Have to sell our pop-up, desperately need advice

Discussion in 'For Sale and Wanted' started by FiveInAFlagstaff, Jan 23, 2020.

1. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

I’m so sad to write this post, but I need to sell our pop-up. I’ve never done this before and don’t want to misrepresent or make a mistake that will come back and bite me in the behind.
    It’s in very good condition, a couple of issues, but it could go camping this weekend if my husband hadn’t totaled our tow vehicle and bought a sports car instead. (Whole other story going on there...)
    It is a 2013 Forest River Flagstaff 228D MAC/LTD series. It has always been stored in our garage. There are a couple of minor repairs that may need to be done, but I'm not inclined to even try it. One of the steps to the bunk end needs to be fixed. It came loose on our last trip. It has a heater, heated mattresses, fridge, swing up galley with fridge, cassette toilet/shower, slide-out dinette, power lift, and 2-year-old marine battery. Used mostly locally, one fabulous trip to the Grand Canyon for a week, but never did get to take it to Yosemite or Redwoods.
    What is the best way to list it? RV Trader? Facebook Market? I tried to get a local RV dealer to put it on consignment, but they have too many pop-ups. NADA places used value at $7045, and we will be including over $750 of extras such as a BAL leveler, chocks, levels, supports, extra lamps, and fuses, and all those things that you end up buying for your popup like hoses, water regulator, etc. We also have a gray water collection tank with wheels. All manuals are in a three-ring binder, along with packing lists and menu planning sheets.
    Assume I know nothing about selling an RV because I pretty much don't. How much should I expect to get? How do I handle the transaction? The title is free and clear.
    Any advice or articles you can point me to would be much appreciated! Thank you.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

First off when using Nada, look online and try and find an original brochure for your year,make and model and see what items were truly optional and what was included as part of the trim level . (Just because it has a fridge doesn't mean the fridge was optional).
    The when on Nada ONLY select the items that were options..

As for the extras, do a quick look at what the stuff sells for used.. and go with those prices. Your bal leveler can fetch $100 easily used and the grey water totes another $100 .. so ball park for al the extras would be 50% of their current retail price.

3. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I'd skip RV trader. I would sell it on fb marketplace first. Buyers are not as anonymous as craigslist. It's hard to pack up everything to take to a neutral site for safety. Take lots of pictures inside and out. Take pictures of the gear you're including. Also, don't be offended by lowball offers, just negotiate until they walk away.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

IMHO, $7,000 is in the ballpark. If you can get $7,000, consider it a win. Anything above that price is icing on the cake.

No matter where you advertise, be wary of scammers. It will happen. Trust NO ONE and trust your own instincts.

Cash is king and don't give them the title until the cash is in your hand. Bring them to the DMV to transfer the title. DO NOT sign the title over and rely on the buyer to transfer the title. I speak from experience.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

yes cash is king....

6. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

One of your largest issues is your popup is big and heavy, that limites your pool of buyers. Also I almost bought an end of year model of similar popup with the slide in 2018 for 12k new. So 7k seems fair, but you may only be able to get 6k.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  7. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

You might also want to try the letgo app. We have sold many items using this app. Good luck with your sale.

8. LyndonReid

LyndonReid New Member

Hi there. Curious if you PUP is still for sale?

9. Backtonature

Backtonature Active Member

well, I hope you have found a place to list you pup for sale? too bad that the sports car left behind a pup :(. I wish you luck on your sale[:D]

FiveInAFlagstaff likes this.
  10. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

where is the PUP? im looking for one!

11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

you are selling it "as-is, where is", so just sell it and don't worry about anything you forgot to say or did not know about

12. IslePilot

IslePilot Member

I just sold my 2007 Niagara today for a $7400.

Here are things I found:

* Facebook Marketplace is the way to go. I only received scam offers from Craigslist. FB was great and I had it sold within hours of posting.
    * Here in CO, I was able to get my asking price which was NADA average retail...camping is a great vacation in our Covid world and prices seem to have escalated.
    * Only accept cash and only hand over the title and bill of sale after you have the cash in your possession.
    * Print two copies of the Bill of Sale and keep one for yourself to prove you sold it if something strange happens as alluded to in a previous post.
    * Don't let the buyer take your plates. Pull them off so they have to get their own.
    * Be honest about anything you know that is wrong, you will sleep better, but you don't have to go digging for something you don't know about...private sales are always as is/buyer beware.

Good luck, it is easier than you think.

Keith

13. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

Hi sorry about the delay, but we are in So. CA if anyone is interested. It is still available. I usually get emails for a response but didn’t this time. Thank you all for the help! My husband started having seizures a month ago, so it got put on the back burner. He is doing great now.

14. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Good to hear your husband is doing better!! Good luck selling the pup.