Handy Heater (As Seen on TV) - Anyone Tried It?

rdmullins

Jun 17, 2016
I saw the Handy Heater (https://www.handyheater.com) advertised (late) last night on TV and am thinking about getting one for our pup. We have a propane furnace but honestly we don't typically bother with it because it burns so doggone much gas and it's just easier to pile on blankets. But it seems like this would have the potential to take the chill off and maybe extend our regular season a little bit. Just wondering if anyone has tried it yet. I've already put our pup under wraps for winter but if we end up getting one I'll report back as to how it works.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I'm thinking you'd be better off with a regular space heater to supplement your furnace if you camp with power, that one looks clunky with being in an outlet, and probably comes under the too good to be true heading. We have camped into the teens in both pups, though the first had no furnace. We used an electric space heater and mattress pad on the coldest trips in that, making sure to be in power sites.
With our second pup, we sometimes supplemented with the space heater, but since we don't always have power that's not a sure thing. With heat retention measures in place, such as PUGS, fleece pinned up around the bunk (in lieu of Reflectix)' and rugs on the floor, the LP consumption was certainly not bad. Changing out the thermostat to a digital one and moving it also reduced the massive temperature swings, which made it more comfortable, if not saving LP. We also don't expect to sit inside in shirtsleeves, we keep the temp in the upper 50s at night, low 60s in the evening.

Customer

Super Active Member
Jun 5, 2014
rdmullins said:
I saw the Handy Heater (https://www.handyheater.com) advertised (late) last night on TV and am thinking about getting one for our pup....

Why????? It is only 350 watts which might give you around 1,100 BTU. A simple $20 heater from most anywhere will be 1,500 watts and give you around 5,100 BTU.

Waste of money unless you really don't want any heat.

Customer

Super Active Member
Jun 5, 2014
Customer said:
Why????? It is only 350 watts which might give you around 1,100 BTU. A simple $20 heater from most anywhere will be 1,500 watts and give you around 5,100 BTU.

Waste of money unless you really don't want any heat.

Wanted to add;
At Walmart.com you can purchase a Pelonis electric heater that is rated at 1,500 watts for only $9.95. Over four times the heat output and only one third the purchase price of the "Handy Heater".

rdmullins

Jun 17, 2016
Well then. You all are making the handy heater sound not very handy at all. [LOL] I guess the small form factor appealed to me, and having one less thing to have to 'stow' other than dropping it in a drawer. But I've got quite a bit of unused space under one of our seats so it would be better in the long run to have a 'real' heater we could use. Appreciate the input!

Orchid

Sharp Shootin' Grandma
May 8, 2011
Florida by way of WV and MD
There is a thread about it around here somewhere, but, after a lot of discussion and thought, I ended up buying this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005M03ER4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pros:

* By itself, it keeps my entire PUP toasty warm on a night in the 40's.
* Inexpensive
* Oscillates to keep both ends heated evenly.
* Doesn't throw the breaker

Cons:

* Doesn't have tip over protection, so you have to put it somewhere it won't get bumped around.
* It's tall
* Doesn't have number thermostat to just set to whatever temp you want. However, once it gets to a comfortable temperature, you just turn the knob down until it goes off and it will keep your air at the current temperature. Not quite as easy as setting it to a number and walking away, but significantly cheaper than heaters with that option.

Here is the one I had at first and it is JUNK - Do NOT buy this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Comfort-Zone-Ceramic-Heater/21899614

I used this one during the summer, here in Florida, and did okay then. But we are talking FL and summer nights. When it actually got cold, this one was no help at all. Like a dummy, I went out and bought another one, thinking one on each end would do the trick.

Maybe it would have worked, but it kept blowing the breaker in the PUP when I plugged in both of them. So now I own two of these things. I doubt I will ever use them again, but keep them in the back of a cabinet in the PUP, since I actually have a lot of extra storage space. They are back-up, although they will only heat one end of the PUP. I always have extra extension cords, so I could run one directly to the power hook-ups if need be.

yetavon

everything is better around a campfire.
Mar 11, 2010
Western NC

KJ Knowles

Feb 23, 2015
North Central Texas
Customer said:
Wanted to add;
At Walmart.com you can purchase a Pelonis electric heater that is rated at 1,500 watts for only $9.95. Over four times the heat output and only one third the purchase price of the "Handy Heater".

I'll second the recommendation on the Walmart Pelonis heater. I've been using them for years tent camping. They are quiet, put out a surprising amount of heat, have a workable (if a bit finicky) thermostatic control and multiple fan speeds. Also very light...I have even packed one on occassion when motorcycle camping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fan-Heater-Black/53017085

Customer

Super Active Member
Jun 5, 2014
Anyone shopping for an electric heater needs to realize they are virtually 100% efficient. A 1,500 watt heater will put out approximately 5,100 BTU. This is true whether the heater costs $10 or $500.

johnnyboy

Feb 28, 2016
Customer said:
Anyone shopping for an electric heater needs to realize they are virtually 100% efficient. A 1,500 watt heater will put out approximately 5,100 BTU. This is true whether the heater costs $10 or $500.

Great advice. I got two of the Walmart Pelonis heaters for $10 each. One goes on the floor and one is on the counter. Seems to distribute the heat better and both run at the second of three heat levels, keeping the temp at 68 down to freezing outside temp.

Orchid

Sharp Shootin' Grandma
May 8, 2011
Florida by way of WV and MD
Customer said:

Perhaps, but if it doesn't oscillate, you're going to need two of them in a PUP. It's a pretty long space, with the worst heat loss on the ends. A single, stationary one, even pointing toward the center of the camper just won't do the trick.