Has anyone camp knowing it will rain

lazysol

Apr 15, 2015
We are going this weekend to blue spring sp in Orlando and it looks like it 80% chance of rain, what have you guys done knowing it will rain. Did you cancel plans or just go and hope it clears? Just curious what have you done

HobieNick

Mar 16, 2015
It's Florida. Doesn't it rain almost every day? Anyway, we have gone when we knew it was going to rain. Some of the parks we go to have indoor activities. Some are near small towns that have lots of shops to browse. We also hang around camp more than usual. At night, there is nothing more peaceful than the sound of steady rain falling on a tent or a boat. Go and enjoy.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Camping in the rain is still better then being at work in the sun ...

lazysol

Apr 15, 2015
Yeah it rains there.. we were just hoping to enjoy the springs but when they show that much rain it just sucks if it's a wash out.. I know we will find things to do I just hope it rains later in the day to enjoy the springs

martykowalski

Sep 15, 2013
Personally- I go. To me, rain is just part of the outdoor experience. [{}=]

A % chance of rain is the probability it will rain at any given point sometime during the day. They could be 80% certain a squall line will push through and dump 30 minutes of rain, but the other 23 and a half hours of the day will be dry. I'd watch the forecast to see of it's scattered or an all day rain.

kjcamper

Jul 12, 2008
Wisconsin
The only plans we cancel when we know it will rain is going in the lake or pool. I do not remember ever NOT going camping at all knowing it was going to rain. A lot of places you go, you have to plan so far in advance, it would take all the fun out of it if you were 100% sure it wasn't going to rain.

campfire Joe

Jan 27, 2015
peru new york
We just expect it to rain when we go. We just got back from a 7 day trip and it rained 5 days. Luckily it didn't rain during set up or take down, but we still reset it up when we got home today to make sure it is dried out. But to answer your question, yes we still go even if we know it is going to rain, cause weather forecasters are so accurate in their forecasts. [;)]

lazysol

Apr 15, 2015
Thanks yeah we are going just hoping it doesn't and if it does we will find something to do just I hope not on setup and take down..lol

nineoaks2004

Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday
Oct 15, 2006
Dukes, Fl
You are in FLA. the weathermen do not do a very good job of predicting the weather here. Mostly any rains pass thru quickly. I would not cancel, I never have, if it rains there are lots of other things to do until it passes. BTW Blue springs is a nice campground. Enjoy the trip and happy camping.

dion

Apr 26, 2012
There's rain and then there's RAIN. If the forecast calls for more than 8 inches of rain a day, or some sort of constant downpour without letup, or severe weather that is likely to be dangerous, then things stop being fun and we might just cancel.

But an occasional shower? That's why the PUP has tenting over the beds and not an open-air roof!

Anyway, camping is supposed to be fun. This is a hobby, not a job. It's up to you to decide when it stops being fun, and when you'd be happier staying home, or retreating to a motel, or whatever.

tcanthonyii

Super Active Member
Jun 29, 2010
I just go camping. If it rains it rains. Seems like it rains dang near everytime I go out. Maybe a lot or maybe a little. So long as I can get setup when it's dry or semi dry I'm good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMSubRN

Apr 15, 2015
We have only had a chance to camp in our PUP our once. It rained hard the first day AND night. The rain got very loud a couple of times during the night but each time it woke me, I was so happy to be dry and cozy in the PUP.
After that experience I would not let the chance of rain keep me home. And I'll probably sleep through the loud rain the next time knowing, for sure, that we aren't going to get wet.

apopkabob

May 8, 2012
I live in central Florida as well in the past 3 years since purchasing our popup it has rained at least once during every time we have gone camping enjoy your trip

2013 Rockwood 1980
2015 Ford Explorer

crissylodmell

Jul 22, 2015
We try to take a board game or puzzle and just hang out inside until is passes (and it usually does!). It's also a reason to have a fun snack or read aloud (if the rain is not too loud).

Heartman_wa

Super Active Member
Mar 5, 2006
Tacoma WA.
Do you have kids going with you? How big is the PUP? Who much rain is forcasted? It's just DW & I and we camp in the rain all the time but if you have an 8 ft. box and some young ones I would rethink have them stuck in there for hours at a time in tight quarters.