Harbor Freight 3" Flood Lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by Fshrmon, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Fshrmon

Fshrmon New Member

Greetings.

I'm kicking around installing one and maybe two of the Roadshock 3" LED Flood lights from Harbor Freight on the Pup frame. I'd like to put one up on the front so when I roll into a campsite in the evening I can light up the tongue area to make it easier to see when I'm unhooking. Also, thinking of running wires underneath the Pup to the back and installing a second one on the rear bumper of the Pup for some additional lighting. Seems like it would be a pretty simple install with direct wiring to the battery. I'm working through the idea with where I would install the throw switch.

upload_2019-11-7_10-54-39.png

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-led-flood-light-64322.html?_br_psugg_q=roadshock

Anyone do this? or also thinking of doing it? Is there something I'm missing as to why this might not be a good idea?

I'm just researching and investigating at this point.

Cheers,
    Fshrmon

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

My first thought is that flood lights may be unwelcome at campsites to other campers.

THESE are cheaper and have magnets on the back of them to stick anywhere on the frame. I have about a dozen of them and use them inside the pup and out. They are amazingly bright and HF has free coupons for them all the time.

We hang them on the Shepard hooks on the bunk ends.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Sjm9911, Raycfe, bheff and 1 other person like this.
  3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Do these lights put out enough light to be useful backing up?

Our last couple trips this fall we have arrived at the campground after dark and I was thinking of putting a couple small LEDs underneath and on the back it the TT.

Econ likes this.
  4. Econ

Econ Active Member

Please let me hijack and add on to this thread. I drove 12 hours and tried to back up my driveway with the pathetic Aliner back up lights. Found found the socket on one was bad. The other had a bulb from the 1930's. I'm looking for backup lights that will melt anything within 20' feet. People would rather be anoid by backup lights than me running over their tent <GG>.At my age its hard to see 35'+ feet behind you going up a curvy driveway.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have 2 of those you attached picture of on the front of my tractor, they are really bright, maybe
    a little too bright for what you are considering and would probably have the CG neighbors
    complaining. Get a couple that BikeNFish recommended and try them, they are cheap and sometimes free at HF. Good Lick and happy Camping

Fshrmon likes this.
  6. Fshrmon

Fshrmon New Member

Thanks Everyone.

I'm digging the idea of using those blue HF magnetic lights. I've already got some of them around the house and in my camping gear. Didn't even think to use them and no wiring needed, which I like that!

I'll table the flood light idea and give those blue lights a go. I also don't want to upset other's experiences in the CG. I don't want to be like Cousin Eddie that's for sure.

Cheers,
    Fshrmon

BikeNFish likes this.
  7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I mounted a set of old foglights from one of our past cars on the rear bumper of our TT.. wired the lights up to the trailer battery, the relay and the switch actually both sit loose up in the tongue area below the propane tanks (under the tank cover) .

8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I have never tried it, but i would imagine that you could attach as many to the bumper as needed. If one doesn't work, add more! They're cheap.

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I agree about bright floodlights being annoying to other campers.

Similar to the ones BikenFish linked, I have a couple of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/rotating-magnetic-led-worklight-63766.html

I like them because I can set them on the ground on either side of the parking pad and use the lights to guide me in. I just angle them towards the height of the tires and when the tires are lit up, I'm far enough back. They are easy to attach to the hitch also.

10. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

more trouble than its worth - just grab your trusty head-lamp. In a similar vein I just relegated my blinding Ryobi 18V LED work lamp to storage - light was too bright and harsh - headlamp worked better for house and car projects.

11. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

I have two LED 4" flood lites on my rear bumper wired to my back up lites. Works great. photo(4).JPG

kcsa75 and Fshrmon like this.