Have you added outside access to inside storage areas?

davekro

Super Active Member
Aug 30, 2019
SF Bay Area, CA
Without the luxury of a front storage bin with side access, I really like the idea of outside doors (big enough to be useful) to access inside storage areas like under bench seating. We are considering upgrading from our 10' box to a 12' box. The 12' box, like the shortlist (to us*) Fleetwood Sun Valley, has a good amount of inside storage. It just seems a shame more Pups do not have at least one outside storage access door. Maybe these are more common on newer pups?

*Thank you CampingFamily1 for sharing your love of your 2007 and the list of pros & cons as well as when roofs changed! ;o)

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
I have added outside doors, doors at end of dinette benches, and a removable power cord. All to make storage spaces more useful.
Also if you don’t use something leave it home.

gardenbliss

Super Active Member
Dec 9, 2013
San Diego
I have cut an outside storage area into my camper, to the left of the door, going into the front cabinet. I bought the storage access door on e-bay and the color was an exact match. I posted pictures of this mod a while back. It was scary cutting into the camper, but the end result is so useful and looks great.

davekro

Super Active Member
Aug 30, 2019
SF Bay Area, CA
I have cut an outside storage area into my camper, to the left of the door, going into the front cabinet. I bought the storage access door on e-bay and the color was an exact match. I posted pictures of this mod a while back. It was scary cutting into the camper, but the end result is so useful and looks great.
Would you post a link to your thread on installing the door? A link to the e-bay door would be very helpful as well.
Thanks in advance.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
thought about doing so and decided against it. Access doors lead to more risk of leaks or theft, and a loss in storage volume efficiency. Also, we don't want to weaken the "box" walls in our Aliner.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
Great looking install! What was the height and width of the door? Has is proven to be a big enough opening to get all you would like in/out?
Do you have a link to the door you used?

This is a cut and paste from an email from Aliner. I was working on a front inside storage cabinet door modification at the same time. That is what the U and F-Channel brown plastic strips were for, not the door install.
The black baggage door that we use is 13 5/8” x 16 5/8”. That is the only size we use currently and as well on the 2018 model year units. Here are the part numbers and pricing of each:
Part# LD1601002 – Baggage door: 13 5/8” x 16 5/8” - $89.88
Part# IWTR160702 – 1/8” U-Channel - $1.54 per foot
Part# IWTR160704 – 3/16” F-Channel - $1.54 per foot
There would be a $10.00 handling fee + UPS shipping cost added to the cost of the parts above. If you would like to order, call us at 724-237-5227 with the part numbers I provided. We only accept MasterCard or Visa as payment options. At the time of your call, we would get your information and place the order at that time. Have a good day.

Kevin Carmean

Yes, it is large enough for what we needed. This storage is under the back bed on the left side, only (AC is on the right side and the converter is in the middle). I had replaced the 4" AC flex duct with insulated duct, so I supported it above the storage area to keep stuff from gouging it. In the storage area, I have a camper tool box, two bag chairs, the campsite flag stand, wood stabilizer and jack shims, case of lego leveling blocks, stabilizer handle, two 25ft 30 amp power cords, two 25ft water hoses, and probably another thing or two I've forgotten.

One thing to watch out for: I leveled the camper, then installed the door level. Wrong! Level the camper, but just get the same measurement from the outside bottom trim on the camper. Visually, it will look better. Since the camper frame is so borderline weak, they sag. My door is just a little closer to the bottom trim in the front than the back.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
The signature says yours is a 2018. That's disappointing as they upgraded the frames about 2010 ish (???) What size is your frame? Mine is 2x5 and I have no known problems.
The 2018 Scout main frame is 2x5. If I go over a speed bump or railroad track too quick, the door side latch will slip off the catch. This is partially due to the door opening allowing more movement of that side. I run the latch in one turn when it does it, which I've done a couple of times. The large roof seal has been replaced twice, due to splits. As the material compress over time, the latch will loosen. Setup calls for 1/8" seal crush, by the top roof, when latched.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
The large roof seal has been replaced twice, due to splits.

My frame maybe flexing but hasnt taken a set like the old frames.

No door ajar problems.

It is assumed those were warranty replacements

My seal was split X2 vertically when I got it from P.Owner. I guessed this was just from the seal drying out and shrinking.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
It is assumed those were warranty replacements

My seal was split X2 vertically when I got it from P.Owner. I guessed this was just from the seal drying out and shrinking.
The wide roof seal was replaced twice under warranty. The seals split because they were pieced together. Aliner now use a single full width seal.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
Aliner now use a single full width seal.

It had about 1' long pieces on either side and about a 5' in the center?

Wish I knew where to get that seal material by the roll. Aliner is very proud of theirs. Then there is the "we dont want orders under 75.00 " fees and shipping. REad elsewhere it is only good for a couple years