Have started shoppping...

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
Seriously people, it's a container of poop.

You pull it out of the toilet, dump it in a campground toilet or sewer access, rinse it out, and put it back in the toilet.

It is less messy than changing a diaper or picking up your dog's poop. It is less gross than cleaning a moldy leftovers container.

If you can wipe your own butt, you can empty a cassette toilet (or a black tank).

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
Well, yeah...but a black tank is worse. It requires a stinky slinky!
I'll be finding out first hand this coming season. We have a black tank for the first time in my life. My brother has had one for years. He said it's no big deal and to remember that big rock or piece of concrete by the dump is there for a reason, use it! Dump black, flush toilet a couple times, dump gray, and rinse hose. He also says a box of disposable gloves are nice to have in the camper.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
It's so rare that I camp at a place with a dump station (I kinda avoid those places for a reason!) and as far as I can tell, there's nowhere to do it but in my sewer cleanout. So it's not THAT bad except that my trailer is so very low. And that you can't really conveniently flush a black tank in a popup trailer.

The portapotty is much easier and a cassette is just a fancy portapotty. :)

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
We have a Thetford portapotty and a Thetford cassette in the PUP. The cassette has a higher seat height, electric pump, and bigger tank. Otherwise they are the same concept. We keeping the portapotty and putting it in the privacy tent for most of the potty needs. Hoping I don't miss the cassette toilet. Cassettes and portables are so easy and simple.

Ladiesman

Super Active Member
Feb 6, 2018
I'll be finding out first hand this coming season. We have a black tank for the first time in my life. My brother has had one for years. He said it's no big deal and to remember that big rock or piece of concrete by the dump is there for a reason, use it! Dump black, flush toilet a couple times, dump gray, and rinse hose. He also says a box of disposable gloves are nice to have in the camper.
No big deal at all. You will be surprised at how easy it is and not gross at all. Gloves are nice like your brother said but I have never gotten anything on my hands. I guarantee you will not have a problem and after the first time it will just be part of your routine when you leave the camp ground.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
It's so rare that I camp at a place with a dump station (I kinda avoid those places for a reason!) and as far as I can tell, there's nowhere to do it but in my sewer cleanout. So it's not THAT bad except that my trailer is so very low. And that you can't really conveniently flush a black tank in a popup trailer.

I use my cleanout at home. Because it is a good way from the driveway and around a corner, I got a flojet portable macerator. Hook it up to a dedicated garden hose, shove the other end of the garden hose in the cleanout and dump.

To flush out the tank in my clipper, I just run all the fresh water tank contents into the black tank by holding down the toilet pedal. Then I drain the black tank again.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
I have the cassette toilet in the trailer and the black tank in the clipper. They are both very easy to deal with.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I'm guessing the Clipper also has a fairly petite black tank? That method would be perfect if I didn't have a popup. I wonder if I can get a kid to crawl into the closed-up popup to hold down the toilet pedal. Hmmm....I bet not. But now I'm thinking about other popped-down flushing techniques...

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
The clipper's black tank is 20 gallons. As for the pedal, I just use a rock or similar to hold it down since I can't be inside holding it down and outside opening and closing the valves.

And honestly, I don't worry all that much about cleaning the black tank "so I can eat out of it" like others do. I just make sure I get enough water running through the pipes to wash out anything that could affect the valves, etc.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
20! Nice. Yah I don't need it clean but a rinse now and then would be nice. It doesn't seem to stink yet, but I do leave the travel door open all the time to keep things a little fresher in there.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
My black and grey are both 20. My fresh is 40. With my bathroom sink hooked up to the black tank, I fill the grey and black equally. So, I run out of fresh and fill up the black and grey at the same time - about 14-15 days without being overly conservative.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
Human waste makes my stomach turn....I can field dress a deer or clean fish no problem.
Once Covid hit and rules on self contained toilets I bought a Thetford 565E and with help here
from others I have found it to be handy...I have dumped it at home in the toilet and at dump station.
No stink really at all just a citrus smell from the chemicals...But I still struggle a little with the thought of what I am doing
but it's doable.
No way am I pooping in a bag and dealing with the aftermath.
For the price of a nice a porta potty I see no reason to ever have to.
Anyone who does I admire you... But not this guy...lol:grin:

Last edited:

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
I noticed that some of the porta potties on construction sites now have a small sort of halve round shelf in the corner. We were debating the reason for it. A few guys said it was for a bottle of hand sanitizer due to Chirona. My money is on its to have a place to sit your lunch box or sandwich.

