Hand crank help

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Explorer2011, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Explorer2011

Explorer2011 New Member

Hello! We bought a 2007 fleetwood highlander Saratoga pop up trailer a few months ago. It has a power lift. But the hand crank doesn’t work and I would like it for back up. The pin that’s through the crank is so worn down that when you put the handle on and turn it it just spins since the handle isn’t catching on the pin. I have attached 2 photos to help explain! Any idea how to fix this? We can’t get the pin out either we have tried. upload_2021-8-2_20-13-40.jpeg
    upload_2021-8-2_20-14-14.jpeg

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Does the pin move at all back and forth? Cut it and put something larger in. Or drill it out. I never had that type of lift. Or at least it was never a problem to notice.

firepit likes this.
  3. Explorer2011

Explorer2011 New Member

No we tried using pliers to pull it out but it didn’t move at all. My husband had said if we could figure somthing else out he would drill it out! We do have the power lift but it makes me nervous not having the hand crank as back up incase the motor ever gave out lol!

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The power lift may or may not have a manual crank on it. Maybe post a picture and make or model.

5. Explorer2011

Explorer2011 New Member

Here is a picture of the motor where it says the mode number.

upload_2021-8-2_21-17-31.jpeg

6. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Soak it with some penetrating oil.
    Pliers wont cut it ( big pair of vice grips maybe if u can get a bite on it) ..you need to use a block and a hammer or another piece of shaft to get it starting to move.
    If all else fails put some heat on it just enough to loosen it up if your skill level allows that.
    That pin is a press fit so it doesnt fall out.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Does the manual shaft spin when running the power lift?

To remove the drive pin, drill a hole in a chunk of metal a little larger than the pin and deeper than the pin is long. Turn the pin up and down. Hold the chunk under the pin and use a pin pinch (smaller than the pin) and hammer to drive the pin out. Replace it with a longer pin. The pin you drive out may have a splined middle.

Westcoast likes this.
  8. KRV75

KRV75 New Member

That looks nothing like what was on mine before I removed the electric motor and converted to hand crank.

Take a look at page 5 of this manual and you'll see the additional parts, 3 and 4, that mine has that yours does not.

9. KRV75

KRV75 New Member

Ignore what I said above about the extra parts. Those go on the opposite side of the motor, not the crank side. I just looked at the motor I removed from mine and your pin is definitely worn. You'll need to press it out, tap it out or drill it out and replace with good quality spring pin.

Westcoast likes this.
  10. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

By the pic...If you get it to move its gonna hang up on the burrs on the end of the pin.
    Those need to be removed with a file or emery cloth.
    Don't be afraid to use some muscle on it.
    You can also use a drift punch with a flat end and hammer it out or a old shaft the same size or slightly smaller.
    Once it starts moving it should free up but again get those burrs sanded or filed off first or it will hang up even it starts moving.

Rich Ard likes this.
  11. Everett Bartlett

Everett Bartlett Active Member

To get the pin out, you will have to drive it out, make sure to have a backup under it so you don't bend the shaft. Hope that it is not glued in with Locktite, If so you will have to heat it to at least 425 Deg to break it loose.
    Are you sure that the tool that you are trying to crank it up with is the correct tool, to me it looks like a tool for the BAL stabilizer jacks, and those are a loose fit on the jacks, and would be a too loose fit for the winch.

Westcoast likes this.
  12. Explorer2011

Explorer2011 New Member

Thanks everyone! For the advice!

13. Everett Bartlett

Everett Bartlett Active Member