Handy Capped Statis

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Rodger D., Jan 23, 2012.

1. vik-king

vik-king New Member

Rodger, I am a retired NYC Police Detective, Having worked for 20 years in the big city I and every other NYC police officer always honered any legit issued handicapped parking permit weather on the plate or on the mirror we figured that if a local or county govt issued it there was a reason and they all have minimum standards that must be met. As a police officer I personally felt that if a person is disabled (especially a Vet) they deserve that perk in the very least. To answer your question regarding in the parks across the country I believe that allmost all officers weather parks police or local constables should feel the same way as I do. I have a Friend that works in the us parks service and I am sending off an email/ phone call to him after this reply and going to try and get you the actual answer regarding handicapped/disabled permits and or is there a discount in us parks as soon as i have a definitive answer i will be happy to re post to share the results keep in mind it may take a few days for him (JEFF) to get back to me so i will pull up the thread and let you know what i found out. Until then take care of that back and hope you get some great quality of life camping in this year. ALSO IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK EACH OFFICIAL IN CHARGE AT THAT CAMP SITE IF THEY HAVE A SPECIAL RATE FOR VETS/OR DIABLED IN GENERAL MANY MAY BE ABLE TO OFFER YOU ONE REGARDFLESS OF THERE POLICY'S, You would be pleasantly surprised as to how many are retired service members that would love to help you out! - Jonathan

2. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

vik-king, there are several different issues here.

Almost everyone agrees that a placard for the disabled will allow a challenged camper to use any site set aside or marked for the disabled. That's a standard procedure almost everywhere.

The National Park Service does offer a free "America the Beautiful Access Pass" for any citizen with a permanent disability. It's also valid for TVA, BLM, USFS, USFWS and BOR areas, and is sometimes recognized by USACOE though they are not a part of the program.

The main contention is whether a disabled person with a placard can qualify for discounts at state parks. While a disabled camper might be able to get a discount in her or his home state, it can't be assumed that other states will offer the same. After all, the camper only paid state taxes in her or his own state, so unless there is a reciprocity agreement or specific state park policy, there may not be any discount when camping out of state. Of course, as you stated, it doesn't hurt to ask.

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I would think that the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) would have you covered wherever you may camp, State or Federal. The problem is that the ADA uses a broad stroke in what it considers a "disability". The ADA defines a disability as a "physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity". For instances, I use a CPAP, guess what, it's covered under the ADA, sleeping is a major life activity. Would I use an ADA Accessible campsite, no, but technically I could. Here in PA, the State Parks do have a document somewhere on their website that lists what they consider a "disability", but the ADA trumps that as it would in all States (Federal law trumps State law).

4. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

Here in florida it is supposed to be documented by social security disability or veterans administration to qualify for the half off I have in all the years of camping in florida state parks only been asked by one ranger most see I have the handicapped hanger and let me go I do always have the correct documentation just in case now when we camped at juniper springs in the national forest I was checked not once but three times on a two day visit I guess they wanted to make sure a miracle happened over night that healed me

5. singledad

singledad New Member

I too have low back problems and cmt. I am waiting to get my favorable decision for my disability, then I can get the p/u N pup. I have gone through the whole process and been denied 3 different times. I just reapplied back in April.

6. papachaz

papachaz New Member

ok i failed to come back to this thread and respond. thanks to shaman for clearing that up. i did go to my doctor and get the form filled out, and have a disabled persons plate on my vehicle, and got a mirror hanger for the wifes vehicle.

toward the end of march, i did get awarded total disability status. multiple back surgeries, past and needed presently, mulitple bad disks some at the top some at the bottom of my spine, permanent nerve damage in my left leg and foot. I was truly blessed to get approved the first time i applied, and a relatively short time frame. for those who have to fight for it, i find it appalling. i mean seriously, some of the things i've seen people go through and still have to fight for it.

y'all notice my post count go up quickly the last several months, because i am not able to get out to do much at all, and spend most of my days between here and a couple of other forums i like, with some occasional television during the day also.

7. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

Same here with me Papachaz, my post count has gone up too...

I have been unable to walk, and barely able to get around for 4.5 months now due to a shattered ankle and compound leg break.

I was issued a mirror hanger from my doctor and the DMV. mine is RED, which is listed as TEMPORARY with a date punched on it.

I can not swim, climb, hike, or do many other acitivities... I can barely stand for 5 minutes before I get a cramped foot....

I asked the State Park if they offered a Handicap site or discount for that matter, and they said no, but that they will usually hold an open field type site, or wide pull thru for visitors with disabilities, as they tend to work the best.

they also said it was up to each state park to determine their needs for catering to handicap persons.

I do not consider myself handicapped, but do consider my injuries to be life impairing. and I will still give up a HC spot for someone who needs it more than I do.

8. dksimon

dksimon UNITED WE STAND

One of the problems that I had in getting my plate was the back up of forms that people put in and they are not disabled! This was brought up on the news one night,the person at the office has to approve the tag paperwork because it was signed by a DR. the name signedwas DR. I.M. Kidding!!

This is one reason why I cant find a disabled parking spot to use,they are filled with freeloaders that just want to use the space so they dont have to walk far to get to the store! A couple months ago it was raining and I am waiting for a person backing out of a disabled parking space, I always leave room for traffic to go around me while I wait for the space, guess what a person comes from behind and cuts me off from the parking spot, throws his placard onthe mirror and runs into the store!! I questioned the person inside and I was told it belonged to his Dad and he will use it anytime he wants. Then to top it off the violater is a policeman! They are the ones that are suppose to write tickets for parking in disabled spots, go figure that one out!!

9. papachaz

papachaz New Member

you should have called him in! i sure would have!! when i got my plate, i also got a mirror hanger for DW's vehicle. she don't use it if i'm not along. and he is not supposed to use his dad's if his dad isn't along with him, if i knew that for sure, i'd call him in in a heartbeat, which would be better than my first impulse of beating the crap out of him with my cane.

@01YZF6 - i didn't have to wait for mine, i handed the lady at the tag office the form and my old plate, and she had it changed out and the mirror hanger for DW's car ready in just a few minutes.

10. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I'm surprised they let you have both the plate and placard, usually it's one or the other. The placard is generally for use by persons with more then one vehicle, so it can be moved from one to the other.

Earlier it was mentioned that the Federal Government has to say one is Disabled in order to qualify for the Handicapped status/plate.placard/etc. I would just like to point out that one does not have to be disabled or receiving disabilities in order to have a handicap. My wife has both a Permanent Handicap placard and the All Access Pass. She has these because she has a permanent walking disability which diminishes her quality of life to some degree. However like many other people with handicapped placards she also works a full time job, because having a disability doesn't necessarily mean one is disabled.

Also, and this is for the OP, just because one has a Handicapped plate or placard does not mean one should be entitled to discounts and handout every place they go. It's alright to accept such perks when the're offered but they should not be expected. Sorry if that sounds kind of blunt.

Also I don't give damn if the guy's a policeman or even the judge, anyone who misuses someone else handicapped parking privilege should have their drivers license taken away for six months, now that should be a federal law. And just so they can realize first hand how wrong it, is the person who's card they used when violating the law should have to appear before the state and explain why they allowed someone else to fraudulently use their plate/placard. Perhaps they should even face possible suspension of their privileges. If people see the hardship it could cause their own family then maybe they wouldn't abuse another persons privilege.

My wife most times will not even use the handicapped space because she feel someone else worse off the herself might need it, and I'm sure she's not the only one who feels this way.

