Hankering for a new lens...which one?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by shoman118, Jan 17, 2016.

1. shoman118

shoman118 New Member

I have been wanting a new lens, but keep waffling between a wide angle for landscapes or a telephoto for sports/wildlife. We have a trip tentatively planned for North Shore Lake Superior and I'm thinking I will splurge before then. But, I still can't decide! What do you all find yourselves using most when in the beautiful places of this country? I have a 28-75mm that is pretty much always on my camera right now. I can't do the waiting and stalking method of wildlife photography with my kiddos, so those shots are mostly just chance encounters anyway. Opinions?

2. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Camera body??

Anyway, we like our Canon L glass and find this is often the one most attached to the 7d. But my wife is a "birder" so this may not suit you. Sounds like you have a "walk around" lens already there. A long lens lets one sit back and get candid, unique shots one couldn't get as well up close. We also have an ultra wide lens but the long lens is used so much more.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-100-400mm-4-5-5-6L-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00007GQLS%3Fpsc%3D1%26SubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00007GQLS

[​IMG]

3. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

Sigma 150-500

What is the budget?

4. zorak

zorak Member

I agree, what's your budget and what camera body do you shoot? There are many good option from canon and nikon. I don't have much of a budget for photo gear so I have to make do with a sigma 10-250mm superzoom. I feel that even though image quality isn't fantastic, the versatility helps offset the image problems. An imperfect shot is better than no shot at all. I'm a nikon guy, so in addition to the 28-75 you already have I would have to go for a nikon 70-200 mm 1:2.8. Alas, I will have to wait till I have some extra funds to divert to a new lens myself.

5. shoman118

shoman118 New Member

I already splurged last year and upgraded from a Canon T1i to a 5DMarkIII, so budget for lens is less than $1000 and that is probably pushing it. I eventually want to do family photography as a part time professional, and I know the wide angle won't help me there. The telephotos in my price range aren't the super fast wide apertures, but I'm not sure how important that is. I don't usually shoot wide open because focus is not as sharp there on the lens I'm using now, so on a f/4.0 lens, I'd be limited to shooting around f/5.6or narrower maybe? I want some sweeping vistas too, and am not sure if wide angle will help with that (no experience with landscape photography really). I appreciate the input!
    Great Picture HiFiDave!

6. chambo

chambo Active Member

Well, whatever you end up getting, don't forget to repack the wheel bearings.

7. molanginaeda

molanginaeda Member

If you have a full frame canon body, canon L lens will be the best match. But the L lens is not cheap. You need to save up.

8. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

9. ryan the geek

ryan the geek Member

If you are not sure what lens you need, check out your metadata from the photos you do have. If you use Adobe software you can list and group your metadata, and this will tell you what focal distance YOU normally shoot. If you shoot mostly at 75 mm, you probably want to reach for a tele, if your on the wider end.... Since your a canon shooter, and have a mid budget. The older canon 70-200 f 4 is a great bargain, and very sharp wide open. The 5D Mrk III has a very nice ISO range and will be a nice crutch for buying a slower lens like an f4. Just my 2 cents.
    Good luck, and hide your credits cards, fast glass is like a drug [emoji6]

erond likes this.
  10. shoman118

shoman118 New Member

Didn't know you could sort by focal length...cool trick! Of the totally random variety of shots last year, I had 800 at 75 and 300 at 28. Thanks for the input and the info. on the older version 70-200.

11. Thai

Thai Member

Save and get the Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS II USM. You'll never find a sad owner of such lens. It's my workhorse. Love it. :)

12. shoman118

shoman118 New Member

I got the f/4.0 with IS. It is beautiful...and more affordable...figured I didn't need f/2.8 since I am usually shooting outside and it seems pretty crisp even wide open.

wmadoty likes this.
  13. PmRacing

PmRacing New Member

wmadoty likes this.
  14. Rob-N-Kat

Rob-N-Kat Member

I have the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Lens which does not have the IS but I mostly shoot on tripod and my camera body does not inject too much noise even at the higher ISOs. I got my version of the lens for $550.00 which for a white lens seemed like a great price because the optics are awesome.

15. leningradka

leningradka Spending a small fortune to live like homeless guy

I'm not sure which one of my
    Two hobbies is more expensive: photography or camping? I'm always buying something for one or the other!

16. Rob-N-Kat

Rob-N-Kat Member

I know that feeling.

17. orion669

orion669 New Member

hi, i shoot a canon T5 AND USE A TAMRON 18-200MM F/3.5-6.3 as my walk around lens. good quality for me(not a pro) i think its a good all-around lens. but also depends how wide a field you want.

18. link81

link81 New Member

Well, you can always stitch shots together for that expansive wide angle you're looking for. If most of your shots are at the extreme end of your current lens, then look for one that expands on that.

I'm not going to be any help regarding a specific lens, i'm a Pentax shooter lol.

19. ajreaper

ajreaper New Member

My go to landscape lens is the 17-40 L and my favorite walk around lens is the 24-105 L, really depends on what you tend to shoot the most then what you want to (can) spend.

20. erond

erond Member

I played buy/replace too many times while getting set up. I did the sort-by-focal-length trick on about 30k photos and I'm almost always wide angle, a lot of tele, and the a lot less "normal" range. My current kit gives me 12-600mm + 1.4x converter. I pack what I'm planning to use and then break it down further for walk-around of whatever I'm currently doing.

The Canon 28-135mm is a relatively inexpensive walking-around lens that you can pair with either a wider/longer focal length. Consider having at least two lenses; you'll generally have higher photo quality than using one lens that covers the full range and, for wide and normal range, you are much less obtrusive than with a wide-range zoom or super tele. Plus, shorter focal ranges tend to be a lot cheaper for faster glass.

Don't be afraid of 3rd-party (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina) lenses and consider try-before-you-buy with rentals. I've had good luck with lensrentals.com