Harper's Ferry KOA Site recommendation

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Lauren Pentz, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Lauren Pentz

Lauren Pentz New Member

My family and I are going to take our Clipper POP up over the July 4th Holiday. I searched through other threads on here, but wondering if anyone had recent experience staying here. I know it is a little crowded and loud sometimes from many other reviews, but I am wondering about specific site recommendations.

Is it worth calling and requesting a specific site for an extra $20. I was thinking of booking the the water/electric back in sites #104-111, #118-120. This is the grouping for that online reservation. The #118-120 look like they might not be that private, but I haven't been able to find anything to confirm or dispute that.

We will be doing activities with River Riders next door if you have any thoughts on that too.

Thanks so much!

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Boy, KOA really nickel & dimes you, $20 to reserve a specific spot. Either way you get wedged between two Class-A RVs.

WVhillbilly likes this.
  3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

KOAs near popular attractions like that are expensive. This one is only an hour or so from me and i have never been to it. The stuff to do is too close to home to warrant us paying that kind of money. (we do use KOAs alot when we have done long tourist trips - like to Yellowstone, Grand Canyon so I do get it).
    So the question about paying 20 bucks to be able to reserve a particular site..... I would not pay it, the site is not that important to me as when we are in the tourist mode, we are not really camping, we are out doing the tourist thing during the day and not at the site. At night, we end up eating dinner and retiring early, tired out from our excursions. We don't do a fire, may not even set up the chairs. We understand that we may be wedged in between two other sites (they are like a parking lot). Noise never really bothered us as our air conditioner drowned out some of the noise. (as far as it being between two Class A's - well, that would not really bother me, but that may happen only if you are in a full hook up pull through site with a patio LOL - getting a W/E only back in site is the lowest of the low - well maybe not - a no hookup tent site would be that) -

no experience with River Riders, we did White Water Challengers on the Lehigh river in Penn. we stayed at Hickory Run state park for that one - was a great trip, and a good rafting experience (though really really crowded - Saturdays are the worst. lots of kid groups like the scouts).

Lauren Pentz likes this.
  4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We stay at KOAs mostly on our big trips going cross country. We stayed in KOAs for our last years Michigan trip and they were nice and not really crowded. We take what ever site the give us and we have never complained since they were decent sites. We would not pay extra to be at a specific site. Some of the more popular areas seem to be more crowded then others. The idea we go with is that we are not at the site during the day since we are sightseeing and doing whatever. The only time we are really at the site is the evening if we are cooking dinner at the site and for breakfast in the AM.

Lauren Pentz likes this.
  5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Just a little clarification on my post above.

While on our big trips we will stay at KOAs mostly for one nighters while traveling out west. Our Michigan trip we stayed at KOAs since all the state campgrounds were booked. We stayed at the Traverse City and Mackinaw City KOAs each for two nights as well as the Niagara Falls KOA for a night.