Hardly any pop ups at Tampa RV Supershow

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by CCundiff, Jan 21, 2017.

1. CCundiff

CCundiff Member

I just got back from the supershow at the Florida state fairgrounds. There were only four pups in the whole show! (Not including A-Frames). 3 coachmens and one flagstaff high wall. RV one who is a big Jayco dealer around here didn't have a single one on display. Salesman said they may bring one over on the last day. It doesn't seem these dealers are really pushing pop ups any more. I guess with with cheap gas and the high cost, it's more profitable pushing 5vers and motor homes.

2. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Add to that the low prices for entry-level travel trailers and the low finance rates, perhaps beginning campers may be skipping tents and pup-ups all together.

Pop-ups and tents take time to set up, and people who don't have much time may want something that is easier to set up in the dark on a Friday night.

3. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Generally you pay by the square foot for space at shows. Would you rather take up that 8' x 25' space with a $15,000 item or a $25,000 item?

Or

No one at the dealership knows how to set one up. Lol

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.

4. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

^^ This. It's all about profit margin per square foot at the RV shows ?

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We went to a couple of RV shows here. We found that the dealers don't take all of the models they have on their lot. A lot of what they take seems to be higher end items, new items, and so on. The last time we went,they did have some popups.

Our dealer, OTOH, seems to have a wide range of RVs, including at least a couple of brands of popups, including A-frames and slide-in campers.

6. backinthegame

backinthegame If it ain't poppin, it ain't campin

We were at the NC RV show in Charlotte ...there were only 10 dealers at the show and only 1 had popups and A-frame... of those maybe 4 or 5 were traditional pups... 2 were highwalls... the pups looked to be in the mid teens for prices and like said above the price point for pups is the same or right at entry level travel trailers... I would imagine that's why none or very few at shows....

Kevin & Kandy Jones
    HOC Member #3501
    2017 Mallard M32

7. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

We just went to the RV show in east Tennessee a few weeks ago. They didn't have any pups. Only hybrids, and up from there.

8. Jughed

Jughed Member

Just read this on Jayco's PR about 2016 sales. I don't know if its because other vendors are not offering as many Pup's, but Jayco is doing fine with what they call the "camping trailer":

-Jayco’s camping trailers also saw a significant increase this year with a 13.33% growth in sales and a 11.52% increase in market share.-

9. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Active Member

I've been to a few shows and never seen more than 2-3.

I'm a little surprised there at that many. The prices I've seen for some new, very smallish pups were +$12,000. Why shell out that much cash for a pup when for $10,000 more you get in to small TT territory that you can finance for 15-30 years?

10. CCundiff

CCundiff Member

After going from small pup, to bigger pup, to hybrid, to travel trailer, back to pup, my biggest thing was storage. I like to be able to store them in the garage. They last so much longer. All of the others I stored outside in the Florida sun took a beating in just a few years even with covers. I also didn't realize how much I liked ease of towing on long trips until I started pulling that hybrid around. It was like a sail. What would normally be one gas fill up heading up to the North Georgia Mountains with a PUP was a four gas fill up with the hybrid. I just remember the 2012 Super Show and there were dozens of POP UPs of all makes and brands but you are right about price. The least expensive new PUP at the show with the same floor plan as mine was 13k. That's a lot of dough for an entry level trailer.

11. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

We have our show up here in Jax in late Feb and I'm interested to see how many show up this year myself. The DW would like a newer one or in another year or so I'll have to replace the canvas so I want to push her toward an actual NEW Pup.

If you read my post from our show last year I think we only had 4 and she didn't like them. One thing she doesn't like is crawling over the dining area seating to get to the bunk and I have to keep the GVW under 3k to make towing easy on the T&C minivan. It might be a sale if there's one there that fits both criteria.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I don't think entry-level campers would go to an RV show. They probably didn't showcase many tents either lol.

13. StarCraft88

StarCraft88 New Member

There seem to be fewer manufacturers of popups unless that is just an illusion since the StarCraft brand name isn't out there with new popups anymore.

