Hauling water

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Dingit, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Well, since what you wrote was confusing and didn't make sense without your now added "over his calculation", then I suggest you get off your high horse and just admit your comment wasn't clearly worded instead of being an arrogant jerk.

Indiobravo likes this.
  2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@Toedtoes - We camp a lot here in the arid west, and there are some campgrounds that have to haul all their water in. They state on campground info that RVers are to fill their tanks before arriving.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Back on the ignore list for you

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

We have some like that too and there are still the folks who think it's OK to fill up their RV - they just don't care. Meanwhile I can't do laundry because my water is restricted.

5. Matt D Wilder

Matt D Wilder New Member

I solved my water hauling problems using just plain heavy duty 5 gallons jugs with valves. The big change I made was I do not fill anything at home. I google up the closest water source to my camp site and I fill there. No longer do I haul 20 in the pup and 40 in the TV 130 miles. Maybe 25 miles 30 miles. I do keep drinking water separate from camp water. 5 gallons is a manageable size for me.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I really don't know where I would fill up. I suppose I could ask at a gas station? What sort of places do you fill up, Matt? I just don't know where to start looking.

When it comes down to it, I shouldn't tow with any water in the popup. It's pushing the axle capacity already so I should put all the water in the truck and fill the tank from the truck when I get there. I doubt that TV fuel economy would be noticeably affected with a hundred gallons but I'm sure ride quality would improve.

7. Matt D Wilder

Matt D Wilder New Member

I use the google to look for water sometimes it is a public faucet or a water and ice store. There is a small bait shop/ general store I asked to use the hose and tipped a few bucks.

Dingit likes this.
  8. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

I know your posted question was how to haul the water, but I am really curious why so much (Not to argue, just curious). Prior to our popup, most of our trips where backwoods where most trailers could not reach. So for a family of 3, we would pack everything in to the Jeep for a week long boondocking trip. Space was limited, so we only took 10 gallons of water. Now we're older and spoiled with our TT.

Here is a picture of us loaded for a 4 day trip, getting ready to head up the mountain.
    2006-07_camping-001.jpeg

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You never tipped over in that did you? Lol.

10. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Nope, never rolled it, the large black bag is actually pretty light, heavy stuff was inside.

Here is what I use to do:)

2006-08-sierratrek-017.jpeg

2006-08-sierratrek-024.jpeg

akriot likes this.
  11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Why do I want water? Does it matter?

I think that there are regional differences at play when one decides how important it is to carry water. At a basic level, it is simply unsafe to go into the back country without water in much of the west. You can't boil water that isn't there. But I want more than survival water. I want glamping water.

My popup trailer is not for roughing it. It's for luxury base camping. I want to be able to relax and not watch every drop of water. Maybe even use the shower. I'm old and sometimes I want to be comfortable!

I can rough it and will for the right spot that you can't get a trailer to. Just got back from such a trip. It's okay for a few days but I'm a little sore today :p.

akriot and Natureangel like this.
  12. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Cool. I actually don't rough it much any more, my back hurts enough as is (sucks getting old), which is one reason we have a TT now and most stay where there are full hooks ups. Every now and again I'll head out and tent camp with my boys, but I pay for it too. Thanks for the reply. I would look into getting a tank for the truck bed and fill the popup when needed.

akriot likes this.
  13. akriot

akriot Active Member

Ours too.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  14. akriot

akriot Active Member

Reminds me of home...Dad was career Navy. I am familiar with the drill.[{:)]

DiamondGirl likes this.
  15. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

A sponge bath followed by hair washing in a dishpan at the outside shower is okay! But actual (albeit navy) showers inside would just make me happy. :)

I think I will do a truck bed gray tank as well. Might as well go all the way!

DiamondGirl likes this.
  16. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

I roughed it with scouts for 10+ years. Sometimes sleeping on the ground under a lean to shelter made from tarp. Using a small shovel for facilities on the trail or dispersed camping. Rinsing in the creek if there was one.

Now I camp with as much amenities as possible.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

akriot likes this.
  17. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I don't blame you! I'm done being tough. Now I just want all the nice comfy things in the middle of nowhere. :)

DiamondGirl and akriot like this.