Hanging your Tarp over your Campground - How to

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by cuninham, Mar 31, 2011.

1. cuninham

cuninham Oh boy...!!

Ok...I got my 15x30 blue tarp but I wonder how the heck you go about stringing it up so high in the tress to cover your POP etc...whats the secret outside of climbing [;)]

2. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Here is what we do.

Before we raise the roof entirely on the PUP, we get out the tarp, our old awning poles, and rope.

We throw the tarp over the PUP. We tie off one side the "far" side of the PUP's latches - where the latches connect to the roof.

We then raise the roof, then put out the awning poles. Then we see if we can tie off the awning poles side to a tree. Sometimes this requires throwing a line over a tree branch, which is accomplished by tying something moderately heavy to the end of the line, and chucking it over the branch.

We don't have to climb. If the site isn't wooded enough to tie off to a tree, we will anchor to the ground with tent pegs. But then you have to watch where you walk in the middle of the night.

3. zuley

zuley New Member

We take a bit of friendly abuse from our friends because we tarp our site. We generally get the last laugh when we are able to sit out protected in the rain while buddy and his wife are stuck inside their camper. It also provide protection from tree sap messing up the top of our camper. We always hang the tarp in the site prior to backing the camper in. Get the tarp in place and then back and maneuver the camper in place underneath. We carry a 8 foot section of an old extension ladder on top of the camper. After selecting two trees across from each other and securing a line between the two we hang the tarp over the line and then raise the line and secure tightly to a tree. Once this is done you can easily secure the remaining corners and various points of the tarp to selected trees. All in all it takes about 10 minutes to do, 20 if I have a refreshment while doing so. Make sure you allow a route for the water to run off. On a two or three day trip we generally don't bother with a tarp. Anything longer than that always. It really does help to protect the camper from the elements.

4. takeAhike

takeAhike New Member

Great thread, I've been trying to perfect this for awhile (when tent camping), will definitely be trying these tips with the PUP.

5. cma7777

cma7777 Member

I like this idea! If anyone has any pictures, please post them with you commits. [A]

6. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

[​IMG]

I used four Noah's Pole I had bought from Campmor. I liked them so well I bought four more so I could vary pitch and angle of the tarp.

7. GetOutSide

GetOutSide Let's go get lost...

IMHO, the middle of the tarp should be higher than the ends so water runs down and off, not collects in the middle. No pictures handy, but I've done lots of tarp only camping (if you aren't at a campground it's a lot easier to find a suitable site) and look for trees with limbs about the right height. You can throw your line over the limb and around the tree pretty easily with practice. Tying a line to the corner of your tarp and then using the line to pull the tarp over is pretty easy too. Voila, a high peak in the middle.

8. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

ahhhhemmmmm. I am a tarpin pro . [A]
    Tarping properly takes a little thinking .We always tarp when rain is forecast for a weekend and automatically when we're away for a week .
    I personally don't like the blue tarps , they flap a lot in the wind and don't last long . I much prefer the heavy duty grey tarps with the reinforced grommets. we bought ours from TSC i think.
    We always make sure our tarp is over the firepit. What's the use of sitting outside in the rain if you can't have a fire .
    Make sure the tarp is angled into the breeze or wind (if possible) to cut down on the driving rain , if it comes. I also angle my tarp so that water runoff is directed right where i want ( when possible).
    Our tarp is set high in the trees , by simply tying something heavy like a rubber mallet to the rope ( make sure to attach to one corner of the tarp 1st [;)]) and tossing over a brach . Untie the rope from the mallet and tie around the tree .Leave it loose for now for adjustment later , once all corners are up . If , when the tarp is up and you want to lower a corner , loosen that rope slightly , run another rope from that corner down to the ground and peg it .

9. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I don't believe in putting a tarp over the whole campsite. How do you see the stars at night? I have an EZ up and an awning and they provice enough shade and rain protection. If it rains for an entire weekend then I am probably on my way home.

10. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

I've never tired the tarp idea but admit I am jealous in wet weather when those with the tarps are still able to enjoy a campfire and socializing outside. We may try it this year if the weather forecast is not so good.

11. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

I've posted this pic before ... it's my fishing buddy next to the covered pup, it's just quit raining and late in the afternoon. That particular area has rain quite frequently so when I go there always have the tarp over the pup and it also extends over the C/G picnic table which allows the cooking, eating, dishwashing and whatever else to continue while it's raining. In this case, the tarp is tied off to trees where convenient and where that can't be done, use those adjustable tent poles which are available at just about any sporting store, even Wal-Mart. In this case, the camper roof itself is the high point (not that heavy), and the p'up awning will keep the tarp out of the way of the door. By the way, we closed up the p'up, in the rain, under the tarp, and everything was not soaking wet but did have to dry out the dampness when we got back home.

[​IMG]

(note to cunningham) ~ Parachute cord is my favorite thing to use in tying things off. Where a little give and take is needed, I rig a bungee cord in there. Also, for getting to a high section of tree, I look for a limb. In my box of tricks that I keep in the p'up, I have one of those large machine nuts that's used on construction equipment ... measures maybe 3 1/2" across (and some heft to it), and I tie an end of the parachute cord to it and throw it over the limb. With the other end attached to the tarp, I pull it tight as needed, then go around the tree a couple of times with the tag end, then tie it to the base of the tree. When you want it to come down, untie it and let it go!

12. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

One thing that comes to mind when it's over the camper, it must make it dark in there. On our old camper just the tinted windows would really darken it in a shaded site to the point where I would need the interior lights on.

13. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Our tarp is about the width of the bed, so it covers the roof and extends out another 10 feet or so - kinda like an awning, so we only shade some of the windows. But yes it can make it dark, depending on the direction of the sun etc. For those of us who camp without AC and spend most of our time not under the tarp or inside the camper, thats not a bad thing.

14. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

Rope Throw Bag

Just a thought, we use a small stuff sack with 50ft. of guyline in it. One end of the guyline is attached to the stuff sack and the other end of the guyline is attached to a carabiner. Clip your tarp rope to the carabiner, put a rock into the stuff sack and sling it over a limb. Both your sling rope & carabiner store in the stuff sack "Light Weight"

15. cuninham

cuninham Oh boy...!!

Thanks everyone for your tarp-rigging insights...am going to be putting em to use this season [:D]

16. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

some state parks have rules about tying anything to trees. Make sure to check first before setting up or you might be taking down same day too!

17. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

No, not me, I just make due with the weather I've been handed.

Now years ago when I was tent camping I had this huge tent and could put it over both my tent and the screen house I had at the time with several feet of space between the two.

I have not considered tarping over the popup in the past but thinking about it now it seems like a good idea, if rain is forecast for most of the trip or the later part of the trip simply as it could make a difference between packing up wet or not or at least in how wet you pack up.

18. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

We have had some of our best times with tarps up , rain pouring down , a nice fire and a few cocktails .
    OK . a lot of cocktails [:D]

19. Liv

Liv New Member

ditto. Where we will be camping, it is not allowed.
    Lov
    Liv

20. nuthouseinva

nuthouseinva Portsmouth, Virginia

Found this image on the net just to get some ideas.
    [​IMG]

Make use of the trees if allowed at the park. Throw a line over a tree limb to gain height for the center of the A-frame.
    TIP!! Run a line from tree to tree instead of using tarp eyelets. This will alllow you to get the main line as tight as possible. Tie down the corners.
    Another tip! Raise and lower sides of the tarp as you need to depending on sun, rain or wind direction.