Have anyone tried to install their own Internet antenna?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by stacey short, Jan 24, 2019.

1. stacey short

stacey short Member

I was wondering has anyone tried to install internet antenna so you can always have wifi? I have a Jayco deluxe series 1006 1990 pup where will be an easy good place to put my TV. I notice some bold people have a TV hanging from there ceiling and some people have it mounted to the side of the wall of the pup. I don't have a clue of how some people are just so creative when it comes down to certain things.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Never heard of an internet antenna.

I have stayed in large campgrounds with wifi that covered the whole place.

For campgrounds without wifi, I use my phone as a hotspot provided I have cell coverage.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    stacey short likes this.
  3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Yes it would be possible to use a Hughes Net Dish, (internet antenna) I see Dish and Direct dish's regularly. It would have to be on a tripod so it could be moved for alignment

stacey short likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Most of the places I usually stay, have no WiFi so like someone else said I just use my phone as a hotspot assuming I have at very least a cell signal. Then again I don’t always have that where I stay either. However the one campground that had WiFi in my experience you aren’t going to be able to stream much as there are too many people using it. As for where to put your TV...not sure about your particular camper, but my old 1990 Jayco 1006 had cabinets on one wall and the dinette on the other. I put the dinette table down and made a daybed with pillows and cushions along the back and put a laptop(to act as my TV) on the counters. Most of the time now I just watch movies preloaded on our devises or sometimes DVDs to play in the laptop. Then again tv or movies is only played at night just before bed. I try to keep us busy during the day.

stacey short likes this.
  5. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I doubt the bandwidth you could get from a free WiFi source at a campground would be sufficient for streaming video. As others have said using your phone as a hotspot or purchasing a standalone hotspot from your wireless carrier would be the best functioning and most simple solution. You might also be surprised how many OTA TV stations you can pick up with a cheap $20 antenna that can just sit next to the TV.

stacey short likes this.
  6. stacey short

stacey short Member

We try to stay busy as well, but at night some movies or cartoons. My son is 12yrs old and music and games on the phone. My husband is the same way. I do know some campgrounds has cable. At home we have philo, Netflix, hulu and firestick. I have a small projection that my son enjoy watching inside of our tent. This time I will probably do it outside, I'm not sure yet

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I also use my phone as a hot spot to stream TV in the evening. I think you may want to check the price on satellite service for internet. The service starts at about $60 a month. My brother in law has it in upstate NY and the package he has is pricey. Funny thing is, it's slower than crap! But faster than dial-up!!!

stacey short likes this.
  8. stacey short

stacey short Member

Well I don't do pricey. DVDs and red box here we come

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

As others have said, the free wi-fi in most campgrounds isn't sufficient to stream. Many prohibit it, and some have the ability to cut off your access if you try. The systems just aren't large enough for the demand. In some places, the only time I've been able to even use it for email is very early in the morning.
    We've never had a TV in our popups or TT. Most of the time, we don't have power anyway. (I get lots of reading done while we're camping.) There also would have been no place in either of our pups to tote a TV or use it.
    We are actually putting a TV in our TT this year, partly because we have an extra one in the house (long story). Especially on some of my solo trips, when I have power, some mindless video would be a break on my eyes from reading. Even in the TT, we're finding it interesting to find a place to install a wall mount. The Retro supposedly has a plate for it, but we didn't pay attention to the location, since we didn't think we'd ever use it. We'll be using a Bluray player. The TV and player will be left at home if we won't be having power.

stacey short likes this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

If you need movies while you camp, there are lots better options than streaming. Our Dish Anywhere has a remote hotspot that you can download movies and shows into from your home DVR (while you're at home) and then it becomes its own hotspot and needs no further network connectivity (I've even used it on an airplane). There's always old-school blu-rays and DVDs. And services like iTunes let you download content onto a phone or iPad, which can then be hooked to a larger screen with the right cable.

stacey short likes this.
  11. stacey short

stacey short Member

Ok great idea

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Had a fellow camp neighbor who managed to use a projector on the backside of his TT. All his kids friends at camp came over for a movie night. Popcorn was being passed around and everyone had a good time. I didn't mind because everyone was quiet to watch the movie and the sound reasonable. I say go for it, a good memory for all. Just watch out for any possible sugar rushes and excitement just before bed. ;) . My 15 yo niece would probably joining if we were to bump into you. :smiley:

stacey short likes this.
  13. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I do cheap, also.