WoNHUSA

Jan 19, 2021
Thanks for the good info so far...I have also found an older, smaller Jayco for sale. A 2010 Jayco 1007 for about $5500. It looks to be in good shape (from the pictures and description) but I have not seen it yet. I looking at the NADA guide and comparing the 12 UD vs. the 1007 over the course of time, it looks like the 12 UD holds its value better. I have used a similar 12 foot box trailer for the comparison as the 12UD model has not been around "forever" and it seems like a fair way to do the comparison. Anyhow, using the NADA pricing guidelines, it appears the a 2010 will have a steeper price drop of the next 2-3 years than the 2017 will. I think I am explaining that correctly...

As I said the 2010 1007 looks good, but it is smaller and the floor plan looks to have much less storage and counter space, not the 12UD has an unbelievable amount either. It looks like when the dinettes in the 1007 are set up as beds there is just a very small amount of floor space open right in front of the door...I think that this may be too small.

Does anyone have any experience with the Jayco 1007...we are a family of four and hope to enjoy and be comfortable on the trip. Thank again for the help

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Does anyone have any experience with the Jayco 1007..
. I used to own a 1990 Jayco 1006 which was our camper when I was growing up. My floorplan though only had one table and a bunch of cabinets. So not quite the same. For a family of 5 it was quite tight. When growing up it was me and two other teenagers along with my parents. The boys argued a lot unfortunately due to “he bothering me” as there wasn’t much space on the full bed to fit both boys without one touching the other. I had the honors to change the table into a bed and back every single day because my mom insisted to keep the table as a table . That table is crazy heavy and awkward which got old fast not to mention needing to make the bed often. If your only planning on using the camper to sleep in and nothing else it could work, but if your stuck in inclement weather, cook and eat inside you are going to find it’s incredibly tight. I’m not sure about your floorplan but if you have a table infront of each bed your going to have to crawl over the table every time you go to bed which may get old. If your kids are still very young and need to get up in the middle of the night will cause someone getting stepped on and woken up. Just something to think about. If I were you, take your entire family to see it, and I mean really see it. Pretend your putting kids to bed, pretend it’s raining and your stuck inside for an hour. Stay in the camper as close to an hour if possible. That will give you a better idea if it could possibly work.

WoNHUSA

Jan 19, 2021
Thanks for the info about the 1006. As you can see, the floorplan for the 12UD has one dinette to the side. That one can be converted to a smaller sleeping area if needed and then the U-dinette space can be used as a bed as well. I am thinking that parents on one end...the queen bed and the 2 boys on the other...the full bed. However, I can see how climbing over another bed/person could become tedious and annoying over time. It would be nice to have that extra sleeping space if needed, but as you said it may / would get old if you are the one (and it would probably be me) shifting it back and forth each night and morning.

3437-12UD.png

Again, we are thinking that a pop-up would be "easier" than setting up two tents, four cots, four sleeping pads, and all the other stuff that we wrestle with in the tents. The pop-up would be "mostly" for sleeping but would be used for shelter in the rain etc. We currently spend time in our 10 - 14 screen tent, along with a picnic table, coolers, food storage bins, and dog when it is raining, so we are thinking a day under the awning and inside the pop up would be similar (maybe even better)...I mean, isn't one of the big reasons to go camping is to spend time together? Playing cards...telling jokes...arguing about who got the last of the Oreos and that sorta thing?

How sturdy are those dinette beds? If I step on the U-dinette bed is it going to support me and whoever is sleeping on it? What should be considered a safe weight limit for stepping or sleeping?