Handicap? Not a problem

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by swordfish, Feb 15, 2021.

1. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

I built this system to help my wife enter the camper from a wheelchair without using steps. The Lazy Susan is guided inside a frame of a plywood platform, which is raised to the height of the camper entrance (~22"). The Indeelift is sitting on a smaller wooden platform that is bolted to the Lazy Susan. Once she is sitting on the lift from her wheelchair, she can raise the electric lift to the waist height with the push of a button. I will then spin her 90 degrees to face the entrance of the camper door. She will be able to stand up and grab onto the handlebars at the door and everywhere inside.

Lift susan.png lift ready.png lift ready 2.png lift up.png lift to enter2.png

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    tml01, 1380ken, Susan Premo and 4 others like this.
  2. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

A) Genius
    B) Hope she doesn't think the model you used is a representation of her.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Great job old buddy. Hope it works out for Fran. Give her our best. Ray and Jin

firepit and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

That is Awesome...Great work figuring out how to help her so she can keep enjoying the outdoors
    and the camper

Susan Premo likes this.
  5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Eric, don't be silly. He's modeling it for her! :)

The lazy susan is brilliant. I hope that's not her name, though!

Susan Premo likes this.
  6. Kyle R Thorson

Kyle R Thorson Active Member

That is pretty amazing.

I took my daughter out in Feburary, I am her lazy Susan lol. (I imagine we will one day need to change that term considering today's climate) I digress. Here are a couple of pictures from our trip. My daughter is 16 almost 17 but severely delayed in most areas and weighs about 75 pounds right now. She is in a wheelchair but when we go camping I ditch the wheelchair use an oversized car seat that she still fits in due to her small stature and cool chair we bring with us. I also have a handicap bike trailer/stroller we can take. Anyway I enjoy our time together. Here are a couple pics.

Attached Files:

7. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Let me try again. 1) the platform is supported and leveled by an RV stabilizer jack, 2) IndeeLift on a lazy Susan, 3) Sitting on the IndeeLift (21" chair high), 4) battery-powered elevation by the remote, 5) A 90-degree turn (that is what the lazy Susan is for), walking off the lift. She can still take a few steps when she is holding onto something. If she becomes more disabled, I have a plan B.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. PaulaBrensinger

PaulaBrensinger Active Member Silver Supporting Member

That's really well put together, and the fit and finish look like a professional product. it appears stable enough that the user can be relaxed feeling safe throughout the process. Well done!

9. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

Neat.
    I'm mulling over how to mount a walker on the three wheel electric motorcycle the wife will soon have. Be easier if she was more comfortable using a pair of collapsible canes that could fit in the side saddle(s) or in a scabbard mounted to it.

10. PaulaBrensinger

PaulaBrensinger Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Groomporter likes this.