Has anyone tried replacing stabilizing jacks with leveling jacks?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by cindy_k, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Ed Llorca

Ed Llorca Member

2. RonDad

RonDad Active Member

Doesn’t seem to carry the same structural risk as level via the frame’s corners. But I couldn’t make the recommendation with as many other options as have been listed- ones that don’t require you to get down underneath to get the jacks on safe lift points.

Two of these other options you drive onto. Who’s doing the work?…the tow vehicle.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yea, rhey also say not to jack by the axel, could be a reason for that or not. Also , you have to consider how low your system will be. Im sure there is a way to do it. But i for one wouldn't want to be the test subject and 2 would fint it easier to use blocks. But if you have the time know how and money, go for it. Let us know how it turns out.

RonDad likes this.
  4. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Well-Known Member

I agree the Andersons are the easiest and best way to level. I would not
    use anything else. There is no stacking blocks guessing how many you need. Roll up on it till level kick the chock under and done. Simple

theseus and DiamondGirl like this.
  5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Leveling side to side using any other method than leveling from the tires is a bad idea. My manufacturer (Flagstaff) even cautions on placing jacks on the axle for any extended period of time other than performing maintenance or changing a flat tire. Leveling jacks on the axel would fall under the same category. Some manufacturers do not recommend using the axel at all to lift and have special plates or reinforced bars to use when lifting a camper.

Besides, the OP was talking about replacing their stabilization jacks with leveling jacks. Your project is completely different, but none the less, not recommended by most manufacturers if not all.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  6. cindy_k

cindy_k Member

Thank you everyone!
    We are going to look at getting one of those BAL Tire levelers instead.

This board is great for all the information.

BikeNFish likes this.
  7. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

The frame will twist, the sky will fall.

8. Cydnew

Cydnew New Member

The sky might not fall, but your walls might detach from your cabinets, your door won't fit correctly, and your pop up itself will start to feel like it will fall apart as it becomes less stable.

Signs indicate that the previous owners did this to ours, and I'm still fixing things. It's fixable, but annoying.

9. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I had to order from some random rvpartscountry.com as apparently nobody has bal levelers in stock.

I ordered the camco ones and while sturdy, is not my favorite.

I've watched the bal levers in videos , and safe to say it offers the ability to drop the trailer where you want and worry about leveling later. With every other option, leveling is something you must do first. While it can be a 1 person job, unless you know when your level, there is a lot of getting in and out until you get it right.

10. Tait

Tait Active Member

I use the BAL leveler, and I'm very happy with it. Going to add the PVC cover for the greasy screw per previous comment in this thread...