Handy Capped Statis

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Rodger D., Jan 23, 2012.

1. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hello There

I spent most of last night thinking about this.

Here in Colo they will give an "Handy Capped Person" The Plates or An Placard to hang from the mirror. Then they park in such places in every state with out any problems.

Do State Parks of other states also honor this ? What have any of you experienced ? I am asking this way vs asking the offical various states answer ( sort of "real world " ).

Rodger & Gabby
    COS

2. Leyster

Leyster Revelstoke, B.C.

Not sure about States but here in Canada all parks respect the plates and or placards and from province to province and also from the States.

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Some state and federal parks include a camping site that is called "Handicap Accessible." Such a site is usually level, a bit bigger (for wheelchairs) and often paved even if the other sites are not. Such sites are also marked with the standard blue and white symbol of a person in a wheelchair (blue background with a white line drawing). This is the same symbol found on parking places in public parking lots (including many state and federal parks), bathroom stalls, etc. To the best of my knowledge, this symbol is standard throughout the USA and if a car has a handicap placard bearing this symbol it is honored in all states regardless of the car's state of origin.

4. papachaz

papachaz New Member

i am currently waiting for the results of having applied for disability due to back problems and permanent nerve damage that it has caused in my legs. I was under the impression that i can't get handicap tags or mirror tags until that is approved, and that approval is the social security administration.

i would think that any state would honor my GA plates/tags when i get them, after all, those aren't given until the Federal government says i'm disabled....

5. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Rodger, it is my understanding that ALL states honor the disabled plate/placard of all other states, just as they recognise the validity of a normal tag.
    Papachaz, almost all states have a means of issuing a disabled plate/placard without waiting on the federal government, Georgia included. In Oklahoma, I occasionally have to complete the required form for my patients. In Georgia, you can obtain "MV-9D" by download from their web site. Your attending physician must complete the part of medical necessity just as I do here in Oklahoma. I know many people who have obtained a disabled permit without waiting on the feds.
    Hope this helps.
    Steve

6. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

Steve, I was going to tell Papachaz the exact same thing. I had a hang tag for a year when I was struggling with Lyme disease and needed a wheelchair half of the time. I did not receive disability at all, it was strictly the form that you spoke of. I am so glad that I don't need it anymore.

7. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Our handicapped placard has been honored in every state that we have used it in. Florida, Nebraska, Utah, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota and Wyoming. I am pretty sure that all states honor the tags/placards.
    MR

8. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

I am Canadian and a all states that I have camped in so far have honoured my handicapped sticker issued by the province of Ontario. However they will not give me the handicapped discount because in order to get that you need an Ameripass and you can only get that if you have are an American citizen. Here in Ontario I get to camp in provincial parks for 1/2 price due to disability.

9. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Likewise, senior passes (formerly commonly called the "Golden Age" pass) are only issued to American nationals.

10. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hola All

I lead into my question by the Plates and Placard info part and asked if State Parks also had the same "honor this system with State Parks".

To me, it seems as Leyster and Alex answered my question best ( Do State Parks Honor the other State Parks with Disabilty Patrons ).

It must be the money connection of why they do not honor the other state since The Handy Capped Patron had to pay for the State Park Placard.

This has nothing to do with Handy Capped Parking at some Shopping Center .

Rodger & Gabby
    COS

11. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Rodger, from what do you draw the conclusion that handicapped placards aren't honored in other states?

It's been my experience that a lawful placard from any jurisdiction allows the holder to make use of handicapped sites.

12. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hello

This is about Camper's who are legally able to be called "Handy Capped" and having this status in their State Park who may drive to another State.

I just called The Georgia State Park Office and was told "If the person is an Georgia Resident - it depends on the level of State Park Member Ship. No, the State of Georgia does not honor others of another state." To me this is an marketing answer.

Then I called The State of Tennessee Main Office. The person who answered had no clue and transferred me to another. They said, " Tenn has no Entry Fee, but offer's 10% less For Camping ( WoW 10% from $25 ) ".

In my original question I asked about the Offical Written Answer and what really happens when one from another drives up ( aka the practice ). I now am lead to think it is a State by State "ruling" about Handy Capped Patrons who may be using The State Parks.

I hope one of you has a better answer on this subject.

Rodger & Gabby
    COS

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

At first I thought I knew what you were asking but now I'm not sure. I think we have pretty well established that if you have a handicap placard or sticker from any US state or Canadian province it will be honored in all states and provinces. "Honored" means that you can legally park in handicap parking spots (which many parks have in their day use section or near attractions, e.g., the parking lots in Yellowstone at Old Faithful) and use handicapped access campsites if they are available in that park.

So, it seems that perhaps you are talking about getting a discount on the fee to get into a park or on the fee to camp there? Is that what you mean by "honored"? If so, you are misunderstanding the meaning of "honoring" the placard or sticker. The handicapped access laws were set up to provide physical access and mobility to handicapped people, not give them discounts. If some states or provinces choose to offer handicapped people discounts on certain things that does not mean other states or provinces have any obligation to provide that same discount to that person while s/he is in their state or province.

14. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I see why we've been somewhat confused.

I think in any jurisdiction, a handicapped placard or plate will allow you to use a marked handicap-accessibe site. There's no issue there.

On the other hand, getting a reduction on access or camping fees would be up to the individual jurisdictions, and you shouldn't assume that anyp privileges you are granted in your own state would apply elsewhere.

After all, some states might grant their disabled residents a discount, but not offer that to those from other states and countries since they haven't paid state taxes. But then again, their own residents likely don't get discounts in other states either.

Unfortunately, you won't find any "Official Written Answer" as the regs will vary by jurisdiction.

15. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Ah.....I see! Thanks Travelhoveler......I was incredibly confused by the question.......And I agree with that response 100%.

16. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

Papachaz check with your dmv all i needed was a form filled out by my doctor stating that i am permently disabled i did not have to wait on the placard. I think the discount here in florida state parks for disabled is only for florida residents

17. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

I forgot to mention that the last trip we made to a GA state park as I was paying the person checking us in noticed my VA id card and asked if one of us was a disabled vet i said yes I was he looked at my card and applied the discount so it never hurts to ask about a discount is you are a disabled vet

18. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hello Again

Even though my question was not said in an manner for all to under-stand, it seems the real answer is how the State Park Attendant at the Check In Point feels and knows what is going on since the written clause is a State by State thing.

As some say, "... it is easier to ask for forgive-ness than permission".

Rodger & Gabby
    COS

19. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Yes, that is correct. Each state is sovereign in this regard and promulgates its own regulations. You might well be entitled to a discount in your own state, but another state may not grant you one because you aren't paying taxes to support its park system. On the other hand, your state likely doesn't grant those discounts to non-residents, either.

However, once you are in the campground, a valid handicapped placard or plate will allow you to use any space marked for such use with the standard ADA symbol, regardless of jurisdiction.

20. Tombstonebilly

Tombstonebilly New Member

:) Have too agree with all states honer other states disability tags [:D]. but in some parks their disability sites are very close too restrooms and other things I find them very noisy [:(] with a lot of traffic. [{:)]