Has anyone camp knowing it will rain

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by lazysol, Jul 23, 2015.

1. StPeteClipper

StPeteClipper Member

Looks like a washout this weekend and many seem to be bailing. I just checked Fort Desoto here locally and 18 sites are available from tonight through Sunday night, which is unheard of.

2. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

We've camped before with rain in the forecast. If we didn't, then we'd only camp in the hottest months here. We did cancel when the rains were coming that flooded about half the lakes in Texas though.

3. jdirosa72@gmail.com

jdirosa72@gmail.com Member

That's a given in fla, camped at fort wilderness and been rain on many times as long as u can deal with the mess go for it, and blue springs is suppose to be pretty nice, I work right down the road from it,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Momof2gems

Momof2gems New Member

Summers in Nova Scotia are often very wet. We bring games, books to read and a big tarp :)

5. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

What he said! We went to Florida last year during spring break to fossil hunt. We knew the day after we got there would have rain all day. We hung out in the pup and read our books and napped and ate lunch. It was very relaxing listening to the rain.

You can't let weather ruin your having a good time. Weather happens. As someone else said, it's part of the experience.

6. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

The thing is about rain being in the forecast, a lot of the time it will be a less than 100% chance, so we get a sprinkling in the middle of the day...or one time it was just a very light drizzle. Sure we've been in the camper during a thunderstorm or two, but it didn't bother the kids one bit. Kept DW and myself awake though. If the forecast is for flooding, then I would consider not going due to the safety factor and how long it takes to strike camp.

7. lazysol

lazysol Member

Yep I'm glad we came.. no rain when we got here and today was hot and sunny til about 7pm so I could not ask for better weather then that.. I glad we camp and the rain cools things off and we are having a blast.. now just hope it doesn't rain when we pack up..

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

After one whole summer of dealing with rain on pack up day, we decided to go join the darkside.. Makes camping in the rain so much more enjoyable, can hang the wet rain gear in the shower to dry, place wet muddy boots in the tub to dry and have a bigger awning to sit under..

9. JamesandTina

JamesandTina Member

We go regardless, rain is nothing more than liquid sunshine. The only time we would cancel if it was a hurricane. Go and have a Good time and enjoy each others company. I love to hear the rain hitting the canvas at night. Any day camping is better than a day at work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

10. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Our last trip we experienced a terrible storm. Several others in the past as well. We have camped in heat, rain, cold, snow. Why would weather stop you. Pack and prepare properly and camping is always fun.

11. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I don't mind the rain, it's the lightning storms I hate, even in my home. I grew up in Orlando, Winter Garden, Crime Hills, etc., so I know what y'all are talking about. I came to the conclusion if it's not lightning, a nice slow walk to the bath house is convenient, especially if the showers have those push buttons for water. When you get there, you're already wet, so just step in, lather up, and rinse. If it's still raining when you get done, wear the wet clothes back to the camper and change there! Sounds silly, but those crappy showers you run into are pure hell to get your hair nice and wet and then rinsed well...at least you'd be ahead of the game! [A]

[:D]

12. davido

davido Active Member

There's rain, and then there's RAIN.

In the Sierra Nevadas, and the Uintas -- the two places I've spent the most nights camping throughout my life -- it seems to rain a little most days. I consider that acceptable. In fact, I sort of enjoy it.

If I'm going for a week, and the forecast is 90% chance of rain all day for three of those days, sure, I'll still go. I'll set up the canopy over the picnic table, the awning in front of the pup, and find things to do to occupy my time while I wait out the rain.

But if the forecast is heavy rain all week, not just little daily thunderstorms but real nasty weather the entire time, I'll probably find a better way to spend my time off.

A few years ago I had a trip planned to Yosemite. It was an annual thing for a few years, and we didn't want to let the opportunity pass. The weather forecast was unfavorable. We arrived and set up our tent in the rain, our old leaky canopy in the rain, and enjoyed ourselves immensely. The rain lasted a couple of days, we had probably two days with no rain at all, and the remaining three days had afternoon thunderstorms, and another round in the middle of the night. But we were able to stay dry enough, and had a great time.

Your mileage may vary; everyone's tolerance for cold and wet conditions is different.