Haggling on a new pop-up

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by dg53, Feb 25, 2017.

1. dg53

dg53 New Member

Ok, help me with this please. I live in northern Illinois and we recently had an RV Show. Camping World said they would match a price I got at the show. Any thoughts on how much bargaining room I would still have? I suspect prices at the show would be pretty close to bottom line. The Pop-up is a 2017 Rockwood HW277 and the RV show price $13900. is I'm a newbie at the RV purchase process and would love input from the pros. There is always room to bargain, but I don't want to insult either. Is there a service where I can pay to learn true wholesale cost? Thanks!

2. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Usually msrp price means to take 30% off... Not exact math but usually on new car/camper/etc.

3. 4my2girls

4my2girls New Member

Looked around a little and I think 13k. Is a great price for a new trailer. Their new 2018 models come in this summer if they still have a 2017 that's a good deal but yes you may get another $500 off if you go online and look for that model. Added research will help. Our trailer dealer here in CA offers a free year at a camp ground when you buy a new trailer. Also they throw in a propane BBQ. If yours does ask and if not see if they will.. it's a beautiful trailer and it won't lose the value like a car 3 years you can still sell it at a good cost if you take care of the canvas. Definitely a good investment, how exciting. [:D]

4. dg53

dg53 New Member

Thanks! I appreciate the input. Especially the part about the trailer holding its value.

5. Colonel

Colonel New Member

The story of my 2107 2280 bhesp
    When I was looking for mine I did a lot of online research as I don't have a local dealer with PUPs. I found two dealers that were "close" 2 hours and 4 hours away. They were essentially the same except the 4 hour one had a/c. The one that was 2 hours happened to be at a show so the Mrs and I headed down knowing we would buy it if they would move on price. When we finally found the pup at the show it said $11800 (msrp was $14110) "lets negotiate" under the price. We found a salesman that knew nothing about the popup at all. When I asked what options it had he said it's fully loaded except a/c. A side note fully loaded to means every option which it did not have. I further asked a lot of specific questions and all I got was very general answers. Being very frustrated as I could get more answers online I started to walk away and he said let me know what I can do on the price. We said the heck with it and waited. He came back several minutes later saying it looks like we've made a mistake this is at cost and we cannot go any lower. I smirked as they has a price match or $500 policy. I pulled up the exact model that had ac for $10999, keep in mind the lowest possible price was $11800. He said well let me show my boss this, I told him I'm coming as it's on my phone. We went back and he asked me no less than 5 times the other dealers name. I showed him my phone and the ad, he said that is not possible they would lose money. I replied guess I get $500 then? Let me see what we can do. He came back with 10999 but they wouldn't install a because dealers put picture up with more options the the pups have (probably meaning they do). I swiftly pointed out it said Coleman Mach 8 ac with heat strip. I was then told that can't be right again it must be miss labeled. My smart A calls the other dealer and asks for the options on that stock number. He confirmed it had ac. The "manager" then had to call someone else over. He said we can't match that and showed me the details of the price match. If it is below what this dealer considers a reasonable price we are not obligated to give the potential buyer $500. I was not happy but is what it is. I said well if you want a sale you know what price you have to hit. He asked for my number, I supplied it and walked away. Within 15 minutes I got a call back saying they would match it and Add ac. We walked back and they came back with 10999 and they would include a 50a converter, wheel covers, and a BAL lever. I decided to buy it but while signing the papers they never had add ac on the bill of sale. I asked where does it say this price includes ac? Oh we forgot that..... they added it and we finished signing.

After the pickup and "demonstration" we continued to be underwhelmed by the dealer. I am glad YouTube exists or I would have struggled with the HW heater.

So to help you out. Don't be afraid to walk away multiple times. You have the upper hand in negotiations not the dealer. If they won't move start trying to have them add options they have in stock.
    I got 22% off msrp and was able to get ac, a BAL level, wheel covers and a power cord converter. I would agree with the 30% off msrp is realistic if you want to fight for it. Just go to the dealer informed and know what other dealers have.

Sorry for the long winded answer

6. dg53

dg53 New Member

Thanks for the great info!