Has anyone NOT insured their pup?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by campagain, Aug 3, 2017.

1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Repeating something from earlier in the thread: Check with your TV insurance as it most likely covers liability *while towing*.

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

That's got me curious, so I did some reading. From what I read, it works (generally as there are state specific laws) like this:

Your liability covers damage to another's person, vehicle or property if you were at fault for the accident. Comprehensive and collision cover damage to your vehicle, property etc.

So, if you are on the road and your tire blows or something comes off the trailer and damages another vehicle, it would be covered by your tow vehicle's liability insurance. However, it would not cover any damage to your own trailer.

In comparison, if someone else's tire blows and damages your trailer, your tow vehicle insurance will NOT cover it. You can collect from the other person's liability insurance OR you have to have collision and comprehensive on your trailer.

So, having separate insurance on your trailer isn't going to do any good if something comes off your trailer and damages someone else's vehicle or property.

Not trying to sway you or anything, just started wondering about it.

xxxapache likes this.
  3. tfischer

This is correct. Perhaps the policy will give a supplemental, higher liability, but your TVs policy will pay first.

Buying a pup policy will protect against things such as theft, weather damage, etc. If you have a $20K trailer that would be a wise investment. If you have a $1K trailer, I think paying $150 a year is an awful big percentage of that for a relatively small risk, but everyone's financial situation is different.

4. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Active Member

Part of the reason I insured my PUP is because roadside assistance was part of the policy. I wanted roadside assistance so for a little bit more than a stand alone service, I went with Progressive insurance. Never had to use it ::fingers crossed::!

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Okay, my Allstate policy here in FL does cover issues with a PUP or most anything i'm towing, however, now here it comes the R/A provided by Allstate is really limited on the PUP and so I added Good Sam R/A for about $69 yr and that covers just about any situation and possibility to include the issues I had getting the power roof system down over Labor Day weekend when NONE of the local RV Dealers in West Palm Beach would even talk to me about problems with a PUP. They not only sent someone out once but twice because I tried to be proactive and have it fixed but there was more than one issue and the tech had to come out a second time in the pouring rain; oh and the cost of the R/A INCLUDES anything that may happen to my TV before, during or after the trip. I know many people here trash CW and Good Sam but when the chips were down GS came through for me and I won't forget it.

Orchid likes this.
  6. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

I have it on the old Coleman. I believe I pay $56 bucks a year and that includes roadside for the camper. I think that might even be zero deductible on comp, certainly no more than a $100 deductible. For that little it's worth the piece of mind from a liability standpoint. As my insurance company pointed out though, most camper claims are comprehensive from storm damage and mice. Where my camper gets parked both are actually pretty likely. So in my case, $5/mo is worth it even if I only get a check for 1G.

7. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

That makes no sense, have never insured my camper and have lived in nc all 55 years of my life....also have gone years without insurance on boat trailer

xxxapache and tfischer like this.
  8. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Looking at buying a pop up now. According to my agent, and I will be getting this in writing shortly, the liability aspect is covered by the coverage on the tow vehicle. The comprehensive / collision is covered by a separate policy on the trailer itself. So if I am dragging the trailer behind my pickup, and cut a corner too tight and clip a lamp post, if I don't have insurance on the trailer, the lamp post is covered, my trailer isn't...

Considering the age, and cost of the trailers I am looking at, really no big deal...

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Some would have the highest form of the luck of Irish I ever seen. If your popup decides to break away from you... how would you cover the cost of other vehicles?

If a deer that loves Duke decides to jump in front of you, playing the game of chicken with you, you might attempt to swerve around the Duke loving deer but your beloved popup might not cooperate with your swerving skills and the popup rolls over, breaking away from your TV in the process, it knocks down fences, lamppost or etc. Which insurance would cover the damaged fence or lamppost? Auto insurance or trailer insurance?

It takes a true Tarheel to understand about the Duke (Puke) thing...

10. tfischer

When towing, liability coverages still lies with your TV coverage. Insurance companies aren't so literal that they define a breakaway situation as "no longer towing".

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

It IS really nice to hear good things about Good Sam. :smiley: I've considered it before, as it sounded like a really good deal. But all the CW hate kind of turned me away from it.

12. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

The insurance on my truck would cover any damages caused by my camper whether attached or if it becomes unattached. BTW, Tarholes played another great game tonight against the Hurricanes...almost as good as they played against ECU.

Halford likes this.
  13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

hehehehee Tarheels did well against Pitt. I am not expecting anything about UNC football but do for basketball.

14. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

Same here and a 1995 is only worth my $500.00 deductible so If it gets totaled and the axle is still good I can make a new utility trailer LOL.

Stamourowl likes this.
  15. CarlaCB

CarlaCB Member

Mine is a 1999 and I only paid $1200 for it, and I would not have insured it except that I live in a community that doesn't allow rvs of any kind to be parked on our streets, yards or driveways. The community provides an RV storage yard free to residents, but in order to obtain a spot your camper has to be insured. I guess they don't want to be liable if another resident hits your rv or a tree falls on it in the lot. So I insured it for $125/year just to be able to store it here.

chili1962 likes this.
  16. Stamourowl

Stamourowl If it involves dogs and hiking count me in.

Interesting discussion. I have a 97 which got hail damage last summer which parked in the mountains. I never thought to ask if it had collision etc. It isn’t worth much so I just fixed it. :- ) . I also dented my own car with my popup. I am still a pop up driver in progress.

17. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Cost us $30 p.a. to add it to our AAA policy. Heck of a deal. Includes theft of trailer.