Hand pumping antifreeze into my PUP

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by adkdave, Oct 3, 2021.

1. adkdave

adkdave Active Member

I am going to try and winterize my PUP this year. I understand all the procedures as far as draining, blowing out the lines and by passing the water heater. My water pump is in a tight spot and trying to get a connection from the antifreeze to the pump is tough (plus I am notorious for breaking things). My question is if I use a hand pump and hook it to my municipal water connection and fill the water lines will the antifreeze get to my water pump and keep it safe from freezing? I get the sense from YouTube videos that it will work, but I haven't seen anything that answers the question specifically.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

There's a check valve in or at the pump that prevents water from flowing past the pump and into the fresh water tank. So the whole water line coming from the pump would not see any antifreeze.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Pour it in the fresh water tank and use the pump to move it. You will need to flush it out more, but its not that hard to do it that way.

theseus likes this.
  4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Have you looked at removing the water line from the water tank and sticking it into the antifreeze jug? I did that on our Palomino popup.. if not, pour the antifreeze into the water tank and go that way, at least to do the water pump. You can hand pump the rest of the trailer..

5. adkdave

adkdave Active Member

Thanks for your responses. They both help and give me something to work with.

6. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

If you pour it in the water tank, make sure you use non-alcohol based antifreeze. The alcohol stuff will flavor your tank and lines. It is a pain to rinse it out completely.

I learned this the hard way.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. adkdave

adkdave Active Member

While researching this I was made aware not to use auto antifreeze nothing about non-alcohol.

8. theseus

The alcohol based RV antifreeze is fine and works. However it is not tasteless or odorless. Propylene glycol RV antifreeze is non toxic, tasteless and odorless, so much easier to dewinterize from.

Ethylene glycol is car antifreeze and toxic, but you knew that.

9. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have propylene glycol RV antifreeze on hand. I wouldn't call it tasteless or odorless. It tastes bittersweet....Yes, I have tried it. I can certainly smell it when using it. I wouldn't call it an objectionable odor, though.

Snow likes this.
  10. adkdave

adkdave Active Member

Thanks for the info. I just checked an invoice from my dealer winterization last year. I was charged $4.95 per gallon for Winter Safe antifreeze. That price sounds like alcohol based antifreeze. I have to admit I really didn't notice any lingering flavor in the water. Then again we just use that water mostly for dishes and brushing our teeth. Just curious, how did you get the flavor out of your system did you use any additives rinsing your system?

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I bought propylene glycol RV antifreeze last season for under $3 a gallon. This spring I caught it on clearance for $1.50. I bought enough for a few seasons.

12. theseus

I agree its not completely odorless or even tasteless. But it is so much easier to rinse out of the system. There is some argument to be made for it as it doesn't dry out seals either. The alcohol stuff apparently does.

xxxapache likes this.
  13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Easiest way to get rid of any smell or taste from the antifreeze is to actually sanitize the entire water system (like you are supposed to) in the spring when you dewinterize, the only extra step you have to really do is un bypass the water heater, so it gets sanitized too..

xxxapache likes this.
  14. theseus

Even doing that, I have had trouble in the past getting the residual taste out of the lines.

15. adkdave

adkdave Active Member

Took a trip to my RV dealer and bought the non-alcohol stuff. Thanks for all the help. I am always learning something new when it comes to RVing.

Sjm9911 likes this.