Has your state tentatively posted when parks will open back up?

BBQdave

Aug 31, 2016
North Carolina
I need to delve more deeply into the reports of the governor's news conference to see what all has been announced for current future openings.
Friday has become the Doom Announcements. NC Governor Cooper uses Friday to announce lock down extensions. He adds a week of lock down every Friday.

People are out and about living their lives. Seen quite a few boats being pulled to "closed" Jordan Lake. Lots of folks now gathering at parks and trails, hanging out.

In response to the recent lock down extension, our Mayor added his own proclamation: he mobilized the town police to arrest and jail folks for 60 days if they don't obey the governor. So far the police are not doing that. They're neighbors just like the rest of us, trying to live.

The mayor was not elected, he was given the job because no one else wanted it, ha ha :)

Happy to see folks out. Good to see people in the prohibited "King's" forest, living and pursuing life.

And it's also good to see folks taking care of the parks and community space, in the absence of government :)

HappyTraveler

Apr 30, 2019
New York
So, NY is still in Pause mode.
However, you would not notice for all the people out and about on the roads and parks.
Personally, I don't have a problem with it, if you're worried about getting sick or getting a loved one at home sick, stay home. People should be able to make their own decisions.
Most of the people I saw were social distancing and in small groups of 2 or 3 people. Mask were in view either over nose and mouth or around neck ready for when needed.
We picked up some take-out and drove up to Lake Ontario to eat. Sat in our car looking at the lake. There were about 5 to 7 other cars doing the exact same thing. Not to mention all the people that were out walking around in the park.

bheff

Super Active Member
Feb 24, 2011
NW Arkansas
Just booked two nights starting tomorrow. Arkansas is letting in state and fully self contained units camp. Just dropped the trailer at the tire shop getting new tires put on.
The kids are crazy excited (and dad too) to finally be able to camp.

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
Va. Gov mentioned campgrounds in a conference today, sounded like some stuff may be opening by May 15th, hope the state parks/private camps are included, that'll salvage our reservations for the week after Memorial Day...

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
Some of the private CG in WV opened May first [suv&pu]

Might make it out this weekend, only 45 minutes from home, but still camping.

Any word on WV National Forests allowing dispersed? Been wanting to visit Monongahela for awhile now.

Pa opens state parks for camping on May 15th, awaiting to hear from a friend who is a Ranger in a Pa NF whether our National Forests are also opening.

Arlyn Aronson

Super Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Houghton, MI
i was under the impression that NF dispersed never closed. I looked it up a week or two ago and didnt find anything saying they were closed.

The Ottawa NF said no camping, period. I believe the Hiawatha is the same. Seems they are afraid that someone will start a forest fire. I'll try to find the email we were sent concerning this. [:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!] We might try sneak out there anyway..... Oh wait, we don't have our camper out of storage yet!

lepetsos

Jan 4, 2017
Lafayette, CO
Colorado seems to be extending closures 1 week at a time for state parks. As of 5/5, all reservations through 5/11 automatically cancelled. All bets are off for Memorial Day, I'm done trying to guess. Larimer County campgrounds have been opened for several weeks with restrictions, the state would do well to consult them regarding safely opening.

WVhillbilly

Super Active Member
Jun 6, 2018
WV
Any word on WV National Forests allowing dispersed? Been wanting to visit Monongahela for awhile now.

Pa opens state parks for camping on May 15th, awaiting to hear from a friend who is a Ranger in a Pa NF whether our National Forests are also opening.
I've not heard of dispersed camping ever being closed.
They closed the state campgrounds, and the private campgrounds to non residents.
Private CG open to non residents May 11th.
Many private cabin rentals opened May 1st as well.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
PA is opening State Park Campgrounds in 24 counties May 15. That is the counties that move from red to yellow status in Herr Hitlers phased plan, all in the Northwest / North Central Part of the state. In the remaining 43 counties all bets are off. Currently reservations with arrivals up to and including Thursday 5-21 are being automatically canceled and refunded in full. If you had a reservation from say 5-17 through 5-27 that entire reservation is canceled, not just the nights from the 17th to 21st. Those remaining counties state park campgrounds will supposedly open based on Untergruppenfuhrer Tom Wolfs confusing and senseless phasing plan of which no time frames or dates exist. I highly doubt Hermann Goering is going to permit those campgrounds to open for Memorial Day weekend which is typically the busiest weekend of the season, but since that would make no sense at all and he allowed private campgrounds to open 5-1, maybe he will.

Some other things of note;
Playgrounds and Nature play areas will remain closed "indefinitely".
Group Camping areas will remain closed "indefinitely".
Interpretive centers and Amphitheaters will remain closed "indefinitely".
Cabins will not open until June 12 and only then if the area has moved to the yellow phase.
Swimming beaches will be closed "at least" until June 6. Take "at least" as you wish. (I read that as at least the entire summer).
DCNR is still in discussions with the Pennsylvania Department of Health to determine swimming pool openings, and what the recommended guidance will be for use of pools. (I would bet see you next year maybe).

Importantly, the Obergruppenfuhrer leaves you this piece of handy advice........
"Avoid activities that put you at greater risk of injury, so you don’t require a trip to the emergency room"

Welcome to the Reich. Here is a link to Mein Kampf

Last edited:

Arlyn Aronson

Super Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Houghton, MI
This is not flu. It kills, in fact they found many healthy people going down with it. This novel virus is not well understood, yet the most contagious ever seen. Reinfections is happening as well. I hope to not test it.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
This is not flu. It kills, in fact they found many healthy people going down with it. This novel virus is not well understood, yet the most contagious ever seen. Reinfections is happening as well. I hope to not test it.

I do not think anyone is saying its the "flu". At the same time the numbers also do not confirm it as Bubonic plague or Ebola and the ultimate number of true deaths will be way below the numbers predicted. Is that a good reason to kill an entire nation's economy because what if there is a 2nd wave in the fall, or our good friends in China send us another one? Do we go down this same screwed up road. Better hope not as we will not survive it economically. It remains to be seen if we will survive this experiment in big brother control of the general population. Take note, the ones making the rules have not missed a payday nor stood in a line for an hour at Home Depot to buy a light bulb.

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
i was under the impression that NF dispersed never closed. I looked it up a week or two ago and didnt find anything saying they were closed.

I've not heard of dispersed camping ever being closed.
They closed the state campgrounds, and the private campgrounds to non residents.
Private CG open to non residents May 11th.
Many private cabin rentals opened May 1st as well.

OK, i was under the impression it was closed, guess i misread. Thanks..

eoleson1

Super Active Member
Jul 5, 2011
Macomb County Michigan
OK, i was under the impression it was closed, guess i misread. Thanks..
Check before you go. I just looked up a few national forests in Michigan and found that two, Hiawatha and Ottawa are closed to camping as Arlyn said earlier, but Huron-Manistee doesn't have anything on the website about camping being prohibited.

bupkis

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
Texas SP open may 18th for existing reservations only, but to prevent overcrowding, manage continued social distancing and safeguard public health, no new reservations can be made for now.