HARBOR FREIGHT

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by Matt O, Feb 1, 2011.

1. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

A few years ago, ( before I owned a Toyota) I was tire shopping at costco, and they had a real good deal on Yokohama tires. The sales guy tried to talk me into it, and I'm sayin' "I don't know, I'd rather buy American". I thought it over, and looked a little closer,and I see "Made in USA " on the Yokohama tires! Good enough for me. I know it's still a japanese company, but at least there is some Americans working for them. It's really hard to tell these days....

Greg

2. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

I am not saying it is lack of pride, or belief, and I certainly understand very much so the struggle of the economy vs. economical choices.

but the next time you go to buy an AMERICAN FLAG, look where it was MADE !

I was in a well known and highly respected establishment some years ago. I am a member at another but was a guest for this one.
    This organization bleeds red, white, and blue, thru and thru. it has for decades upon decades.

When I was helping with the Colors ceremony, I had the honour of folding the flag. upon finishing, I noticed the tag on the end... "Made in Taiwan"

I never felt more sick in my life, handed to the Color Guard Leader, and told him I will not return here ever again.

next time you see a POW/MIA stand set up, selling the support ribbons and magnets, support our troops swag, and American Flags. check them for their labels.

I have the highest respect for my fellow brothers and sisters who serve their country every day, and even more for those who have sacrificed their time and lives to maintain our freedoms.

so on certain things, I refuse to budge on my determinations.

I am not a hypocrite, nor an extremist who wants to push my beliefs on anyone else. I shop at all the big box stores, and some of my possessions are certainly not Made in America. but if I have the chance at buying the product MADE in the USA vs. the next item over thats not, I will. I will also buy the LOCAL guys product given the opportunity.

3. henrywil22

henrywil22 New Member

A few years back my niece was in the navy and was working as a recruiter. She gave me a really nice coffee mug. Ironically on the bottom it was stamped made in China. I'm not sure what the implications for the country are in that. [:)O] [8D]

4. dackley

dackley 1999 Jayco Heritage Laurel with popout

people laugh at me when i tell them that i have never owned a foreign vehicle (Dakota & jeep) but when i was young during the Vietnam war, they would not take me because i had 2 kids under 3 years old. So my idea was to never buy a foreign vehicle and I'm 62 now, and proud of my decision.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

dackley, your Dakota and Jeep are partially foreign vehicles and the company that owns Chrysler is Italian. It is currently impossible to buy a 100% "American" car or truck and has been for quite a few years.

6. dfab

dfab New Member

Tripod the US owns more of Chrysler than Fix It Again Ted , they are running things though and in a year or two I dont remember the time frame can purchase up to 52% . I can say that my 70 plymouth roadrunner was built in Detroit but every thing els in my driveway, T&C Canadian - Ram pu Mexican.

Even though we got off topic its interesting to see how pepole feal about American made products.
    01YZF6 that's sad about the flags it should be MADE IN THE USA ONLY!

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

A '70 Plymouth Road Runner... well, yeah, it's American-made but it is 40 years old. Like I said, U.S. cars haven't been all American-made in a long time. Ownership of a company is only one part of the issue. Global sourcing for design, engineering, materials, sub-components, components and assembly is another. Even if Chrysler ever becomes 100% American-owned again its cars will still not be 100% made in America.

As for the flags, just for yuks, let's take a different perspective on the issue. A huge number of flags are purchased by tax-supported agencies: military, government, states, cities, etc. Is it fair to the taxpayer, who is already getting hammered in this economy, to pay four or five times more for flags made in the U.S.? Personally, I don't think so. Also, from the patriotic point of view, what's really important, the flag as a symbol or where the piece of cloth was dyed and sewed? I think it's the symbol.

8. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

My wife won't let me go into HF anymore!!!!!

9. SkamperCampers

SkamperCampers New Member

I shop HF fairly regularly. I agree with what most have said about their products - they serve their purpose if you don't overuse them. I wouldn't buy my everyday powerdrill there, but they are a good source for things that will only be used once in a while.

As for the whole "American Made" argument - when are we going to realize that we are a global society? Should I promote a NY business over a PA business? Or Buffalo vs Rochester? Where does it end?

10. Ksuburban

Ksuburban New Member

The first time I used a HF hammer the head flew off. The first time I used a pick it bent. The first time I used a pry bar, it broke. I don't trust any tool that has to hold up to any kind of pressure. I have a vacuum pump, and that works fine, and their Pittsburgh impact sockets are ok.

11. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I am in the process of resealing my roof. Using my drill and a wire wheel was not getting the goop from the seal for the center seam or the end caps. I went to Harbor Freight and bought an Angle Grinder and better wire wheel. It worked awesome to clean up the roof. It only cost me $10 for the angle grinder and $3 for the wire wheel. A Home Depot angle grinder would have been $30 and then the wire wheel would probably have been like $7.

I'm happy with Harbor Freight.

Oh, and I got a free pair of gloves [HH]

12. jshulenberger

jshulenberger New Member

It's increasingly harder to find things that are all American made these days. There is a web site dedicated to this that can help. http://www.madeinusa.org It does list Harbor Freight, and says "Most are imported, but a few good items are still Made in USA."

I found Harbor Freight when I was looking to build my garage. I almost spent $300.00 on a framing nailer, then checked there, and found one for $50.00. I opted for the 2 year guarantee for an additional $10.00 to cover me if it broke. It's hard to argue with the almighty dollar.

Spending money these days is supporting the local economy. Which is (mostly) Americans.

13. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

On trucks, it was true that growing up, Ford and GM both had big truck plants in the greater Toronto area, as well as GM's full size van and the Dodge B series/RAM van in Windsor.

None of those things are made in Canada today.

The Ford plant was renovated and combined with the neighbouring car plant. Today they make the Ford Edge, Flex, Lincoln MKT and MKS.

There are still GM cars being made in Oshawa, but the van plant is dead, the truck plant is closed.

But there are some bright spots, Honda, Toyota both make vehicles here now.

As for content, I won't rehash the entire thread, but there have been some threads on here that show that the Japanese manufacturers had more North American parts content that many of the Big three makers cars built in the US.

As for Free Trade, it wasn't really on Canada's radar until the Reagan administration pushed it on us. Our PM at the time, Mulroney, had actually spoken out against free trade before he was elected.

14. kelley1204

kelley1204 New Member

I would like to put my 2 cents worth in, I love Harbor Freight but I don't get to go there often as it is to far for me to just drop in. I go in their and find the neatest gadgets that I just can't live without. When we go into that store and buy there, we are supporting America. Who is working there? Who delivers the goods there? Think of how many American's have jobs there that we are supporting because we shop there. If we didn't, they would be without a job. So is it so bad the products are made somewhere else, we are helping America. Many people are out of jobs because companies have closed or downsized. If everyone stopped shopping there then think of how many people would be without a job. I believe I am helping America by helping someone keep their job.