HARBOR FREIGHT

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by Matt O, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I am so excited. HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS is opening in my home town [Guitar]. It is in Downingtown PA in the Wegmans shopping center. They have tons of decent inexpensive tools and items for use in your home or shop as well as items I will take camping, gloves, rope, tarps, flashlights, etc.

The items aren't professional grade but they aren't dollar store quality (or lack of) either. They are decent for basic use. My bro, sis, and I bought a tile saw from there 5 years ago and we have used it between the 3 of us to do 7 projects. I wouldn't use it if I was a professional tile installer but it is good for our use.

There was one where my Dad lived and he used to get the flier every week which would have 1 free item. He would go every week to get a free flashlight, work gloves, clamp, tarp, etc. As soon as I walked in to the store today they had a little table with cards so they can mail you a flier....I filled that card out quickly.

What Harbor Freight item have you gotten lately?

2. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Nothing lately, but I'll be there soon checking out trailer tail lights. What used to be my Coleman is now a utility trailer.

I bought a set of magnet mount trailer tail lights there a while back. The magnets were weak, and both of the lights were wired backward. I didn't expect a whole bunch for $10 though.

3. Twisty

Twisty New Member

If it matters to you, see where the tools and other goodies are made before you buy.
    A Foreman of mine was pleased as punch about his new multi tool - until it came apart after a couple days.
    Then he says Oh well, it was only three dollars... [:(]

4. ezduzit

ezduzit New Member

I understand where you are going Twisty. But... I was in the market for a light duty drill press last year. I looked all over and didn't like what I found. It seems that no matter where I went, they were all...uh.. foreign made. Sears, Home Depot etc., didn't matter. Fact is I bought the one from Harbor Freight because it was the best of the bunch, at half the price. (And it isn't very good. ) So there aren't many choices as things are now. To get something better, I would have to go as much as four or five times the cost. Still no guarantee that the actual mfr. of the parts is U.S.A.

5. Gary and Reba

Gary and Reba streetrod camping

i bought a low speed high torque drill to use for the pup. it seems to work great for 30.00 some dallors and sure beets cranking

6. Twisty

Twisty New Member

ezduzit,
    I understand. [;)]
    I'm living it too...

7. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Hey Matt---
    I love going into Harbor Freight. Always reminds me of the ACE Hardware store I grew up with in my hometown. You asked about recent purchases... I'm really happy with a flagpole and light I bought a few weeks ago and used on a recent camp out:

Solar Light & 20' Telescopic Pole included a USA flag and spinner brackets for 1 or 2 flag options.

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/579567595ZFnOnp?mediaPosition=1

8. huizarr

huizarr Member

I have bought quite a few things at Harbor Freight. In the past month I bought a torque wrench, IR Thermometer, various screwdrivers, mechanics types gloves, some hitch pins and more. Almost all of these items I used their coupons and saved quite a bit. The other day I had a plumber service the water heater in my house, he pulled out a Chicago Electric impact wrench. That is the Harbor Freight brand so some professional use them.

9. turtle

turtle New Member

Going there today just to look around. I've purchased quite a few tools, electrical items, tarps etc. and have been happy with the quality for what I need them for. I recently bought a roll up pouch for tools and put in there the basics to carry with the camper. It rolls up and will tuck away in a small space.
    I wouldn't buy my tools there if I was still an appliance technician as I'm sure they wouldn't last in everyday useage.
    I bought a multi meter on sale for $4.00 to carry for those rare electrical problems while camping and leave my $200.00 meters at home.

10. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 Member

Good for you... I'm glad you're getting a HF nearby.
    HF tools get a bad rap from a lot of people. The deal is to know the limitations of any tool. A friend of mine bought a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric "sawzall" and started to try and cut 4" diameter iron pipes that are the supports for a pole barn. He leaned with all his weight on the saw to cut these big pipes and the saw overheated during the second cut and quit on him. He threw the saw and said all HF tools are junk. I have the exact same HF saw and I have cut and built several projects including a complete race car roll cage out of steel, .095 wall tubing. I also have the HF small chop saw and used it on these projects. The thing is, these are light duty tools and you learn to let the blades do the work at their own speed rather than trying to force the blade through the work by leaning on the tool. I also welded these projects with the HF, hundred dollar flux core wire welder that I've had for five years.
    Sorry about the rant but I thought this was a good place for my little soap box [:D]

11. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Gary and or Reba,
    Do you know what model you bought? I am interested in doing the same but don't want to spend a coupe of hundred dollars...
    ms

12. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

I try to avoid going into Harbor Freight. I didn't know I needed that stuff and how unhappy I was without it until I went in there. I always wind up in this situation when I go there. For my "knock around the house" demands, these tools are great. Especially those specialty items that won't see use often like bolt cutters, chisels, picks, etc. Still, I can't walk in there without spending $100 or more, so I just try to stay away.

13. Matt O

The items I have bought there have held up for my basic household use. Sorry, I can't spend $100 for a tool made in America that I will use only a handful of times when a $10 tool from Harbor Freight will perform the same function for the same amount of times I use it. If I made my living with tools, then I would spend more money on my tools. As someone who only does small jobs around the house....Harbor Freight is great!!!

This store is right across the street from Home Depot and down the street from Lowes. I wonder what it is going to be like on a Saturday there. The store in my Dads town was always mobbed with lines at all of the cash registers.

14. Eagle85

Eagle85 New Member

My sister in law lives just down the road from you in Chester Springs. I will have to tell her dad that they are putting one near her. It would give him something to do when visiting from Cleveland.

15. dfab

dfab New Member

Harbor Freight just opened a new store in Danvers MA , is it worth my time to check it out or is it all junk.

16. Matt O

I just had a HARBOR FREIGHT DOWNINGTOWN PA open in my town as well. Some will say is crappy chinese stuff. I have been happy with everything I have bought there. It is great for the DIY person who doesn't need professional grade tools. It gets the job down at an affordable price.

17. FC

FC Central Florida

Junk is in the eye of the beholder. LOL... I like about 90% of the stuff they have.

18. jenoble99

jenoble99 New Member

I've bought a few things at Harbor Freight, including my friction sway control. I have bought a few tools, mostly stuff I won't use often. I don't know if I would buy a welder or something of that nature, but for hand tools, vises and that type of thing it works.

19. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Don't get the log splitter, it split before the log did... [8D]

20. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Sorry if you think this is Isolationism, but we all need to start buying American-Made. Lets get all Americans back to work. Forget all the cheap imports. They have a hand in keeping this country down. My Opinion.
    Have really started to find out where Products are made, imported, and sold because USA folks are financially vunerable in this Economy.
    And to tell you the truth, we have the capability to promote the Best from America.