Hanging Clothing Storage

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Pop Upp, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Pop Upp

Pop Upp New Member

I found this idea somewhere but I am not sure how to fasten this safely to the roof of the PUP ?
    My hubbie does not want to make holes in the roof. I see somewhere else tie downs might work. Any other ideas how to fasten this to the roof permanently so that it will collapse by itself everytime we put down the PUP ?

Attached Files:

2. JMSubRN

JMSubRN New Member

I would like to see some suggestions for this too. We have the same concerns with putting holes in the ceiling.
    I don't necessarily want mine to be permanent but would be ok if that's really the only way.

3. popupprincess

popupprincess Member

We have one of those flip down handle things that you use to get in and out of the beds...I attached mine to that...otherwise I don't know.

4. bondebond

bondebond New Member

You could use a fair amount of Industrial Strength Velcro (actual product). It will undoubtedly stick to the ceiling without making a hole. Sticking to the fabric of the holder would be another thing, though. I would be tempted to sew or add some other reinforcement (brass clothing rivets). That way, it is even removable as needed.

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I would use super glue or liquid nails

6. The Hillbilly Hilton

The Hillbilly Hilton New Member

Are you sure you are not using the flip down clothes hanger? I have not seen a flip down handle to get in and out of the bed. I may be wrong.

We have two of them. One was original and the other we added. They are only a few dollars and added a lot more haning space. We screwed them to the ceiling. But I have a one piece fiberglass and I used short screws so I am not worred about leaks.

7. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

I used these items for mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, I only used a couple strips of the automotive attachment tape, and the way the bottom of this clothes rod was shaped, it didn't sit very well and pulled on one side more than the other and those two strips didn't hold - and it fell down after one trip. So I will try more of this tape and give it another go... if that still doesn't work I will try a different method of attaching the clothing rod to the ceiling

8. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

For our old popup I bought a garment rack and cut it to fit on one of the benches (removed the cushion). It held three of the sweater hangers. I'm not a fan of attaching things to the ceiling.

9. Scotia 55

Scotia 55 Member

The one pictured above looks great! A hanging wardrobe is an option on the Rockwood Highwalls. I wish the original owners of the NTU PU had purchased one. They hang on hooks that are imbedded into the ceiling. I have the hooks but not the wardrobe. I do have the hanginging pantry which is very handy!

10. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

you can attach the hanging rack by placing either a small section of plywood or metal in a diagonal from back of roof to the side of roof...... there is support along the outside edge of the PUP roof.......attach your mount plate along the edges.....If your going to keep this mod...maybe think about using some heavy duty glue along with the screws?

[​IMG]

Hope the diagram kinda helps you see what im talking about..........I did this mod with my PUP.....small eye hooks screwed into the support brace and some quick disconnects for rope climbing so I can remove if I need to.... normally just empty it out when time to take down pup and let it collapse onto the bunks

11. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

If you are lucky in floorplan placement, you can thread HD zipties through the top of the AC roof braces to make the loop to attach the shelves to.

Attached Files:

12. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I'm going to have to check my roof braces now to see if placement is agreeable. Thanks for another idea Ryan.

In our first PUP, which was a Jayco, it had rails that the door slid upon for storage when popped down. The door was permanently attached to these rails. When the door was installed, the opposite end of the rails was unused and stood over a counter, so I made little brackets to fit inside the C channel rails with hooks to hold a pantry from Cabelas.

[​IMG]

These were the little hangers I made.
    [​IMG]

13. JMSubRN

JMSubRN New Member

[:O] We have a Jayco! I never thought about sing that sliding rail. I think ours is more over a bench than the counter tho. I'll have to check that out when we pull her out of storage. And that can't come soon enough!!

14. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Tarp clips work well on the rails.

https://goo.gl/photos/GwwYqLzJunbV2Bt16

15. Singinmom

Singinmom New Member

I realize that the original thread is a bit old, but others might be still looking for solutions. I too felt uneasy about putting new holes in the roof. We just got our camper and I also didn't want to commit to all storage until we get more time it. Although, I did spend a lot of time decoupaging 2 large sterilite drawer units. Guess I'm committed to those. I found one of those popular collapsible clothes hangers and looked around for creative ways to hang it. We have no extras in there, but I noticed that there was space between the plastic curtain rails to squeeze something through. I bought some inexpensive and light (I love bamboo!) bamboo and it just rests against the curtain rails. On our first trip, we filled it will towels, a blanket, and some water shoes. The weight didn't seem to be an issue at all. Unfortunately, the other end of the bamboo is over the dinette seat, so I don't think I want to hang anything on the other side. I'll keep thinking. Here is a rather dark pic of what I'm talking about.
    [​IMG]

16. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I just used the same hanging pantry that bondebond used. I hung mine differently. I used 3/4" conduit clamps with 2 mounting screws for each. The clamps were screwed into the A/C supports. I then used 2- 3/4" wood dowels to hang pantry. Works well,but only bought 36"dowels,and decided to look for 48 dowels to be able to hang things from. I'll put something thru the dowels to keep dowels from "walking" out of conduit clamps.

17. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

Would a spring loaded tension rod (shower rod) be long enough to span like Singinmom's bamboo rod? Do you think it may put too much lateral force on the side walls ?

I will DIY and mount a couple of these on the side walls (paint white or will be hidden by valance?) and try bamboo - that's a great idea singingmom.

Attached Files:

18. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Could you use something like this?
    https://www.amazon.com/Closet-Rod-Holders-1324WH-sets/dp/B0038ZQ0G2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1468616837&sr=8-10&keywords=rod+cups

19. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

Yes, only if I find a few in the basement [there's a small possibility I will]. Trying to use what we already have on hand as much as possible ... this means getting creative :) and using some of the stockpile of supplies from various projects. [2C] [2C] [2C] [2C] [2C] ... as I peruse the 'Free Stuff' category on Kijiji non-stop.

20. bgbluram

bgbluram New Member

Another thing that you could do would be to build a simple stand using PVC pipe, 3/4" with slip joints so that it could be taken apart when not in use. This way you wouldn't need to figure out a way to hang it, or drill any holes in your camper. It could simply stand on which ever counter top you chose, or even on the ground if you have a small space.

Something like this:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/41/3d/e5/413de5c297b81367b94618bfa054b49c.jpg

Could be customized to any size or height.