I made him get the pup and he loves it but set up is getting tiresome.

8. papachaz

papachaz New Member

this post wins [:D] [:D]

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Can Hear Engine Valves Rap On Long Extended Trips Sorry, couldn't resist... [:D]

10. 2jazzy

2jazzy New Member

We love our old Trailblazer!

11. bigbluetraverse

bigbluetraverse New Member

I was the other way around. I had a 2004 Starcraft 8ft small and was an easy tow for my 07 Colorado PU.

However, we saw the Traverse for the first time in 2009 at the MIS car race and the first thing that went through my mind was GEE I could get a bigger camper..

Well of course couldn't get a 2009 Traverse in Canada they sold out in weeks So picked up a 2010 in Jan 2010. Love it and....

[​IMG]

BIGGER CAMPER ha ha.

12. nomoretent

nomoretent Member

Just got a used Eddie Bauer Expedition from a family member, now we have to sell the F-150 - anybody want to buy it?