HARBOR FREIGHT

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by Matt O, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

[:)C] I have bought a lot of items from them. One thing that I bought and hvae been very pleased with is their 1720 Lb rated trailer. It has been a remarkable item. I cut up to twenty coeds of firewood each fall and hull the cords in the trailer without any trouble. I have had it for at least seven years and love it.

2. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

AMEN !!!

3. dfab

dfab New Member

oops I gess I'm the 2nd op on this subject [:D] need to pay attention .

apachejeep I feel the same way but not every one can afford to + I think wee fell asleep for a long time and let the other countries jump ahead. I hope the auto industry learned its lesson , look at the stuff that's starting to come out of Detroit - it looks good.

4. rvalimont

rvalimont New Member

[:(O]
    wont buy from them ever there stuff is cheaply made and only last for about a year. PLEASE BUY AMAERICAN MADE our country needs the jump start....its not about how much its about staying free!!!

5. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

I feel a bit different. NOBODY CAN Afford to........... we cant afford to let this continue.

due to a nasty political discussion that will arise from this, I will refrain from further details other than saying we allowed our government to dictate foreign trade policies dating back 50+ years ago that began this snowball effect.
    70% of our FTP were put into place to maintain or start an ALLIANCE with nations we were bordering at times.of war and we needed their support and LAND to be able to succeed. on the back end, the administrations were forced into making half ass trade agreements to allow us unilateral access.

6. FC

FC Central Florida

I have to buy what fits my budget and serves my needs. Don't know that I can allways afford to buy American,or Japanese. I do agree we need to help our economy but, to be honest the unions have driven up the cost of labor sooo much company's cant afford to manufacture here. I am not trying to make this a anti Union thread but just look where all the jobs are going and you can see whats happening. I will do my part for our economy but my wallet tells me to buy with my head. Just saying. Harbor Freight has its place here. I bought a truck bed extender there for $29.00. My buddie has the same one he bought from Bass Pro and paid #130.00. We compared and its the very same one. Just my [2C]

7. carolsaucier

carolsaucier just the 2 of us

I'm with you Freddy, my budget says Harbor Freight or as it is known in our house "the big boy toy store". Love my cast iron DO with legs bought there and all those little free flash lights sure work on long walk to the bathhouse

8. FC

FC Central Florida

Carol. I cant wait to see you and John again. Come on spring. [:D]

9. dfab

dfab New Member

01YZF6 I agree with allot you have to say.

FC I was a Union rep at my shop for 15+ years and my experience was that management didnot want to do their job of managing pepole (yes they shouldn't need to but that's part of the job) severale pepole that needed to go stayed .

You dint see the Big shots at GM & Daimler Chrysler take pay cuts till the government started to look at them?

My point is dont just blame the unions , every one was greedy.

10. FC

FC Central Florida

I agree dfab. But that still don't change the facts of jobs going over seas. Once again I did not make my statement to be completely anti union. As I said I don't want to turn this thread into that. I think Harbor freight has been good for alot of folks on tight budgets. By the way, When GM went into Bankruptcy I lost my job. The union got bailed out I did not. Just saying. Now lets get back to Harbor Freight. [:D]

11. dfab

dfab New Member

I agree we got off topic just a little. :)

12. 1madscot

1madscot Member

Back near the tarps and such should be some little black, plastic clips for tarps. They have a screw closure on them to grip the tarp and a hole in the other end. These things are outstanding, I've found more uses for them around the pup and the rest of the house. They're only about $4, get a couple packs, you won't regret it.

13. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Sometimes you just can't. Recently, I wanted a remote controlled car or truck for my 3 year old son. I needed simple radio controls. I scoured the internet for Made in USA toys and found absolutely nothing. There are push-around wooden toys, etc., but not RC toys. So, I went to Radio Shack and bought a cheap clearance sale made-in-China truck. It works, but it is cheap and he can tear it up easily.

Also, I heard the other day (don't know if this is true), that an iPhone is assembled in China, but some of the parts are US made. You can get one for maybe $200? If they were totally made in the US, the cost would be $1,300 or $1,400. Very few would buy a $1,300 phone.

So what are we to do? When it makes sense to buy American made and I can, I usually do. But it is not always possible and certainly not always affordable.

And Made in the USA is a gray area now. My Toyota Sienna minivan was built in Indiana. I think some Ford trucks are made in Canada (or at least used to be)? Which is more American made?

14. 1madscot

1madscot Member

"I think some Ford trucks are made in Canada (or at least used to be)? Which is more American made?"...

...hate to be a 'nudge' here, but last time I checked, Canada is still part of America. I have no problems at all supporting my northern brothers.

I do agree with you though, my Chevy Aveo was made in Korea (though they are moving production to MI), and one of Mazda's biggest manufacturing plants is in Flat Rock, MI, which one is American made?

15. ezduzit

ezduzit New Member

The issue of foreign companys is a sticky one. I have 2 Honda motorcycles.
    One made in Japan and the other made in Marysville, Oh. Is one American made and the other not, or are they both foreign. "Buy a Harley". Well, not quite.
    Sad to say the parts of a Harley are not all US by a long shot. The forks have been made by Honda for a very long time. The brakes are Italian. On and on.
    Back to HF. If I'm buying a Chinese product in HF and a Chinese product in Sears, have I helped the USA?

16. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

DH can't go into Harbor Freight and come out empty-handed, and I have a hard time too when they have the "gadgets" shelves stocked. Picked up an electric single hot plate yesterday for $5.11. It didn't have a sale price on it and it was a pleasant surprise at the check out. If there's a sale on something you really want, go get it quick, because it won't be there the next day!

17. 1madscot

1madscot Member

I'm contacting the authorities right away, I think they've been looking for you [;)]

18. dfab

dfab New Member

Well went to the new Harbor Freight in Danvers MA to day. 20 minets in line with a $4.00 tool I wont go out of my way to go back. 90% of it is light duty home owner stuff , I did see some neat things to but my first trip stunk.

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The simple fact is that we are in a global economy and moving more deeply into it all of the time. It's pretty tough for the residents of any country to buy something totally made in their country. When you look at a complex product like a car you find that there is design and engineering, raw material procurement, sub-assembly fabrication, and final assembly. For most cars these things are done in many different places. The U.S. cars are not U.S. made for the most part. In fact, I read a recent study that said the Toyota is the car "most made" in America. Many of the Japanese, Korean and German brands build cars in the U.S.

I recently bought a RAM 1500 and my son bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Chrysler was owned by a German company (Daimler Benz) and much of the Jeep was designed and built with Mercedes methods and parts. Chrysler is now owned by Fiat of Italy. Did we "buy American"? Not really.

BTW, 1madscot, the last time I checked, Canada was on the North American continent but was most definitely not part of America (i.e., the USA).

20. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

"When it makes sense to buy American made and I can, I usually do. But it is not always possible and certainly not always affordable." ~ fallsrider

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm a fan of Harbor Freight although their website seems to be jacked up here recently.

Back in the day, when I made my living as a fleet mechanic, I would never have used HF tools professionally. They just aren't made to withstand that kind of punishment. But if you use tools as would most homeowners they're fine. I use tools from HF for those applications where you plan to use them once or infrequently.

As an example I offer this; a pair of MacPherson strut coil spring compressors is $15 at HF while a similar set is $70 at SnapOn.com. Now I know they're not the same toll but unless you swap struts for a living you don't need professional grade for this job. I'm all for buying American but simply can't justify adding 20% to the price of repairs just so I can say I did my part.