We bought about 100 DVD's at 3 for 2 bucks and have a mini library in the TT. If we can't get cell service, TV over the air, and are very far from a Red Box, we still have rainy day/late night entertainment.

stacey short likes this.
  14. stacey short

stacey short Member

Come on over, love company

15. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I do a hotspot on my phone when needed . Otherwise it is downloaded movies or physical discs. I am toying with putting a repeater in mine this year, but that is solely to extend the phone hotspot signal.

I take a 24" TV with me and a player, either a Blu-ray or a PlayStation. We like to play games together in the evening or watch a movie after dinner. This year I am adding a portable projector to use inside or out. First try under a canopy at winter camp with scouts as my guinea pigs went smashingly well. Looking forward to rigging up a screen for bunk viewing!

stacey short likes this.
  16. generok

generok Well-Known Member

As far as where to put the TV, I'd recommend something in the 19" range with the stand. Store it somewhere, perhaps in a small tote on the floor when in transit, and when popped up, place it on any convenient horizontal surface (table, counter, bunkend) and watch. It's small and cheap enough to get one and not mount it permanently. For this very reason, we purposed an old laptop for watching in the PUP. It played DVDs and Blu-Rays, and if I could get cell service, I could hotspot internet for streaming and email and all that. If the WiFi at the CG worked (which is rare) I could connect with the laptop too. It was small, and easy to store. I never found a laptop that had great sound though, so we had some external speakers we used so we could hear it better.

If you buy a smart TV, you can also stream from your phone and play through the TV, which is nice. We do that with downloaded movies in the TT and just use the TV to play them.

Honestly though, a cheap DVD player is reliable. The player in our TT is DVD only, so we also get bargain movies on DVD (NOT Blu-Ray) and watch them.

As far as an internet antenna, you have the right idea not relying on the CG WiFi... I think. BUT, if you're looking for internet access in places where there is no cell phone service, you're talking NOT cheap. If you're looking for internet where there IS cell service, using a smart phone as a hotspot is your best bet.

Good luck!

stacey short likes this.
  17. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I have had good luck using one of those WILSON CRADELS with my Verizon MIFI box in it. This has a small whip type antenna with it. Gets great SECURED WIFI from the Verizon net... Allows me to use up to five of my devices around a 50-foot area of my POPUP setup when camping off-grid...

I can also set my cell phone in the same cradle if I am in a bad reception area which is very unusual using the VERIZON towers all across the country...

In my case I usually only just check into the internet, keep on touch with the kids, pay some bills, and surf the internet sometimes...

Never have had good luck using the Camp Ground WIFI signals - too many users hooked up at same time...

Similar to this WILSON SLEEK setup
    [​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

18. roybraddy

I get great OTA HDTV reception on my POPUP SETUP using this added pole with BATWING antenna on it. Installs in about five minutes... Just point it towards the town that has the TV stations...

Can't remember a time we didn't pick up something to watch...

ADDED NOTE: I am only camping on the SOUTH East side of the US and obviously there is more likely more TV stations here then out in WEST US...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

You must camp far closer to transmission towers than we do, though we have yet to try for OTA channels while camping. We're often 2 or more hours away from a town that would have TV, and in mountains. There have been some places that getting radio channels has been iffy, at least without added antennas.
    Of course, I'm now used to the fact we can't really get OTA at home, we're in the shadow of the mountains - hard enough to get the radio channels in the house that have their transmitters on Sandia Crest.

20. roybraddy

That's probably true... I should have added here "ON THE EAST SIDE of the US"... I will edit that into my post... Thanks for fact's check...

Roy Ken
    https://i.imgur.com/SoQ6BfGm.jpg