11. papachaz

papachaz New Member

yeah i realized after reading shaman's post that i didn't have to wait to get my disability status from social security to get the plates.

as for getting both, it was time to renew my tag, and while the placard i got for DW is the blue one, there was no sense having to worry about 'well crap i forgot to get the placard out of my truck' if we went in hers. the MV9 form (at least here) has the place specifically to check to get the placard for a second vehicle.

as for your last sentence, there are a lot of abuses of the system, but then, the other side is there are a lot of deserving people who for some reason or other don't have them. i'm a good example of that, i went for a year without having it when i could have gotten it if it had been explained correctly to me. so i had to park in the non handicapped spots. so one day, i round the end of the row to see a little old lady pulling into the last available NON handicap spot, closest to the building, and all the handicap spots OPEN. she had the handicap tag and got out of her car with a walker. sometimes trying to be noble hurts some poor dummy like me...at that time i couldn't park in the handicap spot

12. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hello Again

I made the original posting six months ago asking about different
    states honoring the person from another state ( who has just pulled
    up to the gate ( or what-ever ) and has their Pop Up in Tow ).

With the Pop Up was never said since this is an site all about using
    ones PoP Up.

Since the January Posting Time has any one that has an State
    Issued Dis-abled Park Card that hangs from the mirror gone to another
    state and inguired if they also get the same status in the state they are
    visiting at ???

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I thought we had this settled, Rodger. In the U.S., if you qualify for a disabled plate/placard like the previous posters are talking about, you are entitled to use disabled parking spaces or campsites (the ones marked with a blue and white symbol). If a particular state chooses to offer some additional services or discounts at various places that is nice but other states have no obligation of any kind to honor that discount. Put another way, if Washington were to offer disabled people (with the blue placard) 10% off the camping fee in their state parks, Oregon state parks have no obligation to give them 10% off in their state parks. I think you may be confusing state laws and federal laws.

14. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Exactly. You're asking about two different things.

1) Every state will recognize an official plate for the disabled, or a placard or hangtag. If a space is set aside for the use by the disabled, you can use with such a plate or a device.

2) States, however, may or may not offer discounts. Sometimes they offer them only to in-state residents with official tags or placards. They may well rationalize that out-of-state residents aren't paying state taxes, and therefore don't qualify for such a discount.

If you have the proper federal pass, it applies at most federal campgrounds, but don't expect states to recognize it.

Yes, you can always qualify to use a disabled space, but don't count on necessarily getting a discount.

15. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

That's also an excellent point. I have a federal Senior Access Pass. (Being a senior isn't the same as being disabled but some mornings I feel like it is.) Most state, county and city campgrounds do not honor this pass because it wasn't issued by them and does not pertain to their facilities. They have no obligation to honor it and I have no expectation of getting free entry or 50% off the camping fee in such places.

16. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

So we all understand, please be specific, exactly what do you mean "same status"? The only thing the plate or placard offers you is the right to park in a space reserved for someone who is handicapped, and nothing more. What status is it that you're looking for?

17. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

nhcaveman

Those that have an Blue Colored Placard or an License Plate of the
    same staus are not or never have been the question from me.

Those who have the same type of card issued by an State Parks Division
    and wanting to use The Handy-Capped Camping Site # ~ ( or what
    ever ) is another never asked question by me.

All I was asking if an person who has an State Placard pulls up to The
    Attendent - how do others in this catergory get treated ... ie do they
    some times get the different rates and some times do not or is it an
    never get an different rate when out of their home state.

This is all an at the gate thing - at State Parks ... nuthin more.

I wanted to show my neighbor across the street how easy it is to get an
    straight answer on this so that he could move his Jayco out from his
    drive-way and go some place.

18. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Each state promulgates its own regulations. They will vary from state to state. Some states may give you a discount, some may give you a partial discount, others may only give discounts to residents of that state (because only they pay taxes to support the parks), and some may not offer discounts at all.

There is no standard policy. You can always ask, but be cognizant that you may not get the answer you wish to hear.

19. Troutfishing

Troutfishing Member

Nebraska State Parks:
    Are Senior Permits Available?
    No, there is no provision in the law to
    issue free or discounted permits to older
    park visitors or people with disabilities.

Some ADA easy reading:
    http://www.access-board.gov/recreation/final.htm