Has anyone ever done a camper exchange?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Redbird234, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

At one campground we met a family from Ontario and they shared that one year they drove out West with their trailer. Then the grandparents flew out west, they drove the camper home and the family flew home. I thought it was genius but for it to work you would need someone you could trust with the camper

I was wondering that in the history of this board if anyone has ever exchanged campers? I think I'd rather do a house exchange then a trailer exchange which is odd as I paid way more for my house but I love my trailer.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I don't exchange or lend out anything. Easier and you keep more freinds that way.

Orchid, Rik Peery and nineoaks2004 like this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I am very careful about loaning items out and only to a very select few (I can only think of 2 people) I never loan my guns, or vehicle and my campers out to anyone.
    nor do I borrow things because if something happens not like some people, I am responsible for and would do the repairs.

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Nope, like mentioned above I would only trust a select few with my camper and TV. They are my family and I know they have MANY years tow experience under their belt. However I know them to HATE camping so they would never volunteer. Within reason, I can reach out to them if I'm in a real tight pinch and I'm sure they would help me out, but I would be paying for their hotel costs as they would not like camping.

5. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

A friend who leads a girl scout troop asked to borrow my camper for a campout. I was not thrilled but wanted to help her since she does so much for our church and community. I explained how difficult it is to set up and probably embellished some details... Eventually I agreed to go set it all up for her and the other leader, and then pick it up the next day. In the end, the trip was cancelled and they never asked again.

Pop ups have too many set up items for someone who isn't that familiar with them to use. Even if they say they know how, there's always a slight quirk that will either lead to canvas being ripped or something broken.

brainpause, Orchid and shuang2 like this.
  6. seldomseen380

seldomseen380 Active Member

Neither a borrower nor a lender be; / For loan oft loses both itself and friend.” It means do not lend or borrow Anything from a friend, because if you do so, you will lose both your friend and your Thing.

-Shakespeare... Kinda. [8D]

7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

With a very small exception I don't borrow or lend. I've found that it tends to cause hard feelings and end friendships. There are many available RVs for rent through multiple outlets if someone doesn't have one or doesn't want to transport that far.

8. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

I wont even let my son or dad borrow it!! mite sound cold but not everyone will take care of it like I do... And there is a procedure on how to raise the roof and put things away like they are supposed to be.. They are always welcome to go camping with us tho!!

9. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Top 5 things I don't loan out. My wife, my camper, my tools..they are Snap-On so please don't ask to borrow, any power equipment, and last but not least...my truck. I will move anything you need help with though.

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

That was very nice of you to do. It would actually be easier than trying to teach someone how to do it and one way to ensure they didn't break anything. I do understand about wanting to help out a person who helps so many others, and that was a great way to handle it. Glad the trip was canceled, regardless.

I would not WANT to lend my camper to anyone, but would lend it to one of my kids if they asked. All, other than one SIL, are experienced towers. I would send a laminated set up/tear down list step-by-step. :laugh:

It does intrigue me that people would ask to borrow something like a camper. I never borrow anything ... ever. And, even if I did, it would never occur to me to ask to borrow something like a vehicle or a camper.

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

It is like borrowing your bedroom.

12. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

but way more expensive and more things to break.

I had a friend ask if he could rent my hybrid. He probably would take better care of it than me and the money would be nice but it's all the little things that you have to know about a camper that makes me worried. Like the stabilizers are not jacks, fridge needs to be level, don't run the battery to far down, don't over tighten or extend the awning... with a PUP I would worry even more.

13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

[LOL][LOL] That's a creepy way to look at it. But, yeah, kind of is. That's why only my kids can borrow it. They grew inside me, after all. ;)