Hamilton Branch State Park, review needed

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by campinggordons, Jun 14, 2015.

1. campinggordons

campinggordons Member

We're considering going there and I'm trying to find out about cell phone reception in the campground. I work from home and need to be able to use my phone and also use it as a hot spot.

2. Jughed

Jughed Member

We've been at this park 3 times in the last 6 months - we love it. Just about every site is 3x normal size and most are lakefront. You can pull your boat right up to the sight.

The lake is clean with light boat traffic - unless there is a bass tournament.

Booking is easy - its not a crowded park.

But cell service is spotty. I can get enough signal for getting the weather radar or slow internet - but its not consistent.

3. camscrub17

camscrub17 New Member

I have Verizon and I've never had an issue with cell service and I've camped on many spots throughout Hamilton Branch.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

We've been there a couple of times and just returned from it yesterday. One thing to watch out for is many of the sites are T sites with one drive and a site to the left and a site to the right. Left side OK for tents or vans, not good for trailers. Backing into a left side site puts you facing away from the lake. Some left hand sites you can drive through the woods to free up the tow vehicle. Not sure how someone would have come up with that idea. Utility hook ups can be at odd locations, also.

BillyMc likes this.
  5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I haven't camped at this campground, but visit the area often. Cell is available in the area on both my Verizon work cell and my personal AT&T cell. The strength will vary depending on your exact location, carrier, and equipment. DW has lifetime pass so we stay at nearby Modoc or Hawe Creek federal sites for much less. If cell reception is a big requirement you may want to check nearby Hickory Knob or Baker Creek. They cater to the golfing type people, seems cell companies provide those areas with service well before other camping areas. There are a lot of campgrounds in this area as well as across the lake. I'm the type that prefers site with with weak service. I tell people that the service is weak and spotty where I'm going so when I turn my phone off and they can get me they think I have no service.