Harpers Ferry KOA

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by jenventola, Sep 15, 2016.

1. jenventola

jenventola New Member

http://www.harpersferrykoa.com/

200+ sites, with various hookup levels, plus cabins. Primitive, Water/Elec, and Full hookups all offered. Back-in and pull-through sites available. Pets are allowed everywhere except cabins, inside buildings, and pool area.

Stayed here in July of 2016

Site Details: We stayed in Water/Elec site #101. Site was not level at all, very tight, and oddly-shaped. However, it was definitely one of the more spacious RV sites in the campground. The bugs (mainly gnats, a few mosquitoes) were horrendous while we were setting up. After a few hours of burning citronella and mosquito coils, they were tolerable.

Facilities/Overall Park: This campground was huge, and very crowded. We were there in the days leading up to 4th of July, and there was not a single empty site. Our section had mostly pop-ups and mid-size travel trailers, so the sites were all grassy. However, the area with pull-through sites for big rigs was just a huge RV parking lot. All roads were very narrow and winding. We did fine with the pup, but can’t imagine trying to navigate a large motorhome through there. Crowding/space issues aside, this is a really nice (albeit expensive) campground. Everything, from the grounds, to rec halls, to pool and laundry, was sparkling clean and beautifully maintained. Staff was very friendly, as well. Tons of stuff to do here, especially for families: arts & crafts, indoor movie theatre, games, civil war reenactments, wine tastings, etc. We were certainly never bored, and the kids thought they had died and gone to heaven. Bathrooms were very clean as well, and there was surprisingly never a wait for the showers. Free daily pancake breakfast is included during the on-season, which was nice.

Surrounding Area/Attractions: Harpers Ferry Nat’l Historic Park is right next door, which is really neat. There are also a ton of outdoor recreation opportunities nearby, from white water rafting to hiking to river tubing. We didn’t take advantage of any of these, since we had our dog with us, and the kids are still a little too young for some of the “extreme” activities.

Overall, this is a really nice place, but much more of a resort than a campground in my opinion. The kids loved it, but I’ll always prefer the wooded seclusion of a state or national park. However, if I was looking for a more action-packed, activities-filled “glamping” experience, I wouldn’t hesitate to return.

2. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

I had looked at that KOA in the past as we like to stay within a couple of hours of Baltimore for quick weekend trips and had ruled it out simply due to the price.

Nice to know about it though, but does not sound like my kind of place.

3. theonlytina

theonlytina Member

Great place to keep kids busy. They have so many activities. The sites are primarily dirt though + very close together. Still it is great for a family. You can feel comfortable letting your kids roam at this place. Staff has always been excellent too. Also close to Harper's Ferry for a day trip + the local tubing company is happy to pick you up there. You can also hike to fishing. Easy trip from Baltimore too.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Sure wish I looked here when I camped at Harper's ferry. However my kayak group was specifically looking for a campground on the water. Found a small one called Harper's ferry campground, right near a set of active railroad tracks complete with train whistle. However the real kicker it was by a blind tunnel and cars had to blow there horn when entering the tunnel. It made for a very long sleepless night. Actually I would have preferred the train whistle vrs the car horns. It wasn't a bad campground, just bad location. However a great adventure place. We had fun, that's what counts and after a long kayak day your arms are dead so being able to just pull in was nice. Then again if you are an adventure and all you are looking for is a place to crash for the night, it's good enough. Just sure wish I looked into other alternatives. Thanks for the review.

5. BlackDog

BlackDog New Member

Trains and car horns would be a lot better than what I experienced at the Harpers Ferry KOA the weekend of 4/28/18. Campers were allowed to loudly party until well after midnight, even after camp staff were notified. Drinking started early in the morning and it just got louder and more offensive from there. The partying included swearing, music after midnight and public urination. The popup camper was left parked and folded after the weekend. Perhaps these campers have a relationship with the KOA management?

There was also heavy machinery operating during the week. If you think you can get peace and quiet after the party people leave, no such luck as long as the site work is going on.

I also had valuable items stolen from my campsite.

The sites are crammed next to one another. (I don't understand how it is safe to allow fires in these close quarters.) The roads are washed out, and many of the sites are not level. This place must be a zoo when every spot is filled. A number of sites are located at the bottom of downward slopes. I sure wouldn't want to be on one of those sites when it rains. There also appears to be a sewage treatment facility across from tent sites 104-111. At least that's what it looked, sounded and smelled like.

On top of all this, the KOA charges an additional $10/night "resort" fee for "amenities." The "amenities" include a closed pool. I was told the fee is mandatory, even though "amenities" were not open and I did not use the few that were.

Given all the problems, it's not surprising that office staff do not answer the phone or respond to emails. It wasn't until I left a message that I was contacting the Sheriff's office that I got a response.

If bath facilities are important to you, the showers appear to have been recently renovated and are very nice. Some staff tried to be helpful. I suspect the friendly staff were "work kampers," and the non-responsive staff paid employees, but that is speculation on my part.

It's too bad the KOA is so poorly managed. The location is ideal--next to the entrance of Harpers Ferry NP. Despite that, when I return next year I will be looking for an alternative to the KOA, even if it means driving for an hour or more.