Hanging Storage

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by ktharmon1, Apr 28, 2015.

1. ktharmon1

ktharmon1 New Member

Evening All, what is everyone's opinion about hanging organizers from the ceiling? Is it safe? I see many shoe or other organizers on other sites and wonder if it is a good idea. Does it lead to leaks?

2. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I've been thinking of that as well, but the one that hang on a closet rod. I would want the rod to be collapsible and come off the floor. Still thinking...

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I only used the shoe organizer and hung it up on the factory attached shirt hanger in the trailer. I never loaded it up and put the heaver items on the bottom as it partially rested on the counter. It was nice as I was able to get some of the nicknacks off the counter. I was going to make one that hung on my bunk ends so I could put my keys, glasses, etc in it but never had the chance. I didn't have the guts to screw anything in the roof.

4. JustinD

JustinD New Member

I like this idea...only camped in my pup once, but all the counter space was cluttered with stuff (sunscreen, bug spray, first aid stuff, cleaning stuff etc.)

5. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

I also did not want to screw into the roof, doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I bought a hanging closet organizer like you see a lot on here. I bought these two items on amazon:
    [​IMG]
    And this is how it turned out:
    [​IMG]

However, it fell down overnight two nights into our first trip with it....
    But the way that collapsible rod was shaped on the underside I only used one strip of the 3M tape, thinking hopefully it would be enough. It wasn't. And if you notice in the finished pic the rod is pulling one side of the plate off the roof to begin with, so I initially wondered if it would hold up. On my trip this weekend I will be rigging it back up with more of the 3M automotive tape to see if more taped spots attaching the plate/rod to the roof better will do the trick. I think it will, as that 3M automotive tape is some hefty stuff!
    For the two days it was hanging it was incredibly helpful for keeping the clutter off the surfaces!

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Hanging organizers are fine if mounted properly. Try to find a cross member to drill into and don't use screws longer than 3/4" or you'll pierce the roof skin. You might also want to try plastic EZ-anchors. Drill a 1/4" hole in the ceiling, turn in the plastic anchor and turn in a screw or eye screw to hold whatever you want. They're surprisingly strong, much more so than a simple screw.

Or, if you've got one installed, you can hang almost anything from the folding clothes hanger in the ceiling. That's where we hang our collapsible organizer. The girls love it and it sure keeps a lot of stuff from inevitably ending up on the floor!

Something else you might consider is a wire shelf mod. So easy to do, only takes a minute to set up and provides tons of useful space for gym bags, groceries, clothes, you name it. Best of all, you only need to drill two small holes in the ceiling and galley base to support the upright posts. The whole thing is collapsible and easily stores under a mattress.

Like so:
    [​IMG]
    More info here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=63734#msg547244 or search the forum using the search term "wire shelving mod".

7. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

He had both the long hanging (shoe box) and the wider and shorter one (over the sink).
    They were both.extremely nice to have you only need to be mindful of the wt u put in them (no can goods)

8. jenlin113

jenlin113 New Member

I have the wire shelf mod and I'm not sure how I ever did without it! It holds lots, and weight isn't a big issue. We had four people camping in an 8ft box pup for five days. Towels clothing and toiletries were out of the way.

9. ktharmon1

ktharmon1 New Member

Thanks everyone! It looks like I am building a shelving mod this weekend.

10. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I'm I saw on here someone made such a thing out of a work apron...you know the kind that just tie at the waist and cover the upper legs? I thought that was a great idea and bought some to try myself!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EXU49RI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

My coleman has one from the factory. It works great.

12. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

13. Sussya

Sussya Member

We did the tension rod shelving mod, and I love it. We keep plastic drawers on the shelves, and each family member has their own drawer, plus there is an extra drawer for miscellaneous stuff. There is still enough room for shower bags, paper towels, phones, glasses. Those shelves hold A LOT of stuff, and ours are on the smaller side. I can't imagine how much stuff the longer ones hold. Best mod ever! [:D]

[​IMG]

Robert McCaskill likes this.
  14. therapyonwheels

therapyonwheels Member

Nicely done! This really is creative. Love your curtain toppers, too.

15. Grammy and Pop

Grammy and Pop New Member

Pop and I have a hanging organized that has 8 spaces and 4 pull out baskets hanging from the cloths hanger, It touches the shelf underneath, so heavy things in the bottom compartment, to keep it stable. On that same shelf we use a 2 drawer plastic stacking unit for our cloths. They are both next to the queen bed end, so are great as a night stand for clock, glasses, water, etc.. the drawers hide pops meds. some games and cards, flashlights and lots of small items. We also have 4 rings hanging from the ceiling over the kitchen area in our Rockwood Premeir. I have 2 wire shelves hanging from chains with beaners and use 4 collapsible baskets that match the others hanger, to put all our kitchen supplies in. Our storage is almost non-existent from the factory. Because we live and camp in bear country, so all the food stays in the Van and we only cook out side. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

16. jcwells92

jcwells92 New Member

Could you post some pictures of this. Love any ideas on gaining storage space!!

17. weaselguys

weaselguys Member

We did shelving and hanging organizers for the bunk ends for wallets,glasses and such.
    Now the wife makes more organizers.

Attached Files:

megcabra likes this.