Has anything been stolen from your popup?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by redfragglerocker, Mar 19, 2010.

1. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

Rainier, where were you camping at Rushmore?

That's terrible!!

2. jenoble99

jenoble99 New Member

My wife insists I lock the camper door when we leave the campsite. I just can't convince her of this. The only thing really expensive is the camera and sometimes the video camera, these are either with us, or locked up in the TV. Everything else could be replaced fairly cheap. We've never had anything stolen. Not something I generally worry to much about.

3. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

Only by squirrels, raccoons, wild ponys and chipmunks. That is in 54 years of camping. We did have someone do a little 'borrowing' though.

We were camping at Codorus State Park in PA. They have several boat ramps on the lake. DW went ahead of me and set up camp with some of the kids, while I worked. She had our canoe, which I told her to drop off at the ramp at the campground, before setting up, and lock it to a tree.

I get there after work and go to drop another canoe [we are a family of 8] that we rented, off at the ramp before heading to the site. My canoe isn't at the ramp! I go to the site and discuss it with DW and find out she dropped it at another ramp.

Next morning, I get up early to take a solo paddle, planning on using our canoe and then loading it onto the car to transfer it to the campground boat ramp. I look to the right. No canoe. I look to the left. No canoe. I look out about 100 yds and there are two guys paddling a canoe that looks a lot like mine in circles! Turns out that when they launched their runabout no one was holding any mooring lines and the boat quickly blew across the lake.

Their plan was to cut the lock on my canoe and paddle out to their boat, then tow the canoe back to shore. Only thing was they didn't have any experience paddling. I talked them back to the dock, and then I paddled them out to their boat. They paid me for the lock and all was well. Besides I got a good story to carry to old age.

Haybale and Redbird934 like this.
  4. sd102

sd102 New Member

This past July we were camping at a MI SP and we had our beer stolen out of our cooler in the middle of the night [:O] I didn't realize it until the next evening when I went to get a beer and there weren't any in the cooler. Then I remembered seeing the cooler not shut all the way that morning (you have to push it down all the way to completely shut it). I did have the empty beer box sitting right next to the cooler, so I guess that probably wasn't very smart of me, but it never occured to me that anyone would take it. I'm assuming it was teenagers maybe?? The creepy part is that the cooler was right outside the pup, RIGHT next to where I was sleeping.

Fortunately, that's the worst theft we've ever had. We just kind of laughed it off, we didn't report it or anything.

5. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

I've had a similar experience with beer being gone from my cooler in michigan!!

Only, the accompanying headache and grogginess made me realize the conclusion was I'd drank it!!

(I swear honey, I only had 2!)

Haybale likes this.
  6. sd102

sd102 New Member

Haha! I actually went through my can bag and counted the empties just to make sure I didn't drink more than I remembered, or DH had some, but there were only 4 empty beer cans.

7. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

Be glad they used the potty. Had it been kids you would have had a real mess to deal with. Im glad they did not steal your stuff.

8. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

Haven't had anything come up missing, yet, that I am aware of... If it is gone, I haven't missed it and therefore didn't need it.

9. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

Not from the camper, has anything been taken. But last year, the people who slipped in to the site next to us came into our screen tent and took our park provided picnic table. We notified the park and they really didn't do anything about it but get us another one. They gave a lame answer that the couldn't do anything because they didn't see them take it. We knew it was the one on our site because when they took it, they kept the table cloth. I went and retrieved it. Due to that incident, we decided to pass on that park this year.

10. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Hey you posted that in the wrong post, this is about stolen items. Yikes is an understatement [LOL]

11. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Once camping with my folks at Trowbridge Falls Park in Thunder Bay, Ont. we had our cooler stolen in the middle of the night. We did not know it but there are vast trail networks from the city into the park... city folk came out and hauled the cooler off... they took the beer and left the cooler a 100 ft away with all our food in it... of course we never leave coolers out anymore...

As for locking the PUP... we do just to make it slightly harder to get in... if someone has to pull the canvas off and reach in to unlock the door they might be seen by another camper and think twice about it. As for the locks on the cargo hold, a service tech told me at the dealership we purchased ours from that all the keys for those are the same... so anyone can use their key to open your cargo box... now I don't know if that crosses brand names or is just specific to Palomino. So you are best to lock valuables up in the TV.

12. bondebond

bondebond New Member

One nice thing about the configuration of my highwall is that the travel door is not detachable and can be closed back across the doorway and locked with the real keyed lock even while the screen door is in place. Now anyone who owns that particular keyed latch can unlock it but otherwise, there's no reaching inside just to pop the little lock on the screen door. They'd have to do some serious work to get up and into ours.

The photo below shows the travel door in the open position between the doorway and the open cargo hold. I just swing it back over the doorway and engage the locking latch, the kind you rotate then push in to lock. I still have no illusions of safety though. A box cutter and a step stool would be all that's needed.

[​IMG]

13. johnsagraves

johnsagraves New Member

Stole the bacon in our cooler that was left outside. Pesky Racoons. I'll call Si from Duck Dynasty to get then suckers Jack!!!

14. bigbluetraverse

bigbluetraverse New Member

We lock the expensive stuff up. I re-enforce one of the cabinets usually. The put good locks on it.

Yes if they want in they can get in but would have to make allot of noise.

We never had anything stolen but at one quit little campground out in Fullerton Ontario the camper was lowered and all of the bunk end straps were popped.

So someone went in and checked it but noting to take. We were at a Wedding during the day.

I figured it was Kkds from the camp ground most likely the seasonal's.

We weren't leaving after that day so no more issues.

Sad part is they must do it often they knew to take the tension off the canvas.

Had the crank in the car so they either brought their own but that was a StarCraft the crank had a lock lever on the

ratchet so just popping would have brought it down to the safety bars.

Yes go to the NASCAR race and forget and expensive electronic device right out by the lane way and is it's still there the next day? Yes not only there but picked up and moved to the table right by the door of the camper.

Nothing like NASCAR fans..

15. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

No an I usually leave my stuff out except my chain saw. I also chain up my genarator or I will put them in the pup if I am going to be gone from the site for a while like out on my boat or something. I have even left my boat out down by the water out of site and never had anyone thank anything from it either. I think in all reality 99% of campers are not thieves however doesnt mean that the 1% wont take something. Or someone just driving thru the campground.

16. campingprincess

campingprincess New Member

We have had some of our kids toys stolen from the campground while we were gone for 10 mins to the campground store!!! [:(!]

17. hakrjak

hakrjak Member

Nothing stolen personally, but we have been camping a couple times when others at the site have been hit and the camp host warned us. You never know when you see a car driving through slow if they are looking for a site or something to steal. For this reason I try to keep my solar panel out of view from the main road and tuck away my most expensive gear from prying eyes (ie stainless coleman cooler, stainless coleman water jug, etc)

18. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

Not yet I hope it never happens. That would certainly but a damper on things [:(].

19. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

Never had anything stolen as of yet, that being said we really do not keep anything in the [PU] worth stealing when we leave it. We keep most stuff except food, a couple of lights, and utensils ect in the TV when we leave it.

20. Dragonfli032

Dragonfli032 Member

How do most of you secure you generators?