has anyone ran across the 10 year or older rule?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jessicaohicks, Apr 25, 2018.

1. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I know there are parks that only let in Airstreams folks visit. One here in MN: http://www.startribune.com/nostalgi...am-only-trailer-park-near-st-cloud/266784321/
    I was mostly the oldest pup in the land at any campgrounds I went to - and wore that badge with pride. Never run into this myself - and a rule like that might just be for seasonal folks. A private camp doesn't want to be stuck with a trailer you towed in to die on their site. And, since you live out of state, makes it real hard to sue you over removal costs... no scrap value for such little steel.
    So I see the point but take offense to it at the same time [:(][{:)]

MrsSquid likes this.
  2. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

There was a big thread about this topic here a year or two back. The consensus was a) it's very rare, and b) you wouldn't want to camp at a place like that anyway, because they are essentially parking lots for Class As.

jmkay1, PointyCamper and Orchid like this.
  3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

That rule is to prevent folks from tying ropes to trees and other things that are not theirs. As you can see in my cover photo I use a tarp for an awning and have had this conversation with a few private camp owners that had no problem with my setup.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Just the kind of place I don't want to be.

NTL1991 likes this.
  5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

In our trip down to FL last winter. When searching for CG's, there was a CG that had on the web site camper: must be 10 years old or newer. I think it was $80+ a night. It did look like it was a country club type campground. I think they cater to the well to do snowbirds.

6. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

I've heard it, seen it once. don't remember where, it was going to be a one night stay on the way somewhere else. also ran into one that wouldn't allow pop ups, it was a private cg. threw me for a loop. it wasn't mentioned in they're rules along with nothing under 24 ft. iwas going to be there for 2 nights. treating it as a hotel room as I had a wedding to go to. that's why I go rustic or bondocking

Lee's Alite likes this.
  7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I've only seen it in listings for RV resorts. Not for public campgrounds, such as USFS, COE, state and national parks, nor most less-than-fancy resort private ones, such as KOAs. (We've camped at someresort level KOAs in our pups, even the 1984 one we renovated.) I was doing research for one of our possible trips this year (we changed plans) and found one resort that not only had an age limit for RVs and TTs, but also a minimum length. Our 17', 2015 TT did not qualify. (It is the type of campground we usually avoid, but might have considered it for an overnight stop to get full hookups and a chance to do a leisurely waste tank dump during a longer trip.)

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

The only time that keeping out the riffraff is bad is when you are the riffraff.

9. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Hey, I resemble that remark! [:)C]

Fbird, BelchFire and 1380ken like this.
  10. NTL1991

NTL1991 Active Member

I agree with most here; I wouldn't want to camp at a place like that anyway. I purposely camp where big Fifth Wheel's and Class A's can't go...

And that's why we pretty much exclusively camp at campgrounds in this book. Most are state parks. 75% of the other campers are in tents. Almost never any hookups. And that's how we like it.

Bowman3d likes this.
  11. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

There are a couple of seasonal campgrounds and campgrounds with deeded lots in our area. Just looking at the RVs and the associated sites advertised on Craigslist, I can see why a campground would consider such a rule. Essentially, the owners did nothing to maintain their units and left them for someone else to clean up.

xxxapache likes this.
  12. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

When I live in NY a friend own the campground down the street. People use to rent site all yr. every once in a while they would stop paying and leave the trailer. So he put liens on them then cleaned them up and would rent them out. He had two that he wanted out so he said I could have them if I could haul them out. I gutted them made one a chicken coop, used the other for feed storage and cleaning the chickens after slaughter.

J Starsky likes this.
  13. davido

davido Well-Known Member

In 2003 when I was in search of a marina in southern California in which to keep my sailboat I was asked to send a recent photo of the boat at one marina. I did, and was accepted, but ultimately chose a different marina that had a more friendly, less exclusive vibe.

The RV parks that want ten years old or newer, and do not want anything to detract from the pristine appearance their seasonal or permanent residents expect are probably not the places that you would feel comfortable camping anyway. Move on, there are more friendly places, and that's where you probably would prefer spending your precious time off.

It goes both ways -- if they exclude you over the age of your RV, you have learned everything you need to know about the place.

14. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit Active Member

Someone could have a 20 year old camper in better shape than a 5 - 8 year old camper! That's just wrong. If that's the rule, I doubt you would want to be there anyway.

15. tfischer

As an aside, how would they enforce such a thing anyway? Are they going to look up the serial number? What if I claimed my 2005 was really a 2008? Obviously if you had a 30 year old camper it's going to be obvious, but...

16. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I get the intent of the rule and can picture the kind of camper these places intend to keep out. I doubt if anyone in a well maintained rig is gonna be turned away based on trailer age.

17. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

I thought of you when I was typing that post. I think both rules are being used to allow cg's to keep the "up-scale" vibe so they can charge higher rates and cater to the "upper class"
    Not places I want to camp.

18. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

You are right about the 10 year thing without a doubt. The High Class places aren't meant for normal people anyway's. It would be nice if we could keep them out of our CG's but we dont discriminate like them.

PointyCamper and BelchFire like this.
  19. tfischer

I don't think many of them come to our campgrounds anyway. At least not the ones I go to.

BelchFire likes this.
  20. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

I wonder what happened to the OP?