I agree with CundiffClan about popups. I have an old 8' box popup and it is so easy to tow. It is pretty easy to maneuver into campsites and it doesn't block my view while driving. This is very important to me because I am 62 years old and was never the person who had to do the towing before. Yes, I am a wimp but this popup allows me to go camping and not stress out over the "getting there." I sure hope that the future of popups is bright. I looked at hybrids and really like the idea but decided against it because I was looking at the lightest weight versions and read somewhere on (I think) this website about wind being a problem (for the lightest weight ones). Not knocking them. I just don't have the experience and confidence to deal with anything other than driving/pulling something really small.

14. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

We had an RV show in GR MI, I would say about 8 pop-ups were there max. Every Jayco (2017) model was there, viking 10 ft, clipper 10ft, Flagstaff off-road 10ft, rockwood a-frame base model. This is pretty much listing everything on the market available. There are minor changes between models - but there seriously isn't much to look at in these trailers.

I will admit I didn't see any of the luxury pop-ups with the high walls or anything...

Though, compared to the airstream basecamp/bambi - various hybrides/TTs that have actual changes per floorplan and brand - and of course the $100,000+ group of things the pop-ups were boring to look at.

15. michigan_camper

michigan_camper Member

For some reason, I have been a die hard pop up user. I just purchased my fourth one last summer. At 3700 lbs and a sixteen foot box, it really stretches the limitation of what pop ups represent. At about $17k we were close to the small hybrids. But to get as much space and bedding, a small hybrid wouldn't work so it would have been a lot more.
    Reasons for going with the highwall pop up: I still get it into my garage. My last one I just sold was 17 years old and looked like new because it never saw any weather.
    I like the feel of being in the open tent of a pop up vs the enclosed feel of a hard side. I love all the daylight and the breeze. The new one has AC but I doubt we'll use it much in Michigan.
    Plus, even at 3700 lbs I can still drive something like my GMC Acadia instead of a diesel truck all year for the sake of towing. And even at that weight and size, I use no sway control or weight distributing hitch. I can't see over the top of this one in the rear view mirror, but it's still pretty easy to tow.
    Maybe if my next house has a pole barn, I'll consider getting a hybrid, but we're in no hurry. The HW296 is real nice if you like popups, and I do.
    Oh, and one final thing, I really hate how the monster rigs are destroying the esthetic of the parks. Since they can't even jam those rigs into the camping spots, they are starting to park them longways on the road facing in. It looks ridiculous and the campground looks like a parking lot or an RV show.

16. CCundiff

CCundiff Member

^^^^^+1^^^^^. When we first got our hybrid, which was a beautiful trailer, I still found myself checking out the PUPs at the campgrounds and cruising the PUPs in craigslist. Something about those things.

17. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

We love our HW296 also and bought it for many of the reasons you mentioned.

Interesting comment on the rigs parking lengthwise because they cannot fit. I have not seen this and I agree it would be ridiculous to have them all parked along the road. Must make for a crappy walk around the campground experience.

Vin.

18. michigan_camper

michigan_camper Member

We camp almost exclusively in state parks, and many of those were built years ago when most campers were in tents or small trailers. Some campgrounds accommodate the huge rigs just fine, but many have small unlevel spots that the huge Transformer Winnebago's just can't manage.
    I think this explains the popularity of some of the private parks. Most private parks I check our are large tree-less parking lots loaded with monster rigs . They love the pull-through full hook-up and will trade a true woodsy park feel for something that will handle their rig.
    Sometimes I see those places and it's like a big truck stop. No trees or brush, level as a football field and wall to wall diesel trucks and mobile homes.

19. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

The last two RV shows I went to (Pittsburgh PA), there were no popups... I mainly wanted to snoop around the pups, HTT and look at misc supplies. Unfortunately, I was sadly disappointed. No pups and just a few HTT. All they showed was mostly large 30+ footer TT all the way up to monster MH's. Even looking for misc camping supplies was little to none... We skipped it this year... didn't really want to waste our time... [:(]

20. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

"I like the feel of being in the open tent of a pop up vs the enclosed feel of a hard side. I love all the daylight and the breeze."
    YES. That's all there is to it. Beloved Wifey Person dragged me to the RV show here in Atlanta last weekend and I'm glad we went, because we realized how well-off we are with what we have. I will be doing a few mods in the next couple months to both increase storage and increase access to the stores we already have, since that's the biggest thing but I love our PUP.
    Sure, packout day is still a drag and still takes too long, but that's because we have so much extra stuff outside, I don't believe a travel trailer would save us any more than five or 10 minutes.