Hand-me-down PUP.....where do we start?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by We3bythese@, Feb 12, 2017.

1. We3bythese@

We3bythese@ New Member

Hello, I am new to this site as well as pop-up campers.

My in-laws gifted us their 1987 Coleman Sun Valley, my husband used to go camping in it with them but that was a LONG time ago and now we are trying to get her in shape and ready to camp again. So where do we start? What are the priority things we should be looking at to make sure she is good to go? Any helpful hints would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

New tires, check the bearings, does it have a battery? if so, it probably needs a new one unless it has been maintained.

Good sections to check are "In the Garage" and "At the Campsite".

3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Welcome to PUP life, you will have a lot check out, start by seeing that the roof will raise correctly, check canvas (holes, tears, ect...). Water damage if it was not stored in a covered area. The list can go on and on. Before hooking power up to it make sure no wires have been toyed with or chewed through by those pesky mice. Being 30 years old check everything very carefully. Keep us posted with any results or questions you may have. Lots of good people here to help you.

4. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

Good tires (should replace at 5 years old) and good bearings are the most important thing. If it has brakes make sure they work. Then electrical systems would be next. Make sure everything is grounded and not running through the aluminum. Then canvass and interior comforts.

5. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

In addition to the running gear as mentioned before, if it pops up ok, and the canvas and cushions are good, I'd do camp driveway for a weekend or two to make sure you're set to go.

6. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Exactly and I'd add one more thing...while you're in the driveway take a hose to the canvas on a day it can dry. I'm glad I read that here somewhere when we bought ours as I found a small hole in the canvas that let water drip onto the corner of one of the bunks. Don't forget to let it dry thoroughly.

7. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

Welcome and congratulations. This forum is a great resource for every question you might have. Spend a little checking the sub forums. Have fun !!! [:)C]

8. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Having watched a friend go through a near complete rebuild of an older camper, I suggest a complete evaluation of everything from the ground through the roof, and from end to end. Do this before starting any thing, as you may find the grand total of cost and time is more than you want to take on. It would be a shame to fit new ties, new wheel bearings and new brakes only to find the floor and roof are beyond repair. This forum will be your best guide.

I hope you have a gem instead of a problem!

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

The first and most important is tires and barrings, and check brakes if any. Next recaulk the roof and other areas if it looks like it hasn't been done. Verify electrical and propane are hooked up correctly and doesn't look in rough shape before testing the equipment. Go in all cabinets and feel the roof for any soft spots as it could mean rot. You will probably want/need to grease the lift system, stabilizers, and jack.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

sleach has a good point. I was assuming that you'd inspected it deeply enough to know there aren't visible major issues.
    We renovated our first pup, which was a 1984 Palomino, and even knowing there ere some major problems, it cost us more than we'd expected to get it back into shape. (We didn't regret that, since it pointed in the right direction for the next pup, when we decided to up-size. However, we did spend a good portion of what it cost us a couple of years later to buy a new-old-stock camper.)

11. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from Kentucky and congrats on the camper and as for my [2C] give it a good going over and also do the camp driveway to.

12. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Welcome. Your new pup is in my not so humble opinion one of the best units out there.

Others have given you the run down. There isn't really anything to add.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.

13. 4my2girls

4my2girls New Member

Congratulations!! [HY] when we got ours we opened it and cleaned it fully.. they added mattress padding, pads and sheets to beds. Check the battery or replace. We bought a new one and most places offer a 2-3 year warranty on it so save receipt. Open and washonest outside then waterproof it protect it and stocth guard and redo each year. Check the tirestatus and the spair.. replace if needed. Get a propane tank or check the expire date and make sure you can have for a few years. Any holes in canvas can be fixed with a patch off amazon..when putting ur beds in and out never force if they don't movie it's cause something is the their way. Also never over extend the roof it can come off the tracks and it's super expensive to get back on. Then have fun look on Pinterest for easy and fun ideas on upgrades. Like a redo of the floor with vinyl sticky flooring. I stand upgrade. [CP] have fun!!

14. kreeves

kreeves She and her two dogs

Welcome.. So exciting to have a piece of his childhood. If you like it, it is worth fixing. Start top to bottom or bottom to top, but go over everything. Canvas and floor, tires and bearings. Electrical. All need to be in working order. Then the fun begins making it your own... There is a lot of good information on here. Happy camping...