Have a hybrid but....

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Grizzly_Wayne, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

So we bought a hybrid (Jayco 19xud) last year and love it. We made 20 nights last year (between purchasing in March and October). However, thinking of going dark. As a kid, we started with a Stracraft pup (1975 Galaxy 8) and upgraded to a TT. I like most aspects of the hybrid, but after a few rain storms, I am starting to drift. Having to set up the bunks to dry when I get home, trying to make the rear bunk... looking at trading to a small bunkhouse (the 6 year old really wants bunks). Anyone sorry they upgraded?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

No experience, but I suggest to really sit in one with your whole family and longer than just a few minutes. The one big thing for me when I was looking to upgrade was how much room a bed takes inside the TT. My parents have a 25' TT and it is just so closed in. They don't have a slide so it's worse. I also was looking for a bunk house unit at one time, but for what I wanted, I needed more tow vehicle than what I have. I didn't want to make the dinnette into a bed which meant I needed a larger unit. AKA more tow vehicle and more money. Ultimately I changed my mind all together and decided to stick with a popup. For me, that was more cost effective.

Raycfe and shuang2 like this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We skipped the HTT phase and went straight to the TT more then 5 years ago and love it, I too was tired of having to pack up in the rain and open up again for things to dry.. Also wanted to extend our season. We have no regrets, loved our popup but certainly don't miss it..

kcsa75, Ductape and kitphantom like this.
  4. cyndib

cyndib Member

We loved our popup, but I have to say the TT is wonderful. We sure don't miss setting up/taking down in the rain and we have also extended our season. We actually camped every month this winter and we live in Missouri. So to answer your question, no we're not sorry at all.

kcsa75 and Ductape like this.
  5. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

I think we would go with a TT too, but for the sleeping space our 3 bunk HTT gives us, we would have to go to a bigger TT. It would not fit next to the house and I would have to store it offsite. I say go for what makes you happy and what works for you.

6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I went dark last spring... never had the HTT but did consider one. I spent a lot of time thinking about what I really wanted in a camper: One full time Queen sized bed and a place to sit/ eat/ relax in the (likely) event of inclement weather. For the same reason, a large awning. If there was a bathroom/ shower, it needed to be large enough to be useable to ME. I wanted to stay in the 18-21' range. I found what I feel is perfect for me & my pooch sidekick: the Solaire 202RB. Huge bathroom, real bed, big fridge and stove and a dinette that I fit at! No slides, just a nice, clean, "simple" package. Also ample tank sizes (something I quickly learned to appreciate).

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I had a hybrid about 10 years ago, but I did not keep it very long due to leaks
    and still setting up and taking down in inclement weather, went back to a PUP, but after my first back operation we went dark and never looked back we love it, set up or take down is minimal. However you and the family will have to make the decision among yourselves. You will need to weight the pros and cons.
    Good luck with the decision and happy Camping

8. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Maybe you could rent a travel trailer similar to the floorplan you are considering buying? We did that last summer when we were debating what to upgrade to and it really helped us see what that option would be like for us.

We knew our 10-foot box PUP was too small for the 5 of us. We were thinking of a larger PUP, hybrid, maybe TT. We rented a 28 foot TT with a slide for a few nights. We learned that it was a pain to park and level (we unknowingly booked a terribly hilly site), that it felt the same size inside as a large PUP, that having a bathroom was pretty awesome, and emptying the tanks was really not a big deal. Basically, for us, it offered only a few more amenities than a large PUP, but would require us to get a new TV. So we decided to go for the large PUP and ended up with a HW that we love so far!

9. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

This is what makes a HTT so appealing. 3 huge queen beds, a slide, sofa, decent kitchen, all under 25ft. TT with the same amount of space are 30 or more ft.

10. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

We've had tent trailers, HTT, Aliner, and now a TT. Loved them all for what they were. The HTT brought the outside in like a pup, and that was nice, especially in nice weather while in a quiet area with a nice view. However, that does not happen all the time. Setup was still somewhat of a pain and having to dry the bunks was still a pain.

At this point in our lives all-season portability is what we value the most, so the TT is definitely what works best for us now. There is no 'off season' for us. Once or twice during the winter we pull the TT out and head south to warmer temps, camping comfortably in freezing temps on the way.

11. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. The family talked long and hard before we bought the hybrid. I had to talk the wife into getting a popup, she loved tent camping so much. But we skipped that and went straight to the hybrid, now she wants a TT. I have created a monster! lol. We mainly would like easier set up and take down, an actual bed we can leave made, and a usable dining area. Our table is terrible. Too small to sit around.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

When we had to move on from the Coleman Cobalt pup, due to my back and joint issues, I did look at HTTs, along with A-frames and small TTs. We ended up with the 17' Retro, because it worked best for us - bed that stays made up, no bunks or roof for me to move into camp configuration by myself when solo. There are only two of us, so the sleeping space is good. I'll take a friend on a trip for the first time later this year, so we'll see how it works with the dinette converted to bed, but it'll still be just the two of us in the trailer. (I need to come up with a space to tote the food boxes we'll need - maybe revert to having those in the TV - since we'll need the dinette space for bed and her duffels.)
    I admit to sitting in the Cobalt and crying on our last trip with it, when we realized I could no longer reliably handle it solo. I got over many of my feelings of regret at giving it up on the first night with the TT, after a much-too-long solo travel day, when I found I didn't have to unhitch, only needed to stabilize, connect to power, and I was done for an overnight stop. While I still miss it on nice days, that's balanced by having a longer season, and a few more amenities for my creaky self.

Redbird234 likes this.
  13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

.This is a common problem in all Trailers. My parents 25' TT table is extremely narrow and short. My 10 yo niece could no longer sleep on the dinnette table as it was too short for her. It could sit two adults on either end and maybe a child. Then again because it had no slideout they really had to keep it narrow so people can get around inside. A unit with a slideout might have one a little bigger but I strongly suggest to all sit at the table if that's one of your pet puev

14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Your all tempting me........

15. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Unless you want a Murphy bed, you are probably looking at 28 ft or longer.

16. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

Kind of the conclusion I am drawing...
    We went camping this weekend. Originally the forecast was 80% chance of rain. We said, meh, lets go anyway. It sprinkled 5 minutes about 2am Saturday night and that was it. Sunday morning, I kept a look out on radar. Got the bunks all put away and 5 minutes later it started raining. Just think it would be nice to not worry about wet bunks anymore.

neighbormike likes this.
  17. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I haven't made the move yet - still have my pup. However, we have discussed as a family and found what may be the ideal floorplan for us. Right now only my son and I use the pup, even though I have a larger one. My wife does not like all the work that goes into set up and tear down, and given our limited availability for time off it makes it difficult to dedicate extra days for prep. We also both agree that climbing over the other for a pee break in the middle of the night is no bueno for us. A HTT would still have the same issue, unless we went to a 3 bunk model so all of us had their own bed, which seems sort of dumb to me. However, a big TT would be too large to store at the house - I am limited to about 27' max before I start impeding in the alley.

We found a murphy HTT - Forest River 23BDS. Rear pop out bunk, dinette slide, and front murphy. It will give us a walk around queen, and for those trips when it is just the two of us there would be no need to drop the rear bunk, and we still get a wide open living area. We are both fine with a murphy since it gives us another couch to sit at during the day. IF the weather looks bad and it is 3 of us we can set the dinette into a bed for our son as well.

One of the issues is he is tall - 6'1" at 15 now, and he outgrew all the smaller bed sizes in trailers a long time ago. Had we gotten a bunkhouse it would have been a waste of money, as he would have gotten too tall. The U-dinette gives us a nice long secondary bed if needed.

Really hoping that next year we can upgrade. WE all have plans to use it together, which we don't currently with the pup.

18. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I had a choice of either a Jayco Hybrid or the hard sided X213 with the rear slide out king bed when we were at the RV show in 2012. We went hard sided and am glad we did. We don’t experience the huge condensation issues that we had when we had our tent trailer. Trailer is a good size even with our three Grandkids.

19. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

The first time we camped as a family we borrowed a pup from my uncle. We had a 4 yr old and a 9 mth old. It was September in Iowa and the forecast looked great so we didn’t bother asking him how to run the furnace or if it even had propane since we had our own camp stove anyway. Needless to say, it got below freezing that night and none of us slept.
    When it came time to buy a camper we immediately went to a TT thanks to that freezing night in the pup. We had our TT for one year. I hated it. I felt enclosed and did not feel like we were camping. We have since bought our own pup.
    I think it all depends on what type of camping you like to do, and when. Our kids are still young and in school so we only camp in the summer. At this point, I’m not willing to give up that tent feel for a longer camping season. Plus, our new pup has heated mattresses

20. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

You mentioned Bunk and i can tell you. kids love bunk beds in a camper. there friends love it too.
    After a few years of camping, sadly i accept at night time i want to get my ac or heat on and be comfortable. so goes for my kids and even the dog.

We do camp alot more than when we had the pup and we travel further and during travel never worry about getting to a campsite late as we sometime get pull through and never unhitch. Just power up and climb into bed.