Hail Damage...

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by CarNutCass, Apr 20, 2011.

1. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

[:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(]

We've had some goofy weather the last couple weeks. Last night we had a pretty rough thunderstorm roll through. I inspected my truck during my lunch break today and I have hail damage. Bummer. Guess I'd better go down to the storage lot and inspect the camper.

Disclaimer: I'm a gearhead and I love my vehicles so this hurts.

[:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(]

2. wardog

wardog Member

Sorry to hear that. I too love my vehicles and hate the thought of hail damage. I have been lucky so far here in Texas this season. We have a had hail 3 times in the last 2 weeks. The first was 4 days after I got my new Suburban and all I could do was stand there and hope it survived, which it did. The next one I was more prepared and got the garage cleaned out to park it. Then again yesterday as I pulled into the garage after work it started hailing again. The rest of the cars are too dirty to tell yet if there is any damage and I haven't wanted to go check on the pup yet.

3. GtStricky

GtStricky Member

We got nailed last year on a camping trip. Not hail, but accorns. Dented up my wife's 2 week old car. PUP was fine. I saw about 10 dings on the car but when I took it to the shop they hit it with some special lights and there were about 80 dings. Insurance took care of it.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

We don't get hail very often but I am concerned about it now that I have to leave the Trailmanor outside in a storage yard. The cars stay in the garage and the old PUP used to fit in there too so I had no hail worries then. The other possibility is that it hails when we are out camping. Then TV and camper are both exposed and we'd just have to deal with it.

5. mv520

mv520 Active Member

Just passing on an idea - My PUP anti-hail defense shield consists of sheets of 1/2" thick 4x8' extruded polystyrene sheeting ($10 for 4'x8') which I cut to fit around the A/C and top dimensions and just lay on top of the PUP. Held in place with a breathable cover (not tarp). [Lets not start a cover vs. no cover debate here]. Of course the doesn't protect the sides from glancing blows, but so far so good. In experiments (not on the PUP) I could hit it with a baseball bat and not leave a dent on aluminum sheet underneath. Once hail season is over, they stack up against a garage wall so take up little space.

6. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

Mine is in the garage but i was concerned about the tv we had the bad storm last night in this morning but at least your did ok

7. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

My TV got nailed by about 500 ping-pong ball sized hail balls last Sunday. Wrecked the hood, roof, plastic window vent covers, smashed the windshield out, plastic grill between the hood and windshield.... The insurance just wants to write all the cars off that were in the parking lot with mine, so if I want it fixed, I have to fix it myself.

Nothing like screwy weather.

8. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

That's not a bad idea.

9. zuley

zuley New Member

Wrenchgear, where do reside? The KW area got nailed pretty good last weekend. I've been dealing with a few body shops this past week that are working on hail damage repairs. One of the shops I was in had 2 vehicles stroked as a result of hail damage.

10. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

We're fortunate to have a large number of paintless dent repair places around here because hail is not terribly uncommon in the Spring.

11. Wrenchgear

Zuley....

Wrench here..

I'm in Heidelberg, near St. Clements., but I was out in Shakespeare when I got nailed by the hail last Sunday. Was pretty bad out there, I've never seen anything like it. Expressway Ford out in New Hamburg had about 75 vehicles with hail damage. I heard from a guy that they have $1500 deductible on each of their vehicles. Thats a fair chunk of change.
    I think I'm going to try and find a used hood for my TV and pay for it out of my pocket as I have $500 deductible. I can do it cheaper than that. The roof is too high to see. I had a new windshield put in it. The rest is small cosmetic damage that I can live with. Its a 2001 so I don't want to put too much money into it.

12. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

Wrench, that really sucks. What about letting the insurance write it off and then by it back from them. Take the money from the right off to pay for the repairs and pocket the rest. When we bought back the wifes car after it was written off we had to pay 10% of the value of the car.

Rob

13. Wrenchgear

Rob...

I thought about doing just that with the insurance, but I just hate to deal with those guys. As soon as I call them and tell them about it, it'll be considered a claim and then my rates go up. - actually, they probably won't go up but I just don't want to take the chance. I can find a hood on Kijiji for $150 and I'll be good to go.

14. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

Wrench

I hear ya. Had years of dealing with them and lawyers after DW had her accident.
    And I dont know about you but they just keep putting my rates up even without claims

Rob

15. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I would imagine that if you've got a cover or tarp and your PUP has an A/C unit, covering it should protect everything but the edges. As mentioned earlier, the sides are glancing blows so likely not an issue.

16. zuley

zuley New Member

Hey Guys,
    Writing a vehicle off and then buying it back from the insurance company is pretty much a thing of the past. Once a vehicle has been stroked it is then what they refer to as "branded". It then has to have a structural safety done it before it can be deemed road worthy. Not too many shops are doing structural safety's any longer because of the liability associated with them.

17. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

The Canadian rules must be way different than in the States. I have a friend that had his CRV totaled by hail bought it back for $400. Spent $300 on a windshield and $550 for paintless dent repair. His $14,000 loan was paid off and he still owns and drives it...sure it's got a salvage title but who cares drive it till the wheels fall off.

18. tinbeater36

tinbeater36 New Member

just looking for some advice. i bought a 1991 coleman chesapeake. i wasnt planning on even insuring it but my agent talked me into it. it got hail damage that night. just wondering if its even worth messing with turning in a claim. it didnt hurt the ac but the roof has a ton of cosmetic dings. not sure what the pup is even worth... bought it real cheap and been working on cleaning it up. suggestions? advice? experience?

19. Norfolk

Norfolk Just let me fix this one last thing.....

I think it will depend on your insurance company and the relationship you have with your agent. I've been told that every claim you make works against you, even if the damage were caused by a 3rd party.

Even if there wasn't structural damage, the dinged areas may be more prone to wear-thru and water damage is the #1 killer of Pop Ups.